Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

halogen headlight bulbs

Hi Tony

Im interested in LEDS too...i run a landcruiser 120 LC5 2007 but no idea what type of bulb i need....just wondering if youhave the same truck and what you bought ?

thanks
H4 low beam headlight led (get 10000 lnms as better coverage and 6500k)
6500k is just the colour as i think is new car look but you can get upto 1200 but look cheap.

10000 luminums is the brightness output and better coverage on the road.
If unsure about what bulbs you 120 needs its in the back of you manual.

My latest upgrade is my number plate lights and door lights.
I have bought 5x18 led pads and clear perspex 6mm.
Taken my old number plate bulbs and holders out and replaced with my led ones and look cool.
People probably think cheap skate but only seems to be china that sells them with 4weeks delivery.
My door light upgrade is i bought 2x amber wedge bulbs 15w for my front side light just as an experiment but since you have to take the front bumper off to remove the headlight components just not got round to it.
I removed the door light components and removed the glass to remove the wedge bulb.
You will need pliers or something to remove the bulbs as very tight fit.
I replaced with 15w amber wedge bulb and wow what a difference it makes as so bright and looks cool (just my opinion anyway ).
You can get clear ones with same wattage on eBay .
Everything i have mentioned is off eBay expect my headlight and fog light leds.

I will take pictures and upload to give other members just basic ideas on how to get with times for very little money without leaving your house .

Easier to slip a battery off to change side light bulbs.

So far not ever had a problem with short life on either Philips or Osram extra bright halogens, made a massive improvement to the 120's lights, ironically i found the 90 series and even the 70 series headlights better than the 120's with just standard halogen bulbs, so much for progress eh!

H4 low beam headlight led (get 10000 lnms as better coverage and 6500k)
6500k is just the colour as i think is new car look but you can get upto 1200 but look cheap.

10000 luminums is the brightness output and better coverage on the road.
If unsure about what bulbs you 120 needs its in the back of you manual.

My latest upgrade is my number plate lights and door lights.
I have bought 5x18 led pads and clear perspex 6mm.
Taken my old number plate bulbs and holders out and replaced with my led ones and look cool.
People probably think cheap skate but only seems to be china that sells them with 4weeks delivery.
My door light upgrade is i bought 2x amber wedge bulbs 15w for my front side light just as an experiment but since you have to take the front bumper off to remove the headlight components just not got round to it.
I removed the door light components and removed the glass to remove the wedge bulb.
You will need pliers or something to remove the bulbs as very tight fit.
I replaced with 15w amber wedge bulb and wow what a difference it makes as so bright and looks cool (just my opinion anyway ).
You can get clear ones with same wattage on eBay .
Everything i have mentioned is off eBay expect my headlight and fog light leds.

I will take pictures and upload to give other members just basic ideas on how to get with times for very little money without leaving your house .
I changed my fog lights to LED after I did the headlights , I got some cheap ones on ebay that cost about £2 each and after a few days they started to flicker whilst driving as did the LED side lights and led number plate lights and smelled of disinfectant like TCP , so I changed them to Samsung LED 15w Hb4 fog lights and Samsung side lights and interior and door leds , have had no probs with these and are much brighter than the cheap one that I fitted .

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed my fog lights to LED after I did the headlights , I got some cheap ones on ebay that cost about £2 each and after a few days they started to flicker whilst driving as did the LED side lights and led number plate lights and smelled of disinfectant like TCP , so I changed them to Samsung LED 15w Hb4 fog lights and Samsung side lights and interior and door leds , have had no probs with these and are much brighter than the cheap one that I fitted .

IMG_20191116_200706.jpg IMG_20191116_200655.jpg

This was my test to see if my idea would work and looks cool and very bright.

IMG_20191116_174852.jpg IMG_20191116_200604.jpg

As you can see my door lights make a big difference and much brighter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will show some pictures of my new led lights with fan assistant headlights and fog lights both 6500k.
Headlights are 10000lms
Big difference to stock halogen bulbs.

IMG_20191119_155212.jpg IMG_20191119_155212.jpg IMG_20191129_162730.jpg

Last edited:
Easier to slip a battery off to change side light bulbs.

So far not ever had a problem with short life on either Philips or Osram extra bright halogens, made a massive improvement to the 120's lights, ironically i found the 90 series and even the 70 series headlights better than the 120's with just standard halogen bulbs, so much for progress eh!

