Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heater control bulbs

Crabby

Country Flag
uk
These heater control green condomed backlight bulbs.....can't seem to find any info whether they're tiny push fit, or moulded Toyota jobies...broke one trying to get it out (was buggered anyway)

What bulb, or what Toyota part number if moulded anybody?

Cheers
Chris

1513511573959875195384.jpg

Then after hours of looking, immediately finds the answer himself after posting :character-grover:

If this helps anyone in future.. T4.2 bulbs. They're moulded one piece with the twist base.

There's quite a lot of that style get used in the 80. They are the backlighting bulbs I think, the others you show in the climate control unit look like LEDs from the photo which are probably still ok. The one at the base of your picture, the T4.2 will probably have a tiny green hat on it that can be peeled off and fitted to a new clear lamp.

Last edited:
30 milliamp bulbs if i recall with 2 wire strands. Should be able to source from RS. The hat peels off. Unwrap the wire strands then pull the bulb to withdraw them

I have seen the bulb removed and a bright LED soldered in, fancied doing this as my dash is out ATM.

Regards

Dave

I have seen the bulb removed and a bright LED soldered in, fancied doing this as my dash is out ATM.

Regards

Dave
That would be ideal as long as a series resistor is soldered in on each LED. You may also find high brightness ones too bright, though they would be a marked improvement on those fitted to the climate control and likely a straight swap for those.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Figured it all out now. My 35 years of working on motorbikes and not cars starting to show already.....

All LED's are fine. Just the backlights. Maybe the bulb does come out of the holder, but I'd assumed they were one piece as all the bulbs I've looked at come with the holder.
I was tempted by LED''s as I was in the clocks anyway...My oil pressure gauge and fuel Gauge didn't work along with a few other things when I bought it, but it came with a spare set of clocks, and I made a good set out of the 2...the fuel Gauge didn't work, the trip meter didn't work, and the odo was in KPH.....drove me nuts trying to figure out how much juice I had left. Luckily, I have the 50ltr auxiliary tank. I'd drive till the low fuel light came on, then use the auxiliary as a reserve till I filled up.

Anyway. The LED's... Think they look great. But...sticking with standard. The glare from brighter lights in the corner of my vision while driving black country lanes at night does my head in, and worse still can and sometimes does give me a bloody migraine. Duller the better for me unfortunately.

That would be ideal as long as a series resistor is soldered in on each LED. You may also find high brightness ones too bright, though they would be a marked improvement on those fitted to the climate control and likely a straight swap for those.

Yep about 1k should do it IIRC?

Regards

Dave

1k is a nominal figure, it will depend on the LED you choose, there are some variants in voltage.

Regards

Dave

I can’t believe none of you commented on the very funny mug in the background.

No but i did google where to get one

Back