Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ100/1HD-FTE Turbo exhaust flange

GrahamR

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys (and girls if there are any on here?),

I'm trying to source a suitable (preferably stainless) 3 hole flange (yes yes... queue dirty jokes) for my 100 series turbo. I've ordered an exhaust from Oz and it's got the 4 hole flange on the dump pipe... Apparently all HDJ100's over there have the 4 stud casing on the turbo. I'm looking to remove the 4 hole flange from the dump pipe when it arrives and get someone to weld on a 3 hole flange. Possibly easier said than done!

From my trawling around online, it would appear that the UK spec model (possibly europe-wide) have 3 turbo variants with the Aussie spec turbo type only around for one year.

A) 4AT/5AT (?) NO EGR Cooler
17201-17040
CT26B
4-hole outlet flange
Aug 2002 - Jul 2003
17201-17040 Turbo.JPG

B) 4AT WITH EGR cooler
17201-17050
GT2359V
802012-5001S
3-hole outlet flange
Jan 2001 -> Aug 2002

C) 5AT ??
17201-17070
GT2359V
802012-5001S
3-hole outlet flange
Jul 2003 ->
17201-17050 Turbo.JPG

Could anyone explain the differences between the 3 setups? I am assuming that EGR setup, 4AT, 5AT, emissions, ECU and injectors all come into play?

My vehicle has type B, May 2002. This has a 3 stud casing on it... and I cannot find a flange anywhere.

IMG_20200322_165318.jpg
IMG_20200322_165341.jpg
IMG_20200322_165942.jpg
IMG_20200322_170000.jpg
IMG_20200322_170107.jpg

So I've got a couple of options:

1) Come on the forum and ask you knowledgeable bunch and hopefully get a pointer to a suitable supplier and possibly where I'm going wrong in life...
Pros: Free, simplest option
Cons: Possible no one knows where to get one either

2) Get the turbo casing changed for one with a 4 stud casing. I don't know enough about these engines and the turbo setup to know how many problems this would likely cause!
Pros: Simple swap. Likely get turbo refurbed along with it. Direct bolt up when exhaust arrives.
Cons: Risky. Expensive. May not be an option at all.

3) Swap the Turbo entirely for one with 4 stud casing. Problems, concerns, pros and cons as above plus all the unforeseen bits!

Help on this muchly appreciated,

Hope everyone is keeping safe,

Cheers,

Graham

Hi @GrahamR am I missing something here, you've orderd a complete exhaust system, a new exhaust usually only starts at the outlet of the 'dump pipe' flange not from the 'outlet' of the of the turbo.

Pic below for example. Note the flange on the down pipe.

s-l1600.jpg

That's the downpipe for the 4 bolt/CT26B, the exhaust downpipe coming from Oz will have that flange on it, which I need to remove. The 4 bolt flange on its own:
CT26B Flange.JPG

I'm looking for just the 3 bolt flange, similar to this:
Universal 3 bolt flange.JPG

Unfortunately almost all the ones I can find are symmetrical. The cruiser flange bolt pattern and foot print isn't symmetrical, as below:

IMG_20200322_165942.jpg

Hi @GrahamR am I missing something here, you've orderd a complete exhaust system, a new exhaust usually only starts at the outlet of the 'dump pipe' flange not from the 'outlet' of the of the turbo.

Pic below for example. Note the flange on the down pipe.

View attachment 164641

Hi Jibberjabber, yes, I've gone for a full turbo back system and may live to regret it. The small dump pipe section is going to need to be editted... hopefully... maybe...
PPD 100 series.JPG

That's the downpipe for the 4 bolt/CT26B, the exhaust downpipe coming from Oz will have that flange on it, which I need to remove. The 4 bolt flange on its own:
View attachment 164638

I'm looking for just the 3 bolt flange, similar to this:
View attachment 164639

Unfortunately almost all the ones I can find are symmetrical. The cruiser flange bolt pattern and foot print isn't symmetrical, as below:

View attachment 164640
The flange you are holding in you hand stays on the turbo, then the new exhaust starts from the other end with the 2 bold holes, at least thats how it usually is here in the UK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The flange you are holding in you hand stays on the turbo, then the new exhaust starts from the other end with the 2 bold holes, at least thats how it usually is here in the UK.

