Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight options

Pumpy

Country Flag
england
Hello chaps,

I have HID conversion bulbs in mine, so good 20% of other road users insist on telling me I have high beam on all the time, even when they're dipped :lol:

anyway, noting the proposed new MOT rules banning non-standard HID bulbs (or somesuch) I was wondering what the options are?

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

I see a lot of the Aussies on FB fit those halo jobbies that look quite spiffing, I can only find one supplier (not spent much time looking admittidly) to the UK and that's these on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FJ80-LAN...hash=item544ff94df5:m:m9P5aZBTwMicPoxjN3PxbOQ

which a) I'm not sure are anymore legal than the HIDs, and b) seem rather expensive

thoughts anyone?

Change them out for the test

LED mate, they work great, I had hid in mine but you need headlamps with clear glass that the 80 hasn’t got, so the beam gets scattered, hence why every body is flashing you.

Chas and Clive have changed to the Angel Eye units. There's acthread on Clive's that I hijacked with some LED replacement photos. Got mine in the UK from Woodypeck online. They're dearer than eBay but you get UK service from a U.K. Seller.

Beam pattern is really pretty good and had my MOT tester interested but there may be requirements in the new rules. Phillips do them as do Osram but I'm not sure if they do the H4s yet. They still aren't approved though. They all say 'for off road use only'.

Got phillips h4 in mine and they are stonking. Passed mot too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have some H4 LED's from Woodypeck in my outer headlights and they are very good. I decided against HID's for the above reasons. I'll probably source some LED's for the inner headlamps (currently HID) for next years MOT.

Cheers lads,

I do like the look of those angle eye doofahs, I found clives thread so I'll need a coffee or two to get through 9 pages of it :lol: I'll also have a mooch for some LED replacements to see what's what :thumbup:

heres a link to clives angle eye thread incase anyone else needs it https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/headlamp-upgrade-to-angel-eye-units.141984/

[EDIT] Can't find a supplier for Angel eyes that don't require paying in body parts, and Non of the links are working on the woodypeck site linked in clives thread for LEDs :icon-rolleyes:

Do these look like the right ones? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-9003-H...288286?hash=item4d6a066ede:g:FjEAAOSwB-1Y6zwf

Last edited:
When I was looking, the price range for the very same item was huge.

I paid something in the middle of the range, but Shayne was the one kind enough to order them for me and then post them on.

The postage cost about the same as the item, and then there was import and VAT on top, but I was in a fix because one of the OEM units on mine had a bullet hole in it, and the damp was getting in past the silicone blob that once had kept it dry.

All-in, I suppose it cost on a par with OEM full replacements, but the beam on these things with HIDs is beautifully crisp, and bright. I’ll never regret fitting them, but it is a bit of a fight going on at every ITP (MOT).

Now they’re talking of making the ITP annual instead of every 2 years, so its not going my way, at all...

We’ll see how it pans out...

Hello chaps,

I have HID conversion bulbs in mine, so good 20% of other road users insist on telling me I have high beam on all the time, even when they're dipped :lol:

anyway, noting the proposed new MOT rules banning non-standard HID bulbs (or somesuch) I was wondering what the options are?

I see a lot of the Aussies on FB fit those halo jobbies that look quite spiffing, I can only find one supplier (not spent much time looking admittidly) to the UK and that's these on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FJ80-LAN...hash=item544ff94df5:m:m9P5aZBTwMicPoxjN3PxbOQ

which a) I'm not sure are anymore legal than the HIDs, and b) seem rather expensive

thoughts anyone?

Hey mate there's a site I use- 4wdsupacentre and they have really good
Priced gear that is good quality. They should have what your looking for

Just to add, if you can’t be arsed to read my thread (it does ramble on I admit) when I put HIDs in the OEM 80 units, they were bright no question, but the beams were all over the shop, dangerous for other road users would be an understatement.

JME... of course.

Cheers Clive, I can't really justify dropping the best part of 400 quid on Angel Eyes, so it looks like £25 for LED's is the way to go!

Walley that looks a great site, but they don't do headlights. I keep seeing their adverts on 4WD TV on youtube, those guys get to do some epic trips, Fraser Island is definately one for the bucket list - had me & the Mrs trying to work out costs so we spend a couple of years in Aus just doing trails, one can dream...:lol:

Cheers Clive, I can't really justify dropping the best part of 400 quid on Angel Eyes, so it looks like £25 for LED's is the way to go!

I can’t fault the logic Pete.

TBH, if LEDs had been as developed as they are now, at the time I was considering my options, I would probably have chosen LED and new/replacement OEM units instead of the Angel Eyes and HIDs.

i've been following these various LED threads for a while now and i'm keen to do mine, but just not sure of the process of fitting LED's. Does anyone know if there is an idiots guide to fitting them out there on the inter web.

also....
I was in a fix because one of the OEM units on mine had a bullet hole in it
.... this, I feel, is a story that needs to be told @clivehorridge .....

Sorry to disappoint Nick, the “bullet hole” reference was a figure of speech, fake news it’s called these days, it was an innocent stone on a mission...
And i had a glorious image in my head of a stray round from an ak-47 in the peoples uprising against ceausescu..:violence-guntoting:

i've been following these various LED threads for a while now and i'm keen to do mine, but just not sure of the process of fitting LED's. Does anyone know if there is an idiots guide to fitting them out there on the inter web.

also....

.... this, I feel, is a story that needs to be told @clivehorridge .....
He doesn't like to talk about it Nick but it's a legacy from his gun running days.

Back