Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hdj79

Jimhull127

Country Flag
australia
Hi, I have a 2006 hdj79 turbo 6 tray back land cruiser. I think I'm having fuel pump issues, when I go to change up/down gears it revs up as though I'm riding the clutch. If I'm driving then shift the transmission into neutral it will rev up to 2500 rpm and stay there. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Hey mate,

I had the same issue with my cruiser for quite a while. After being told it was a common problem by the fuel injection guys and encouraged to part with $3,500 for the exchange pump, I decided on a lot of google time and found the ecu and the pump use a speed signal input.

The light-bulb moment for me was when I dropped the trans into neutral when moving and the engine would still rev on when removing throttle. Come to a complete stop, and the engine would rev and drop normally. That was the moment I realised it had to be the speed signal input to the pump commanding fuel to be injected.

I pulled the speed sensor plug (down on the trans) and presto, she drives like a dream. Fuel consumption is down too I think (at least it feels as though it is). The engine did stall when rolling up to a junction, so you need to wind on just a little throttle using the manual throttle advance (luckily the HDJ is still manual in that department). Idle up at about 750 which is no biggie. Seems not to have affected the AC advance so no problems there.

The down side now is I lost the speedo and the aftermarket cruise (it uses the same speed input signal). I'm on here now looking for a pin configuration for the instrument cluster as I am hoping to reconnect the trans sensor, have the speed signal come into the cluster and operate the speedo and cruise as normal, but then cut the output signal to the ECU so that the pump is not receiving the speed signal.

If anyone knows of the location on line for HDJ79 (1HD-FTE) wiring diagrams I'd appreciate it.

Give it a go mate, such a better drive!

Cheers, Stu

Last edited:
The problem is still the fuel pump. It is a common problem and a good rebuild will solve the problem and running better as well if you choose a good pump rebuilder.
Stuinbroome, pulling the plug isn't really fixing the problem though mate, just remover those symptoms and replaced them with others as you noted. Ultimately you might still want to get your fuel pump fixed.
Cheers.

G'day Blown80.

You are right, I haven't fixed the problem but used a work around that so far has cost me nothing. There are lots of people with the same issue on various forums, but no one replies with the fuel pump overhaul as a fix and no one says that this actually fixes it (hence for the $'s involved, I was reluctant). There are also forum threads that say the 1HD-FTE did this from new (I got mine at 10 years and 340k km's so can't comment).

If I knew that the FIP overhaul would 100% cure it, then I could be tempted once the coffers have been built up, but to do it and still have the problem would be more than annoying.

Do you know specifically what it is in the FIP that goes 'wrong' to cause the delay?

Cheers.

Everyone says just get pump rebuilt, we all know it’s a small fault that’s kept hush because mechanics are making a killing out of this 1hdfte fault

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back