Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Health and Safety, who needs it?.....Lol!

The navy calls them Marlin spikes but they use them for rope work as well. Not a torque wrench in sight. Wonder they have not come undone? My uncles came to watch me repairing motorcycles in the 60's. They worked for Rolls Royce in Derby. One of them said " don't do the the strong man act with the spanners, the bolts don't need it.

I have a telescopic wheel spanner , makes undoing the nuts easy but i won't tighten them with it extended , aching arms are no good at that height so i wonder if the length of the spanner dictated swing it until it stops job done ?

This is why the OEM wheelbrace you get with a vehicle is the length it is to avoid overtightening. The 80 wheelbrace looks too short for the job but is adequate. I always used to use a socket and extended handle and give the wheelnut a damn good tightening until I had 2 sheer off very easily a while back. After replacing the studs I decided to start using a torque wrench and was genuinely surprised how easy is is to exceed 70lb/ft. The “damn good tightening” method must’ve been over 100lb/ft.

In the Navy and Stevedoring they are used to undo tight knots (bends) in ropes.

I was made conscious of that Towpack when i was about 18 maybe younger sat on top of the boats gantry with the skipper growling at me "make sure its tight" . I'm glad he was still looking at me when i heaved on the 18" stilsons and the threads on a brand new shackle similar to this went bang !

big-d-ring-shackle-1_25-inch.max-600x600.jpg

An angry Scotsman who had been at sea since he was a boy , 3 years i worked for him and its the only time i ever seen him speechless though i understand why because i could not compute what just happened myself :crazy:

I worked in a dockyard where slips, trips and falls seemed to be the over riding concern for the H&S mob. I asked when the dock itself was last certified as being structurally sound. I never received an answer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wether it’s H&S regs or just plain fear of lability and being sued, when people are too afraid of giving the wrong advice or offering help it’s a sad situation.

Hummmmm.... neck out and all that.

Iam a current H&S professional and obviously I see the necessity for it. Currently preventing 300tons of toxic material (classified fatal by inhalation h330) being released or exploded from a chemical site in the middle of a densely populated area and 3 local schools with circa 300kids at each.....

I wasn’t always in H&S and I do think some professionals interpretations are widely adrift. I personally have reservations about the recent focus around mental health and substance dependence, but then again i am not a flowery cuddly guy.

Hummmmm.... neck out and all that.[/QUOTE

No need to stick your neck out i'm sure we all appreciate the need for independent safety inspections or some would still be using kids to clean chimneys , i think the jist of the thread is H&S has strayed deep into the realms that should be governed by common sense . Exploited perhaps into a lucrative industry in itself creating thousands of jobs that achieve nothing .

Was it Higgy said he had to get tickets to drive a spoon or tie his shoes laces , I bet non of the inspectors ever did any of the stuff they test for a living so basically they learned in a classroom how to teach granny how to suck eggs :think:

Nothing that habitually maims and kills commercial fishermen , and statistics show its a dangerous job , gets so much as a glance from the safety elf - because he doesn't know how it works or what its for but woe betide should a sticker be missing or a bulb blown :icon-rolleyes:

If you buy a Rolls Royce car they measure the customers arm strength and then put the correct length spanner in the personalised tool kit (not).

@Howmany. I am with you there. I have published several articles on the current approach to emental health. I think we have it wrong.
Anaolgy. Someone comes and says we're having quite a few accidents. The answer comes back, OK I'll order some more first aid kit and train some more first aiders. Now you and I know that's wrong, but that's what we're doing.
Problem is that the 'cure' if you like for work and other stuff causing people frustration, anxiety and so forth is not in the hands of the safety team. Yes they can advise and whatever, but when you go to the business and say 'we just need to look after our people a bit more and be nicer to them for a starter' you'll be laughed out of the room. It's not about more pay or putting fruit in reception, it's about asking for views and actually showing that you're listening. Businesses just don't seem to get it or do it really badly becasue they don't know how to do it well.

Maybe we should share some stuff - although I have supposedly left the profession!

Back