Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Have you fitted coil spacers with oem suspension ?

Shayne

Guru
Hi fella's this is a question resulting from impatience but i hope your answers will give me a little more confidence before buying .

A one inch spacer is now fitted to front suspension and i want to order rear sets to level up her backside . I haven't measured up yet but theres obviously at least a 2" lift on the front . I believe i'm supposed to give the springs a little time to resettle before i can get the true measure of lift but having raced around an undustrial estate hitting maybe 20 speed bumps at 30mph i'm thinking they should be sitting comfortably already .

Should i still wait a week to let things settle before deciding how thick rear spacers need to be , or would you say i'm safe to measure up and order spacers today ?

And is it safe to assume Toyota Surf rear spacers will fit ?

Last edited:
Just took some measurements and they show a 55mm lift on the drivers side and 50mm on the passenger side which is odd because drivers spring always sags more ?

I guess i'm looking for 40mm spacers on the rear as the conical bumpstop i bought has a 10mm thick flange to sit on top of the spring . Might have to get them made .

1008_zps496089dd.jpg

1007_zps89fb3b72.jpg

Wheel & Tyre don't look so big now ! did someone say they had some wheel spacers to sell ?

Shayne, you haven't put new springs in. Why would they need to settle? All you have done is put a top spacer in. The unsprung length of the strut is the same as it was the day before. Ha Ha unless you stuck the spacer INSIDE the strut. Looks to me as though the standard rear spacers would level it up about right. Take a picture with the front wheels turned so that we can see the distance between the corner of the tyre and the back of the wheel arch. That is the KEY clearance.

Truck looks fantastic by the way.

Chris

Seems likely to me older springs will deform a little so when taken off then put back on they might given time rotate themselves into thier lowest and so most comfortable position ?

It doesn't look too bad in the pic but it would be hard to guess the truck is parked pointing downhill , i'd say the fall of the road is maybe 3 inches from bumper to bumper .

As far as clearance goes so improved is the ride i never even thought to take a look at it . Certainly i felt no resistance at all through the steering wheel while using full lock even under braking . I will post a pic tomorrow .

When I recently swapped out my Ironman front springs for some Kings springs they told me that decent springs do not need to settle. Two weeks later and it seems they were correct.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My springs are probably as old as my truck so i think the worn spring will have to find its equally worn mount before its sits tight and comfortable is all .

My springs are probably as old as my truck so i think the worn spring will have to find its equally worn mount before its sits tight and comfortable is all .

Only gonna loose 5 mm tops even if that is the case. I would go for a 50mm lift at the back. It may be 10mm higher at standard but on old springs as soon as you put any weight in the back you will soon loose it.

As both me and Steven (SAE70) have seen the rear OEM springs on these trucks really do seem to drop quite alot under weight

Cheers Chris i figured that out for myself once i relaxed a bit and stopped wanting it done yesterday .

The cone bumpstop adds 10mm to spring length and it wasn't on there before so i've contacted someone asking them to knock me up a 40mm spacer . The plan is to send him the cone so he can get a good tidy fit . Might make it easier for anyone else wanting to level a 90 to have someone in the uk making them to whatever thickness is required .

TBH mate if the cost is any more I would say its not worth it. Mine was about 20mm lower at the back for about 6 months and the only reason I noticed was because I was measuring up for something else. You really won't notice 10mm here of there

I just liked the way it used to sit and the fella i've asked to make em is on ebay selling 50mm spacers for a surf . Had i not already bought the new bumpstops i'd have bought the surf ones . At the end of the day if he prices for a 50mm spacer he can thin it down to whatever you want in two minutes as he's obviously got a lathe . I don't think i really needed the bumpstops but i followed advice and now i've got them i may as well use them .

Did you find much improvement in the ride after fitting coil spacers coz i was astonished at the difference she feels solid as a rock but not harsh at all , what i would expect from entirely new oem shocks and springs maybe !

Did you find much improvement in the ride after fitting coil spacers coz i was astonished at the difference she feels solid as a rock but not harsh at all , what i would expect from entirely new oem shocks and springs maybe !

Honestly can't say mate as never bothered with spacers. But have learned quite a bit about the suspension setup over the last couple of months through a mix of reading and trying. I know more about what the truck does rather that what individual componants do if that makes any sense at all.

Yeah i understand that and i also understand my spacers will only let the truck do pretty much what it could do anyway as standard . But it looks good and lets me do it with bigger tyres :icon-biggrin:

I've now got roughly an inch of clearance between tyre and mudflap while parked flat and a few attempts to make it rub by braking hard while circling full lock didn't , as far as i can tell , result in any rubbing . With the new height i think 30mm wheel spacers would look good but i fear bringing the wheel out an inch might well put me back to square one with regards to rubbing . I will have to investigate further when its not pouring down with rain .
2003_zps9c10d517.jpg

Last edited:
Shayne did you use a coil compressor to get the spacers on and if so what type did you go for? They vary in price point and design greatly.
I ended up going for the Hankook RT03's 285/75 r16 as they have some across the board positive reviews, only downside it seems is the sidewall strength but I'm happy with the rating on the ones I have picked, 126/123Q 10PR. I just purchased one tyre to put on the GOJO ET-32 modulars and in the end I think you were right, the offset is bang on and they look superb. I am getting the rubbing issue hense the thread resurrection so I was thinking of the 15mm spacer and a bit of chopping on the mud guard. I've fitted the winch to the bumper now too so I think a small lift at the front is no harm. 15mm seems a small amount but I suppose this equates to more pressure on the spring so the lift is more that 15mm? Here's a quick pic of the tyre, I got it test fitted today. Just ordered 4 more and the modulars to suit.
20171123_110946_zpskegx0fky.jpg

Back