Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Grize_dale lane F0x LDNP

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
can anyone confirm this lane is only to be driven WEST to EAST? starting at the visitor centre since the information i obtained from cumbria council and LDNPA indicates this,

but a chap from http://www.kankku.co.uk/

coming down the lane EAST to WEST informed us today we werewrong, and due to myself not being local and driving it every day how should I know...

:icon-question:

Last edited:
Definitely West to East. Kankku are well known for not following the rules.

yep you are right Andy, funnily enough I met them on that very same lane the last time I was up there, an absolute numpty of an instructor to be honest they very nearly rolled a landy as they went past us. he got the driver to go up the bank past us and by god I though it
was going over

Annoyed in hindsight i didnt take a photo and then us all have a brew and make him reverse. Since his clients would have complained sittibg there waiting. Next time. And i will carry printouts of rules next time i go.

the men of kankku reply in defence:

Hi Andrew and thank you for your email - I do appreciate you getting in touch with us and although I have no wish to engage in a protracted correspondence, as I live right by the route I'll honour you with a reply.

Firstly, we would dispute the details of your conversation with the driver, (what was actually said is probably half way between what you have both claimed) but we are sorry about any great inconvenience that may have been caused with your group of 5/6 vehicles in Grizedale.

Secondly, although the route is still classified as recommended/suggested driven West to East, 1 way, it was the centre of debate some years ago on safety and environmental grounds.

The reason for the debate were as follows:

Safety
It was generally accepted that other users are directed to walk/cycle on this track in the direction West to East and that passing them on the narrow sections of the trail required for them to stop and for vehicles to drive past them, creating a nuisance and also a hazard should people slip off the bank when being passed by vehicles. (its always safer for a vehicle to stop and pedestrian to walk past it as an East/West direction would support in most encounters)

Environmental
The track surface on the West side is largely moveable and driving uphill was more likely to cause the surface to migrate down the slope than driving downhill.

Implementation
The direction to reverse the suggested 1 way so that is was West/East was agreed but the paperwork wasn't completed before the LDNPA largely disinvested in their management of the trails around 2005/6/7.

The decider for us
When you consider that many of the pedestrians on this trail were parties of 20/30/40 school children, we felt that our moral duty of safety to others, locked in with a strong environmental concern, was of greater importance than our allegiance to an ill thought out and quite frankly dangerous voluntary restraint which it had been agreed should be altered. I suppose we have been left with a situation in which you are being guided to do something which is clearly wrong - not wanting to be silly about it but would you jump off a cliff if the lndpa requested?

Convenient
As an aside, it is convenient for the authorities to witness a bit of infighting amongst users of the trail, it helps to dissipate the objection to their closures, so I would suggest you do what you do for whatever reasons you think are more powerful and we will do the same.

To Consider
Whilst I'm not asking for you to agree with us, you are free to choose what direction you travel in, safe or unsafe, damaging or undamaging, East or West, perhaps just accept that in this case we consider our moral duty to be of higher authority than our allegiance to the restraint.

Regards

Nick Fieldhouse

MEN OF KANKKU - OFF ROAD DRIVING
Victoria Street Windermere LA231AD

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know Land Cruisers are awesome, but didn't know that one LC = 2 x any other vehicle? There were only 3 of us ...

Being picky I know but ...

Also - this is classed as a ROAD and people should not walk down the middle of a road. End Of. I still blame them for my tyre - next time I'm there, I might pop in and have some words. The posted regulations still say one thing - they've chosen to interpret them differently. Plonkas.

i replied pointing out that there was an unrelated group of landrovers behind us....

Frankly I would reply pointing out that safety should not really be a problem as vehicles should go slowly enough not to create a danger. Similarly most people will move out of the way of a vehicle as it approaches and the issue of slipping off a bank applies no matter which way a vehicle is going. By going the wrong way they do create a hazard for other vehicles as well as causing environmental damage where vehicles are forced into the verges to pass. The whole point of the West to East order was to try to reduce damage from vehicles meeting in opposite directions. Arbitrarily choosing to ignore a request from the LDNPA is wrong and creates a reason for them to impose further restrictions. I can't arbitrarily decide that the building regs are wrong and do my own thing, nor can I arbitrarily decide to ignore the speed limit as I think it is non-sensical on that particular section of road.

Everyone else abides by the recommendation so what gives them the right to think they know better?

the sort of response one can expect I guess, they are a business not doing it for pleasure, what they don't say is that this is the most economical way for them to run their fixed routes

"most economical way for them to run their fixed routes"

aye that's what Andrew reckoned

Besides safety was never an issue for us as we had a chartered safety consultant in the team :whistle:

Back