I was wanting to open up straight to 3" from the turbo outlet. The only off the shelf option seemed to be the Cybox kit you sent a picture of but I was wanting something a bit more. The only other option was full custom. As the truck is off the road and the old exhaust is knackered, I'd need to buy a replacement muffler at least to get it through it's MOT, which I figured was a waste of money. Only once it's road-legal again would I be able to take the truck and have someone fabricate a full stainless system for it. I was hoping to get something more-or-less off the shelf, only requiring a relatively simple mod to get the truck on the road. However, I had stupidly assumed a flange to fit would be relatively easy to come by...

I was wanting to open up straight to 3" from the turbo outlet. The only off the shelf option seemed to be the Cybox kit you sent a picture of but I was wanting something a bit more. The only other option was full custom. As the truck is off the road and the old exhaust is knackered, I'd need to buy a replacement muffler at least to get it through it's MOT, which I figured was a waste of money. Only once it's road-legal again would I be able to take the truck and have someone fabricate a full stainless system for it. I was hoping to get something more-or-less off the shelf, only requiring a relatively simple mod to get the truck on the road. However, I had stupidly assumed a flange to fit would be relatively easy to come by...
Yes, its all become clear now, so your only looking for a three bolt flange, so that you can cut off the four bolt flange on the Aussie down pipe and weld on a three bolt to fit your turbo, correct?

Yes, its all become clear now, so your only looking for a three bolt flange, so that you can cut off the four bolt flange off the Aussie down pipe and weld on a three bolt to fit your turbo, correct?

Yup, that's it... but seems like I may be up a creek and all that! Might be selling an exhaust for 100 series Land Cruiser with the CT26B soon!

In the UK, grew up in Botswana, should probably change the flag...
I thought you were in Bots, and they had MOT'S over there the same as the UK.

In that case you should have no probs getting a new three bolt flang fab'd up in SS using the Cast three bolt flange as a pattern, two probs I can see, the first is obvious, Covid-19, the other is getting the three bolt flange welded in the exact postion to fit your turbo.

I think the best way to get an exact fit would be to tack weld it in situ on the car, or cut the Aussie down pipe and make a new section to fit your turbo. I don't think your up the creek yet, not by a loooong shot.

Either way looks like your in for a bit of a wait, until the country gets back to some sort of normality, if ever.

I've been waiting for Vodafone to answer for over 2 hours at the mo.

Best of luck

I thought you were in Bots, and they had MOT'S over there the same as the UK.

In that case you should have no probs getting a new three bolt flang fab'd up in SS using the Cast three bolt flange as a pattern, two probs I can see, the first is obvious, Covid-19, the other is getting the three bolt flange welded in the exact postion to fit your turbo.

I think the best way to get an exact fit would be to tack weld it in situ on the car, or cut the Aussie down pipe and make a new section to fit your turbo. I don't think your up the creek yet, not by a loooong shot.

Either way looks like your in for a bit of a wait, until the country gets back to some sort of normality, if ever.

I've been waiting for Vodafone to answer for over 2 hours at the mo.

Best of luck

Cheers for the support, I was hoping someone would pop up and yell "aha! and magic up a flange to fit" but I'm glad to have someone say that it may be possible to fabricate! Just need to find an exhaust shop to assist. As you say... the 'rona is going to put paid to that for some time... good thing I have plenty of rust to chip off... I was hoping to find an off the shelf flange as that would make the lining up easier. Will see how it goes!

I wish Botswana had an MOT test... I've seen cars driving around on 4 bald temporary spare wheels... scary place to drive unless you're offroad!

Cheers for the support, I was hoping someone would pop up and yell "aha! and magic up a flange to fit" but I'm glad to have someone say that it may be possible to fabricate! Just need to find an exhaust shop to assist. As you say... the 'rona is going to put paid to that for some time... good thing I have plenty of rust to chip off... I was hoping to find an off the shelf flange as that would make the lining up easier. Will see how it goes!

I wish Botswana had an MOT test... I've seen cars driving around on 4 bald temporary spare wheels... scary place to drive unless you're offroad!
Your welcome, thats what the members are here for,

You never know, someone else might be more 'in the know' than I am, also I think you'd be better finding a bespoke fabrication shop that can work in SS rather than a exhaust shop, might be worth giving a company like Cybox a call they might help or at least point you in the right direction.

Where are you in the UK? I currently have SS exhausts made up for the 80 series, link HERE and could certainly help you in one guise or another.

Where are you in the UK? I currently have SS exhausts made up for the 80 series, link HERE and could certainly help you in one guise or another.

Hi Trevor, I'm in Bristol. That 80 system is lovely! Would be great to get a steer on getting the 3 bolt flange fab'd and welded on correctly.

Back