Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80

nielsc

Country Flag
belgium
I tought I'd finally make a thread for my 80 on here so here it goes.

It's a 1995 HDJ80 24valve, converted to auto that is used as my daily driver and weekend warrior.
We mostly drive roadbooks in Belgium, Holland and France. Once a year or once in a couple off years I try to take it to the Pyrenees aswell, and maybe this or next year some weekends greenlaning in France aswell.

specs:
+- 3" OME lift (OME850J+ 1" spacer and OME863, OME shocks)
315/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns on Staun performance wheels +30mm spacers
3" side exit exhaust
tuned fuel pump
front mount intercooler
snorkel
Front and rear steel bumpers with removable tow hitch / recovery point
Kingone 10000 winch with rope
and lots lots more :sunglasses:

How it is currently :

Ln2KhUI.jpg

Future plans:
Replace all the bushes, bolts and nuts in the front radius arms
Replace rear lower trailing arms with heavy duty ones, mine are bended
Remove rust from rear axle and paint it again
Replace trailer socket
Rear adjustable panhard rod
switch to 15" steel wheels and tyres because the 315/75R16 are getting hard to find a not much choice
LED bar in the bullbar
False floor in the trunk with drawers to store recovery gear and tools (I have no rear seats)

To be continued ...

I tought I'd finally make a thread for my 80 on here so here it goes.

It's a 1995 HDJ80 24valve, converted to auto that is used as my daily driver and weekend warrior.
We mostly drive roadbooks in Belgium, Holland and France. Once a year or once in a couple off years I try to take it to the Pyrenees aswell, and maybe this or next year some weekends greenlaning in France aswell.

specs:
+- 3" OME lift (OME850J+ 1" spacer and OME863, OME shocks)
315/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns on Staun performance wheels +30mm spacers
3" side exit exhaust
tuned fuel pump
front mount intercooler
snorkel
Front and rear steel bumpers with removable tow hitch / recovery point
Kingone 10000 winch with rope
and lots lots more :sunglasses:

How it is currently :

View attachment 131545

Future plans:
Replace all the bushes, bolts and nuts in the front radius arms
Replace rear lower trailing arms with heavy duty ones, mine are bended
Remove rust from rear axle and paint it again
Replace trailer socket
Rear adjustable panhard rod
switch to 15" steel wheels and tyres because the 315/75R16 are getting hard to find a not much choice
LED bar in the bullbar
False floor in the trunk with drawers to store recovery gear and tools (I have no rear seats)

To be continued ...
Awesome looking truck that. I like it

+1 with you Gav, that looks the business that does, Someone knows his way around an 80, thats for sure.

Sounds very much like my list for my 60 Nielsc which will deliver a very practical and capable vehicle. It may be 5 years away though!

Lovely truck Nielsec, you like big boots as well it seems.

I'm struggling to find 305/70/16s so I know the problem.

Yes, I find the big 80s really need 35s when you want to keep up with some of the lighter 4wd's.
I found that when I use a 15x8 -30 offset DOTZ Dakar steel wheel + a 6mm spacer, the wheels clear the rear calipers, without the tyres sticking out TOO far out of the flares, so thats next when I'm able to sell these wheels.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I find the big 80s really need 35s when you want to keep up with some of the lighter 4wd's.
I found that when I use a 15x8 -30 offset DOTZ Dakar steel wheel + a 6mm spacer, the wheels clear the rear calipers, without the tyres sticking out TOO far out of the flares, so thats next when I'm able to sell these wheels.

I'd buy them off you, if they were 10" wide... I don't want narrower than that...

I like the look of 10" wide wheels aswell, the only downside is the beads can pop off easier when airing down for offroad

I like the look of 10" wide wheels aswell, the only downside is the beads can pop off easier when airing down for offroad

True enough, In extreme conditions, I can even get grass between the beading and tyre when not aired down!

Still, I do like the stability they give under normal conditions, much less 'wagging' from side to side.

The look of them is something else :lol::thumbup:

Fitted 2 LED driving light bars of the very latest generation in the bullbar, pictures will follow.

The wheels and tyres are sold, and 5 15x8 ET-30 modulars + a set of 6mm spacers are ordered.
I'll test fit them first because it's going to be really tight on the rear calipers, if they're good I'll probably order 35x12.5 KM2's.

Also thinking of replacing the front springs as they have sagged too much and the nose is down too much.
Thinking of buying new OME850J's or Pedders heavy duty.

Got 315/75R16 Cooper STT PRO on 16x8 modulars
2x Hella Rallye 3003 with 70W HID kit
2x 45W LED driving lights (spot beam)
Next are new bushes in the front radius arms, thinking rubber castor correction bushes.
And new rear trailing arms (one bent and the bushes are shot)

vqsg49.jpg

I must also add my applause Niels, that does look one cracking truck.

It would of course look a whole lot better with a pair of Gullwing doors instead of those plain ol rear windows. :whistle: :icon-biggrin:

It's been a while since last time I updated, recently I fitted 4" front OME springs from a mate and this levels my truck out nicely, also put some round Hella work lights in the foglight holes in the front bumper.
I've been playing with the idea of fitting a sunvisor above the windshield, or get a flat roofrack and put 4 round spotlights on it :sweatsmile:

Hi nielsc i would very much appreciate a side view pic of your truck with the +4" springs fitted , and your thoughts on whether or not 15x10 wheels with a -50 offset wearing 35 inch tyres might clear the arches under articulation ?

I think -50 might cause the tyre to catch the top of front arches Shayne, on full depression.

I’ve had this problem with 33s (305/70/16s) on full depression, so even more likely with 35s.

You can always prevent this with extended bump stops, but as always its a compromise.

hi mate

Been looking back on this thread, what increase in power did the intercooler and tuned pump produce over standard, and how much did the fuel usage change. I’m looking at this up upgrade for my 80

Thanks

Back