Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Guiness World Record Attempt

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
OK guys......................

I asked Cris if he could create a private members area so that I can show you all what I'm building without everyone in the world with an internet connection being able to see. Thanks Cris. :icon-biggrin:

I will get all the pics ready and write up the first installment shortly. :icon-wink:

Waiting on the edge of my seat now! Is it going to be based on number of posts?

Yeah should be Grant, but I'm not sure how many Cris set it to. :icon-smile:

Will get some pics and the start of the build up very soon. :thumbup:

The Challenge

OK.....................................

So the idea is to be the first people to cross the Simpson Desert using only solar power. :icon-cool:

So the plan is to modify a small light weight 4wd. Remove the engine, gearbox, doors, roof and anything else we can to try and cut the weight down. Everything we remove will be carefully weighed. :icon-smile:

Then we will fit a large forklift truck style electric motor underneath and feed the power from this into the transfercase.

The engine bay will then be filled with batteries and solar panels will be mounted on the bonnet and on a special light weight frame mounted the full length of the car. :icon-biggrin:

We know a standard 1litre Suzuki Sierra (SJ410) has enough power to get up all the sand dunes in the Simpson Desert, so by weighing everything we remove and weighing everything we fit and by carefully calculating the power output of the electric motor versus the power from the standard 1 litre petrol engine we believe we can do it and make it work. :icon-ugeek:

We have a lot of sponsors on board and have already secured the loan of as many Optima batteries as we need and all the solar panels. We've also got various magazine, TV and tourism organizations supporting us. :icon-biggrin:

The little Suzuki we got for this project had been wrapped around a lamp post and the one side was pretty bad. Sadly I don't think I got any pics from when we removed all the bent bits.

Our next job on the project was to take it outside and give the underneath a good clean.

P3040123_zpsd87fc528.jpg

P3040124_zpsaf5589d8.jpg

P3040125_zps449841f9.jpg

P3040126_zps0857a60d.jpg

P3040127_zps2640047c.jpg

We could then get it on the hoist and start removing bits.

P3040128_zps8b5b74ad.jpg

P3040129_zps9817d1ef.jpg

All the bits were kept together ready for weighing.

P3040130_zpsd68d8d81.jpg

P3040139_zps074a6b2e.jpg

Engine and gearbox out next.

P3040140_zpscc149ca5.jpg

P3040143_zpsd367c07e.jpg

So for now the plan is to put the power from the electric motor straight into the transfercase, but if that doesnt work very well we could just run the prop shafts straight off the motor.

P3040144_zps7c71725e.jpg

P3040146_zps0d6dec8f.jpg

We wanted to remove the front doors to reduce weight, but wanted some sort of door to atleast keep the driver in.

P3040147_zpsc6bf059a.jpg

So the idea was to have super light half doors. These are the pics I was given for inspiration.

P3040148_zps9cc5885a.jpg

P3040149_zpsd24419db.jpg

But I had a better idea.

Cardboard first.

P3040150_zpscb94cfcc.jpg

I bent some 20mm steel tube up to the shape of the cardboard template. But because I didnt have the correct former it kinked the tube. :doh:

(Weve now bought the correct former, so when I make the other side I will make a new one for this side.)

P3040151_zps61c034be.jpg

I picked up some clamps to suit the tube.

P3050154_zps8e548059.jpg

P3050155_zps6aefa241.jpg

And bolted on the new door.

P3050156_zps14086c84.jpg

P3050157_zps4c35d8d6.jpg

P3050158_zps182a2d85.jpg

P3050159_zps81095291.jpg

The doors will obviously have some more tube in the middle to close them in a bit, but they will be so light compared to the standard ones. :icon-biggrin:

Were waiting for the forklift motor to be delivered, once we have that I can start mounting it underneath and then make a huge battery tray for under the bonnet to hold all the batteries. :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very exciting Ben! Such an awesome challenge which is all about compromise. Weight vs Power.

My first thought was could you have two smaller motors bolted directly to the diff? Saves weight of the transfer case etc

Awesome!

Now, how are you going to pass the ADR's with out a side impact bar?!

That is very cool. Am really looking forward to following this!!

Nice one dude :icon-cool:

When is the trip likely to take place or do you not have a timeframe really?

Last edited:
:icon-cool: Wow Ben, you do continue to amaze us with your ideas, this certainly will be an epic trip, all the best matey. :thumbup:

Hey Ben, you're really up for a challenge with this one mate!

Not only the challenge of the trip, but the challenge of all the questions you'll get...

How far is it across the Simpson? Is it planned as a one-way trip? How long will it take you? Ha ha, it's started! :lol:

Awesome project.
Are you allowed to use the motor to provide charge or pure solar power to charge the batteries?
Some electric cars do it under braking/coasting so the motor becomes a generator, every extra bit helps.

Epic project, looking forward to more updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Were not entirely sure if it will work or not yet, but we have got a very very intelligent mathematical genius on board who has done a lot of very complicated calculations and he thinks it will work. :icon-ugeek:

Once we have the motor in and working and all the batteries we can work out how much range we have before the batteries go flat, and then how long they will take to charge.

So it might be that we drive in the morning for say 3 hours and then have to stop and let the batteries charge for an hour or 2 and then carry on and drive for another 3 hours etc. :icon-biggrin:

A lot of motorsport/4x4 events are not looked at favorably by a lot of people and organizations due to the environment and climate change etc.

Where as this is obviously a nice clean(ish) challenge so should be popular with everyone when it appears in the media. :icon-cool:

My first thought was could you have two smaller motors bolted directly to the diff? Saves weight of the transfer case etc

Interesting idea mate, thanks. I will mention it to my boss. :thumbup:

Now, how are you going to pass the ADR's with out a side impact bar?!

Wont be an issue Ed as it wont be getting driven on the road. :icon-biggrin:

When is the trip likely to take place or do you not have a timeframe really?

My boss was talking about this year, but I think it might be next year now.

The crossing will have to be done in Winter and were already in Autumn now, so I think it will be next year now. :icon-biggrin:

How far is it across the Simpson? Is it planned as a one-way trip? How long will it take you? Ha ha, it's started! :lol:

Not sure how far to be honest mate, also not sure how long it will take.

We want to be able to travel atleast 100km per day. :icon-biggrin:

Are you allowed to use the motor to provide charge or pure solar power to charge the batteries?
Some electric cars do it under braking/coasting so the motor becomes a generator, every extra bit helps.

No its got to be 100% solar only. :icon-biggrin:

Any more news on this Ben ... sounds an awesome project to be working on. ..

This looks really interesting.

How many people will be in the vehicle? Better start losing weight now :) Will it be a self supported trip, or will there be support vehicles carrying food/water/gear?

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Hoping to post an update this week. :icon-biggrin:

I haven't actually done anymore work on it since I last posted but this week I'm hoping to remove more unnecessary weight, fit some tube doors I've made, fit a windscreen surround and windscreen.

Last week we finally picked up the forklift motor and control box. :ugeek:

Our auto electrician will be bench testing that to make sure it works and then I can make some brackets and get it mounted underneath and mate it to the transfer box. :icon-biggrin:

It will have 1 driver at a time and a full support crew which I'm hoping to be on.

We will most likely trailer it all the way to the desert and then do the world record attempt and camp each night next to the electric Suzuki.

We expect to have quite a big crew with us, maybe 20 vehicles when we've included all the media and sponsors etc. :icon-cool:

Last edited:
Back