Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ81 Sunroof Weatherstrip

Charis

Country Flag
cyprus
Hello everyone .
I have spend most of the day today looking for the rubber/weatherstip for the sunroof .
I didnt find anything . I checked also toyodiy , amayama etc . I find only a post in another forum that the weatherstip is changed on sunroof but there not mentioning any part numbers .
Does any one know anything about a part i can order . Mine is completly damaged and all the water is coming inside the car.

Any help apreciated .
Thanks.

If you've got water inside the car and it's definitely coming from the sunroof, check all 4 drains are clear. There's one on each corner below the sunroof. The seal is not designed to stop all the water coming in and that which does get in should drain away. The drains get blocked I think more at the front as some discharge into the box section of the sills IIRC. I think the rear ones are visible in front of the rear axle.

Of course if your seal strip is wrecked then you may need to replace it. I would look for a second hand one complete with the glass maybe. @karl webster may be able to help you if you do need a replacement.

Last edited:
Have you tried Toyota in Nicosia I'm sure its not too pricy & if not in stock they can order it in for you?

Sun damage? With seals i personally would go new, any second hand seal is at least 20 years old now.

True, and I do agree CG, but a UK one won't have had half the sun a Cyprus one has had. Mine is still pretty supple at 23 you know. :) If Charis cannot find new then I would expect there to be some reasonable secondhand ones to be had if that's all there is.

Ive started buying as much new oem as i can afford at the moment sc. The slow but certain axe of NLA has started falling....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm, good thought that CG.
Slightly concerning in actual fact.
I may well follow suit.

sun roof part numbers.png

2nd hand seals? Wouldn't waste time and money personally. The seal round the glass roof panel is little more than a dust/debris seal. I had a water ingress issue with the OEM sunroof which turned out to be a blocked rear drain. The rear drains exit the bottom of the rear quarter panels. The fronts drain into the sills. If all the drains are clear they are more than capable of handling any water that comes their way even when washing the car.

I have the same problem with my sunroof (Australia sun) but I also found the roof was not going fully back into place (warn linkage) so I removed the garnish (which had become very brittle and broke) to get to the bolts that hold the sunroof into place and added more shims (large washers) this allowed the sunroof to sit higher and close the gap.

Now I need to find some more garnish trim, which I hope I can still buy.

2nd hand seals? Wouldn't waste time and money personally. The seal round the glass roof panel is little more than a dust/debris seal. I had a water ingress issue with the OEM sunroof which turned out to be a blocked rear drain. The rear drains exit the bottom of the rear quarter panels. The fronts drain into the sills. If all the drains are clear they are more than capable of handling any water that comes their way even when washing the car.

Don't want to Hijack Charis's thread here but seeing the diamgram Towpack I don't have a water issue but looking into a vibration / rattle where the centre light switch it when the cars on idle.
Looking for a fix any ideas on how to approach this?

Any experience appreciated Thanks

Spent a lot of time researching this and the seal for the sunroof is not supplied separately and you have to purchase the full glass (with attached seal). There are post on mud that show how to help it along (wire, clean, wax etc.) but my issue turned out to be old plastic uptop that caused water to run down the sides (and not go down the proper drain pipes). Good posts on mud to follow.
Info above is spot on

Spent a lot of time researching this and the seal for the sunroof is not supplied separately and you have to purchase the full glass (with attached seal). There are post on mud that show how to help it along (wire, clean, wax etc.) but my issue turned out to be old plastic uptop that caused water to run down the sides (and not go down the proper drain pipes). Good posts on mud to follow.
Info above is spot on
Hello Thelal . Thanks for reply.
Can you specify part number ? Just to make it clear .

Charis, as indicated there is NOT a part# for the seal(IMHO) - instead you would have to order a new sunroof glass (with built in seal). There are some 'tricks' to help 'buff up' the seal (running wire in the seal, run extra rubber behind the seal etc.) and several postings on mud that go into detail on that (including the part# for the sun roof)
However its best to fix the overflow or whatever is causing your water issue. Even a new seal (with glass) is not a complete "seal" and water will still come in
Let us know how you get on

Back