Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

halogen headlight bulbs

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
just ordered some new headlights today
thinking about buying some new halogen bulbs to put in
i've had Philips bullbs in there for years but i'd like something brighter,but not interested in LED bulbs

any ideas on some decent bright halogens?

cheers

just ordered some new headlights today
thinking about buying some new halogen bulbs to put in
i've had Philips bullbs in there for years but i'd like something brighter,but not interested in LED bulbs

any ideas on some decent bright halogens?

cheers
Something to note with halogen bulbs is the stronger (brighter) the bulb the shorter its average life span , toyota H4 standard bulbs last a average of 1000 hours and can last a a fair bit longer as the standard bulb is not very bright maybe thats the reason for its low brightness Toyota may have gone for longevity over brightness , philips extreme and osram night breakers last a average 500 hours at best and many dont last even that long .

The only halogen bulbs I’ve seen that are noticeably brighter than standard offerings are PIAA Extreme’s.

My original Toyota bulbs were still going strong after 13 years and 120k miles. I changed to LED's a year ago and they make a huge difference. Granted they were not cheap, but I'm very happy with them. Had no issues at the recent MOT.

Out of interest why are you excluding LED's as replacement bulbs? For reference these are the ones I got:
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs-h4-twin

My original Toyota bulbs were still going strong after 13 years and 120k miles. I changed to LED's a year ago and they make a huge difference. Granted they were not cheap, but I'm very happy with them. Had no issues at the recent MOT.

Out of interest why are you excluding LED's as replacement bulbs? For reference these are the ones I got:
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs-h4-twin
I agree I have had LEDs in my 120 for 4 years now , with no problems , the improvement is so vast I could never go back to halogens now , before I went to LEDs I tried Philips xenon extreme and osram night-breakers and they were only slightly better than the standard bulbs .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you want your car to look young again use led lights.
I bought a pair from auxbeam in the usa or china and are super bright with an ice white/blue colour to them I got the foglights to match.
I have just ordered h4 and hb4 led,s for my 120 to treat myself.
Plus side is less power needed to power them so batteries last longer.
Down sise they can cost between £25 to 60 but my ones were £32 h4bulbs £38 hb4 with error free plugs.
They are not cheap for a reason as perfect beam alignments just like factory lights.
Auxbeam.com.
Just look on youtube as plenty on there .my advise get ones with between 6000,8000 luminums as perfect colour.

Be interested to see how these go in the long term Tony. I’ve had two sets give trouble from China but they’re developing new ones each week it seems. Neither had perfect beam patterns and they interfered with the radio, but the Phillips Ultinon that I replaced them with dont. If you think £35 is dear then the Phillips ones won’t be for you but my MOT tester said they were the best beam LEDs he had seen.

Be interested to see how these go in the long term Tony. I’ve had two sets give trouble from China but they’re developing new ones each week it seems. Neither had perfect beam patterns and they interfered with the radio, but the Phillips Ultinon that I replaced them with dont. If you think £35 is dear then the Phillips ones won’t be for you but my MOT tester said they were the best beam LEDs he had seen.

Well Auxbeam make a good led bulb with perfect beam coverage.
They have a site in USA and another site in China.
I always pick China because you don't get hasseled over import duties for some reason.
The colour I had on my lexus was perfect for me and as led never got hot.
I have tried a lot of bulbs but Auxbeam were the only led that I tried and worked perfectly

If you want your car to look young again use led lights.
I bought a pair from auxbeam in the usa or china and are super bright with an ice white/blue colour to them I got the foglights to match.
I have just ordered h4 and hb4 led,s for my 120 to treat myself.
Plus side is less power needed to power them so batteries last longer.
Down sise they can cost between £25 to 60 but my ones were £32 h4bulbs £38 hb4 with error free plugs.
They are not cheap for a reason as perfect beam alignments just like factory lights.
Auxbeam.com.
Just look on youtube as plenty on there .my advise get ones with between 6000,8000 luminums as perfect colour.

Well Auxbeam make a good led bulb with perfect beam coverage.
They have a site in USA and another site in China.
I always pick China because you don't get hasseled over import duties for some reason.
The colour I had on my lexus was perfect for me and as led never got hot.
I have tried a lot of bulbs but Auxbeam were the only led that I tried and worked perfectly

Hi Tony

Im interested in LEDS too...i run a landcruiser 120 LC5 2007 but no idea what type of bulb i need....just wondering if youhave the same truck and what you bought ?

thanks

Hi Tony

Im interested in LEDS too...i run a landcruiser 120 LC5 2007 but no idea what type of bulb i need....just wondering if youhave the same truck and what you bought ?

thanks
I know you were not asking me , but you need H4 for the headlights (they are high and low beam in the same bulb) fog lights are Hb4 and front side lights are w5w wedge bulbs , you will find after fitting LED headlights the side lights will look a horrible pale yellow that reminds you of a old torch light that is very nearly out of battery power , and for £2 on ebay you can get a pack of 10 led side light bulbs leaving you with plenty spare that you could also put a couple in the number plate also that match the 6000k colour of the LED headlights , making the 120 lights look like today's premium cars lights . I also have led bulbs in the interior and doors of my lc120 .

