Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

h55f Gearbox issue

jackson123

Country Flag
austria
After realising that my gearbox was leaking in my 75 series, I started to check that all the bolts holding the gearbox and transfer together were tight. In the process of doing this I snapped the bolt in the top right of the photo uploaded, the one with the offset washer thing.

1. Is this an important bolt ( do I bother replacing)
  2. What could cause my gearbox to be leaking from the rear of the transfer case
Any help would be appreciated, note that is not my photo just one I had found on the net.

Cheers

2_19cc8abd808f13e7e3346427acf0d0c7.jpg

It's quite an important bolt that one. The shaped washer thats under the bolt is a locking tab that stops the shaft from spinning. Without the washer and bolt in place the transfer centre shaft will either spin or work its way out.

If the tread is ok which it should be then it's just a task to get the threaded part of the bolt and refit the washer with a new bolt.. shouldn't be too hard to do. But a challenge just the same..

As the head of the bolt has come off, there wount be any tension on it so if you lightly tap a centre punch in the middle then it may shock it loose. Then you may get a pick and try to turn it out possibly! Good luck with it mate!

I invested (and I mean invested) in this set of extractors. Used several times in the last year... phenomenally good. Will remove studs even if you drill them wildly off centre.

Like Iwan said a good tap with a small drift might loosen cos it's not under much tension.

drilling it might loosen it as well, esp if you you give it a few seconds on the hammer setting once you've got the hole started.

https://shop.snapon.com/search?q=E1020

good luck

Like this best things ever
95C2015E-0FA7-484E-A78D-D2425401A4A6.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
gearbox leaking from the rear of transfer case= seal on prop shaft. Relatively easy fix after dropping prop and removing the shaft from transfer case. see youtube for easy reference

Back