Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone seen this before !!!

MetalDonkey

Country Flag
uk
Hi All,
Whilst driving my LC5, and as quick as a flash , These lights appeared on my dashboard. I know that there will be some experts that will be able to help me out on this one , Please can someone help. It seems to be an intermittent fault as the lights go on and off at random, the truck runs normally . When you start the engine the lights go out as normal but then after a few seconds comes back on again.

IMG_0582.JPG

Worth checking your alternator is charging at the correct voltage. Should be 14.4 volts with the engine running or close to. Test when the lights are up.

It's an ABS or traction control fault of some kind. Needs a computer on it to narrow it down further... Last time I saw one was on my BMW and it turned out to be a small but very expensive G-force sensor under the seat that had gone wrong!

Edit, didn't see the Engine check light and charge light, in that case checking the alternator is working would be no. 1 on the list!

Hi All,
Whilst driving my LC5, and as quick as a flash , These lights appeared on my dashboard. I know that there will be some experts that will be able to help me out on this one , Please can someone help. It seems to be an intermittent fault as the lights go on and off at random, the truck runs normally . When you start the engine the lights go out as normal but then after a few seconds comes back on again.

View attachment 142177
If you have a tow bar with electrics for the brakes clean and check all the the electric plugs / connectors with wd40 or such . A good tip is get one of them scanners / or tec stream I have both so I can use the scanner on all makes of cars , from ebay for about £15 and connect to the plug under the dashboard under the steering wheel on the right hand side and it will tell you what the problem is with the code it sends out . Had the battery light not lit up it would probably have been a vacuum pipe leak or block around the EGR valve or tubes around it or abs vacuum problem .
Kind regards
Antonis

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the responses, my days of fault finding electrical faults on cars are well and truly over since you now need a laptop. The VSC , traction control and engine check light has since vanished just leaving the Battery light, now back to 'ole school methods I used a multimeter to check whether the battery was charging or not...and guess what it is not !!! , therefore a reconditioned or used alternator is on the cards , If her in doors allows me , maybe a new one. I am waiting for a Techstream OBDII lead and software to arrive , this could be my best purchase ever. Again many thanks

Many thanks for the responses, my days of fault finding electrical faults on cars are well and truly over since you now need a laptop. The VSC , traction control and engine check light has since vanished just leaving the Battery light, now back to 'ole school methods I used a multimeter to check whether the battery was charging or not...and guess what it is not !!! , therefore a reconditioned or used alternator is on the cards , If her in doors allows me , maybe a new one. I am waiting for a Techstream OBDII lead and software to arrive , this could be my best purchase ever. Again many thanks
Could be worth a call to Robson and Francis for a replacement alternator or if you fancy a replacement regulator and or diode pack to rebuild it yourself if you’re inclined to. It’s worth stripping down to check the brushes aren’t sticking or otherwise not connecting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you have a tow bar with electrics for the brakes clean and check all the the electric plugs / connectors with wd40 or such . A good tip is get one of them scanners / or tec stream I have both so I can use the scanner on all makes of cars , from ebay for about £15 and connect to the plug under the dashboard under the steering wheel on the right hand side and it will tell you what the problem is with the code it sends out . Had the battery light not lit up it would probably have been a vacuum pipe leak or block around the EGR valve or tubes around it or abs vacuum problem .
Kind regards
Antonis
Hi TONYCY11 Received my chinese OBDII dongle with a CD containing Techstream software , plug it into an old laptop and after messing about for a period of time it sort of works . The fault code displayed is P0622 Generator field F circuit control malfunction in other words a 'Duff Alternator. Interestingly the software show that I do not have electric seats , cruise control , in fact any of the accessories associated with an LC5 landcruiser. may I ask what is the hardware version of yours , my dongle is a MVCI-HC ver 1.4.1

Hi TONYCY11 Received my chinese OBDII dongle with a CD containing Techstream software , plug it into an old laptop and after messing about for a period of time it sort of works . The fault code displayed is P0622 Generator field F circuit control malfunction in other words a 'Duff Alternator. Interestingly the software show that I do not have electric seats , cruise control , in fact any of the accessories associated with an LC5 landcruiser. may I ask what is the hardware version of yours , my dongle is a MVCI-HC ver 1.4.1
Hi
I will have a look tomorrow as mine is in my shed and its 12.50am here and pitch dark but I will get back to you I have only been full time living in Cyprus for 4 weeks and I only just got my house gear and tools and car in a container on monday , so I stuffed all my tools and parts I brought over in two 8x8 plastic sheds I bought that I got last week for them . I always keep a multi car scanner in the central armrest , cheap to buy and instant to use anywhere without a laptop and internet . I will get back to you tomorrow in the morning .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
just looked in the shed and it just says its a MINI-VCI j2534 I had it loaded on a old laptop of which I left behind in the UK , I got it in november 2016 and I remember its instructions saying you can install it on newer windows up to windows 10 and I dont have the instructions any more but I remember I saw on youtube how to install it on windows 10 so I will have to do it . I have never had to use it but I know one day I will need it especially if I need to fit new injectors to recalibrate the new codes of the injectors as that was the main reason why I got it and to check the condition of injector values .

Back