Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Halfords 40L cooler / fridge.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So while in Halfords over the weekend, I saw they had a special on the coolers.
Before you all roll your eyes and shoot me, here's why I bought one:
- They are cheap (£70 IIRC on special) for a 40L jobbie.
- They cool to 16 below ambient (last I checked, this was England and I'm hear most of the time so...)
- It's bloody large for the price.

I really was not expecting a lot from it and made sure that I could return it if I am not happy. ;)

Boy, was I surprised at....how cr@p it is. :lol:

It can be plugged into 240 or 12 with supplied leads. The room where it stands was a cool 21-22C. With this in mind, I was expecting 22-16 = 6C. Let's be pessimistic and go for 10c.
Stocked with beer (from fridge), a couple of of 2L water bottles from tap (cold water) I stood back and watched the digital thermometer do nothing. A couple of taps on the LCD (Hey, works in the movies) and still nothing.

A full 24 hours later the contents had cooled and in the case of the beer, warmed, to 12C. No further would it go. In about 3 hours it had gone from 22 to.......20. Rock on.
I unplugged it this morning before leaving for work (around 7) and when I got home (around 7) it was at 16C. So, once "cold" it keeps its contents, err, tepid. In fairness, the room where it stands gets a log of sun (though it was in the shade) during the day. To loose 4 degrees in 12 hours is not that bad?

Having a look at the Peltier (gismo that makes it cold) it is pretty small. I've got a couple which are about twice the size and get bloody cold.
Maybe the smaller 'boxes work better due to volume?

So, if you are planning a 24 hour trip in the UK, with the aircon on in the car, and would like a mildly cold can of coke when you arrive, you're in luck. :D
Anything else, walk away.

Another bad point about it is the power consumption. 45W @ 12V is pretty hefty for not very much effect. You'll kill your batteries pretty quickly with it.

After Lincomb, this will be returned to halfords. :cool:

For not much more (in multiples :whistle: ) I can get a NL, Engel or Waeco...

If you were ever wondering, like I was, "maybe it's not that bad?" - it is. Don't buy one (The Halfords one at least)

Market research to continue...

Not that I usually frequent Halfwits, but I did spot them when walking past the other day & did wonder.....

Sounds like it "loses" cooling faster than a standard coolerbox packed with ice/dry-ice... :p

if you want cold beer withoutspending a fortune look at the coleman xtreme range:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... GYQ8gIwAQ#

as good a coolbox as you'll find. really will keep ice for 5 days. with a handfull of cool blocks you can have cold beer for a long weekend. they really are good. A world away from halfords boxes. nothing to go wrong, no electric needed. if you're off the beaten track just but a bag of ice every few days.

I had forgotten that I have one of those somewhere in the house... I will try it on the next trip - thanks for the reminder!!! :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have just had a weekend away camping. I had 2 fridges running and both were halfords specials.

The smaller 7L fridge is shaped like a centre console and works great. Its only big enough to put a small selection of drinks in but works a treat. If left on overnight it wont flatten the battery and can even ice up. Great for short camping trips or long journeys. It also has a hot or cold setting which is great for keeping a small take away warm.

The larger 14L is pretty useless. We set off from Aberdeen on a warm day. After a days driving it was still only just chilled and was only half full. I ended up giving it away.

Time to invest in a decent one me thinks :thumbup:

Andrew Prince said:
Gotta be easier than hauling along a fire extinguisher too, Gav ;)
You're damn right there AP - lucky escape had by all... Still mystified by that occurence but safe to say the compressed air tubing won't be deployed again in a hurry...

Back