Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GVM - Discussion/Debate

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
So Vrecha's question on GVM has prompted a question.

We know what the GVM and individual axle limits are.....

So explain what happens if you exceed these limits having "beefed up" the suspension and ancillaries.

Does the max Axle weight limit increase? Does the overall max GVM increase?

There are a hell of a lot of vehicles out there that far exceed max GVM... Mine for a start !

What's the consensus gents?

Last edited:
OK, I'm not embarrassed, so I'll get the first dumb question out of the way.

Does GMV = GVW? Because if it doesn't, and after trying to look it up, I havent a clue on the opening agenda of the discussion. Sorry.

Suspect that should be GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass. To the best of my knowledge upping the spring capability ups the load rating but you probably need an engineers certificate to prove it. Gawd help you in sunny SA if they pull you over at a weigh-bridge and you are over the limits per the identification plate. The sods make you unload enough to be legal. You either need to unload lots and take some away or get someone to come get it for you ...

Thanks Gary.. dunno why I typed GMV.. Can you correct my title please as your a "super-mod"!

Raising the ability of a vehicle won't affect its manufacturers rating, unless you get it re-rated by re-engineering, and re-registered as such, IMO.

The regs drive me nuts in Romania, because on my registration details the tyre size for my 80 is shown as 235/75/16 and the police are able to impose a fine and 3 points per tyre for my 305s. Where's the sense in that, may I ask? The last plod to have ago told me straight, have a letter from Toyota approving the use of 305s on your vehicle, take it to the registration office, and have the vehicle's details changed. Alternatively run 235s, take your pick.

So, I would think it irrelevant that the modded vehicle is capable of heavier loads, the legal limit will be as the paperwork.

Last edited:
Gawd help you in sunny SA if they pull you over at a weigh-bridge and you are over the limits per the identification plate. The sods make you unload enough to be legal. You either need to unload lots and take some away or get someone to come get it for you ...

Takes me back a few years with the ministry telling me my HGV gravel load was about a ton to heavy over the front axles, I then spend half an hour shovelling it back towards the rear axles, get told it is perfect, leave weigh station and stop at first set of lights and the result.............overweight on front axles :icon-exclaim:

What do they teach these guys?

Oops sorry rant off!

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That'll be a laugh, trying to replate a Landcruiser or any other vehicle for that matter. Impossible to overcome the manufacturers plate I would have thought.

The regs drive me nuts in Romania,

There was me thinking it was only Spain! I don't feel so lonely now Clive, now I see why you did not donate the headlights to me. I am still flipping coins to see if I should bother with not only tyre size changes but the bloody silly 5/7/8 seat rules which conflict with the 8 seat 7 belt rule ! :wtf:

regards

Dave

There was me thinking it was only Spain! I don't feel so lonely now Clive, now I see why you did not donate the headlights to me. I am still flipping coins to see if I should bother with not only tyre size changes but the bloody silly 5/7/8 seat rules which conflict with the 8 seat 7 belt rule ! :wtf: regards Dave

I wouldn't mind if it was safety related, such as lights, brakes and stuff, but when did going up a few tyre sizes make a car or truck less safe?

Seat belts yes, but that should not be not rocket science, surely!

I wouldn't mind if it was safety related, such as lights, brakes and stuff, but when did going up a few tyre sizes make a car or truck less safe?

Seat belts yes, but that should not be not rocket science, surely!

Going up tyre sizes (diameter) does in fact reducing braking power but the common step up of one or two sizes is not going to make that much difference, some of the regs are a PITA IMO.

regards

Dave

Back