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you were not asking me , but you need H4 for the headlights (they are high and low beam in the same bulb) fog lights are Hb4 and front side lights are w5w wedge bulbs , you will find after fitting LED headlights the side lights will look a horrible pale yellow that reminds you of a old torch light that is very nearly out of battery power , and for £2 on ebay you can get 10 led side light bulbs that match the 6000k colour of the LED headlights , making the 120 lights look like today's premium cars lights .

hi mate thanks for this...im bemused now at what exactly to buy...i think i have the right bulb only to find its not road legal !! all i want to do is take out old bulb...fit new bulb no wiring changes new bulb fits old bulb slot etc simple...but for the life of me i cant find the right bulb to match :(

hi mate thanks for this...im bemused now at what exactly to buy...i think i have the right bulb only to find its not road legal !! all i want to do is take out old bulb...fit new bulb no wiring changes new bulb fits old bulb slot etc simple...but for the life of me i cant find the right bulb to match :(
Hi look on ebay and type in H4 led bulbs there are hundreds , a good choice to get are a pair of 72w (36w each bulb) with 8000lm (400o lm each bulb ) about 15 to 20 items down the list there is some called IRONWALLS H4 led in a black box with a blue badge and S2 H4 on the right hand top corner of the pic, and a pair in the kit cost £13.99 and have a 5 year guarantee ,they are a direct replacement no wiring change , the 3 prong connector on the led bulb connects to the connector that is there for your bulbs that are in already , instructions are in the box and easy job to fit .its a straight swap . I fitted some to mine and are fantastic .

Hi look on ebay and type in H4 led bulbs there are hundreds , a good choice to get are a pair of 72w (36w each bulb) with 8000lm (400o lm each bulb ) about 15 to 20 items down the list there is some called IRONWALLS H4 led in a black box with a blue badge and S2 H4 on the right hand top corner of the pic, and a pair in the kit cost £13.99 and have a 5 year guarantee ,they are a direct replacement no wiring change , the 3 prong connector on the led bulb connects to the connector that is there for your bulbs that are in already , instructions are in the box and easy job to fit .its a straight swap .

ill have a look...are these road legal ?

ill have a look...are these road legal ?
Mine passed the MOT with them in in the UK the two years running when I lived there , and came here to Cyprus to live and brought my lc120 and passed the MOT here in Cyprus with no probs .

just had a look ..and according to their website they wont fit my 120 :(
All H4 bulbs headlight bulbs whether LED or not fit lc120s , the company car fitting lists on ebay are very inaccurate . all bulbs are not specific to a single make or model , all cars have a fitment type of bulb and lc120s like nearly all toyota and lexus use H4 headlamp bulbs . I fitted them in my 2009 lc120 invincible (LC5 ) and my friend with a 2005 LC4 fitted the same ones . I cut a larger hole in the rubber boots so they could fit over the LED bulbs as the LEDs are a bit fatter at the back of the bulb for the cooling fan .

All H4 bulbs headlight bulbs whether LED or not fit lc120s , the company car fitting lists on ebay are very inaccurate . all bulbs are not specific to a single make or model , all cars have a fitment type of bulb and lc120s like nearly all toyota and lexus use H4 headlamp bulbs . I fitted them in my 2009 lc120 invincible (LC5 ) and my friend with a 2005 LC4 fitted the same ones . I cut a larger hole in the rubber boots so they could fit over the LED bulbs as the LEDs are a bit fatter at the back of the bulb for the cooling fan .

sod it lol for £14 ill try them...then see about doing the side lights as you suggest if it all works lol :)

sod it lol for £14 ill try them...then see about doing the side lights as you suggest if it all works lol :)
I am sure it will all work well , fitting LEDs in a lc120 is no harder than fitting the original bulbs , you may have to undo the battery hold down clamp to move the battery's back whilst fitting the bulbs if you have big hands to help you make more space to fit them , I cut a bigger hole in the rubber boots so they could fit over the back of the LED bulb . the side lights you WILL have to move the battery's back as space is very tight to get your hand in to turn the side light bulb holder to release and pull the holder out . I undid the electric connector just above the side light holder to make it easier to get my hands down to grab the side light holder so I could twist and pull out the holder . just one thing with the power of these bulbs and the 360 degree light angle you like me will have to put the light level switch on the lower dash to number 3 instead of the 0 position so the you dont dazzle low level cars or bikes , such is the power with these bulbs when fitted to a high vehicle .

Back