Each to their own I suppose but if I didn't try led bulb I would never no but the big difference in brightness from halogen to led is very noticeable.

My experience, as noted elsewhere, has been as follows:-

1, 2x Chinese ‘quality’ units both interfered with radio and amateur radio.
2, Beam patterns were acceptable only if adjusted down, meaning the throw was seriously shortened.
3, Fans and heatsink were removable and there was no need to cut the rubber avoiding the potential of letting in water or condensation.
4, Both units failed after about 14 months or so.
5, Many of the Chinese units have the approvals printed on the box, but are the bulbs actually approved?
6, Fitted Phillips Ultinon. No interference, best pattern and headlights readjusted up so throw is a good 150m plus, so far no issues. Yes, they’re not cheap (actually they are eye wateringly expensive) BUT that’s compared to cheap Chinese units With flaws and so far I think they are worth every penny.
6, All LED headlight bulbs that I’ve seen are marked “for off road use” as this is a grey area. Advice is to take a spare pair of halogen lamps ‘just in case’ which is pretty normal anyway.

I really must get round to changing my side lights, as pointed out, they now look orange!

Last edited:

2, Beam patterns were acceptable only if adjusted down, meaning the throw was seriously shortened.
3, Fans and heatsink were removable and there was no need to cut the rubber avoiding the potential of letting in water or condensation.
5, Many of the Chinese units have the approvals printed on the box, but are the bulbs actually approved?
6, Fitted Phillips Ultinon. No interference, best pattern and headlights readjusted up so throw is a good 150m plus, so far no issues. Yes, they’re not cheap (actually they are eye wateringly expensive) BUT that’s compared to cheap Chinese units With flaws and so far I think they are worth every penny.
6, All LED headlight bulbs that I’ve seen xare marked “for off road use” as this is a grey area. Advice is to take a spare pair of halogen lamps ‘just in case’ which is pretty normal anyway.

I really must get round to changing my side lights, as pointed out, they now look orange!
yes, I changed my sidelights to leds, mainly because the filament bulbs seemed to need changing often. as a bonus they look much better.

6, All LED headlight bulbs that I’ve seen xare marked “for off road use” as this is a grey area. Advice is to take a spare pair of halogen lamps ‘just in case’ which is pretty normal anyway.

I agree with you on most things you have stated as I think not everyone will have a bad experience.

Also depends on the person who makes the products.

I have used Philips products in the past before led and hid were available.

My headlights are fan assisted and the water cover fits back over perfectly.

yes, I changed my sidelights to leds, mainly because the filament bulbs seemed to need changing often. as a bonus they look much better.

I have ordered 100w led bulb for my side and reverse lights as was going to put Amber leds in my front just to be different.

Each to their own I suppose but if I didn't try led bulb I would never no but the big difference in brightness from halogen to led is very noticeable.
I removed the battery today just to see if I have access to my sidelights as you stated and beats removing the bumper anyway.
Thanks for the tip.

ive swapped out the old headlight bulbs for LEDS successfully over the weekend, thing is as you can see, although i have plenty of room around the battery, i cant get the rubber boot fitted without it coming into contact with the led heat sink......would you say this was acceptable ? or not ? knowing the led's get hot/warm ? etc.

thanks

rubber fitted without cooling fins.jpg with rubber fitted.jpg without rubber fitted (2).jpg without rubber fitted.jpg

ive swapped out the old headlight bulbs for LEDS successfully over the weekend, thing is as you can see, although i have plenty of room around the battery, i cant get the rubber boot fitted without it coming into contact with the led heat sink......would you say this was acceptable ? or not ? knowing the led's get hot/warm ? etc.

thanks

View attachment 161672 View attachment 161673 View attachment 161674 View attachment 161675
I cut the inner circle of my rubber boots so that the heat sink was not obstructed .

thanks

My led bulbs are a different shape and just feed the plug through the rubber grommet and resealed perfect fit no cutting.

thanks

View attachment 161672 View attachment 161673 View attachment 161674 View attachment 161675

IMG_20191203_205633.jpg IMG_20191203_205637.jpg IMG_20191203_205647.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality as was dark and cold outside :openmouth::text-blondmoment:

Back