Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlights....

Bernese

Country Flag
england
Believe it or not that's the first drive of the 80 at night and I have to say it was like driving with two 20 watt bulbs for headlights and I thought my old Capri's were bad ... :tearsofjoy:

You can guess what my first upgrade is..

Last edited:
Having just read a few threads, anyone ruining decent output bulbs?

Do a search for LED.

Theres your evening sorted..

You could try these if you want to take the extra step...

43F70A7C-8863-48CE-B1E4-FB0AAB7262B4.jpeg

Do a search for angel eyes and see what comes up, but take care to ensure that RHD versions are available...

8628AD28-59D9-4A63-BEDD-5DE6F8A70079.jpeg
Also search for led lamps h1 or h7 or whatever size 80’s are Des. Mine are h4 in the 60. Like the pic

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't like the LED ones... I have DEPO headlights with H4 phillips xtreme power bulbs, it's better, but still not what it should be...
Another good option is the headlights that clive has with HID's in the projectors

I don't like the LED ones... I have DEPO headlights with H4 phillips xtreme power bulbs, it's better, but still not what it should be...
Another good option is the headlights that clive has with HID's in the projectors

I’ve got to say that the projectors make a huge difference. I had HIDs in the OEM units and the beams were all over the place, scatter is an understatement!

In the projectors, the HIDs are superb, crisp cut-off line, bright, and look ok.

I’ve heard they work well with LEDs too.

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated. I'm busy, busy at the minute so no time to do anything permanently so bought and fitted two Bosch gigalite 120 bulbs at lunch time and hope they make a bit of difference on the way home tonight... I will obviously do something more permanent in the near future......

20150317_102639.jpg
20150317_102646.jpg
Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated. I'm busy, busy at the minute so no time to do anything permanently so bought and fitted two Bosch gigalite 120 bulbs at lunch time and hope they make a bit of difference on the way home tonight... I will obviously do something more permanent in the near future......
Your 80 series wiring will not handle the extra current draw of the 120 watt bulbs very happily. Mr Toyota was a little cheap in the size of the wiring he gave you, and they struggle at 100 watts. It will overheat and burn out, not if, but it will, especially if you do a longer journey. Depending on local laws, the LED way is the better way. HIDs tend to have different focal lengths to standard bulbs (i.e. the bulbs are longer and the bright bit is in a different spot) therefore you don't get the light spread as the designer intended, therefore you won't be too happy with them.

Agreed on the wiring ctiley...

All my beam lighting is feed-wired direct from source with new heavier wiring, switching is by relay.

Found these in the states, so must be for LHD vehicles, but it's the kind of look I would prefer if I was to change my headlamps for more modern versions.

Link HERE

Found these in the states, so must be for LHD vehicles, but it's the kind of look I would prefer if I was to change my headlamps for more modern versions.

Link HERE
Don't use 8000K, it is purple... 4300K is what gives the best light output.

Agreed on the wiring ctiley...

All my beam lighting is feed-wired direct from source with new heavier wiring, switching is by relay.
Is there a difference in output on the 80 series when upgrading the wiring with a relay but keeping the same bulbs?

I found no improvement when feeding the OEM filament bulbs direct from the battery. Maybe this was a problem on earlier vehicles? Both HID's and LED's draw considerably less current than filament bulbs so wiring shouldn't really be an issue with these so long as the wiring is fault free. I found that HID's work perfectly in the OEM inner headlight housings, H1's I think, but H4's in the outers where rubbish verging on dangerous due to light scatter so fitted LED's in these which are fine. I also run some HID's in the bumper mounted Hella Luminator driving lamps. The LED's are good and give instant light but are still no where near as bright as the HID's which do take a few seconds to fully warm up to full output from cold.

On that note guys how do i get the inner headlight (h1) to light up?

Back