Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heater

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Me again chaps, sorry to keep bombarding you with all these questions about my newly acquired 2006 120, it's all new to me.
Heater has been working fine, now cold. No water loss, system not been tampered with by me so assume not an airlock, which I found in my lj78 a pig to shift. Anyway, as the controls on this appear to be all electronic, a button for this a button for that, no matter what I select, no heat. Heater pipes in engine compartment stone cold.
Does pressing a button, say for temp, control a solonoid/valve that opens to let hot water from engine through the heating system and this has failed/stuck ? Many thanks. John

Hi
I have had a similar problem but only when i have drained coolant, topped it back up and all looked ok but had an airlock in the heater matrix, parked it on my drive with the back end down (steep drive) blasted water into the top nearside rad hose and quickly reconnected, took a few tries but it came good in the end.
Not aware of any solenoids that can restrict it other than the rad stat but i would expect those to be pretty bombproof but worth checking?

Simon

Hi Simon, good idea to force air out if in there, previous owner could have been in there before me, coolant looks good and red. By using hose and forcing water in and hopefully ejecting any air from that same hose, does it not eject/dilute coolant, therefor reducing strength, or did you do any topping up with neat red. Thanks mate.

I find that for the amount i put in it will have a minimum impact based on the volume of coolant in the system, always get mine checked before winter just for good measure

Simon5030, I had not used it for a couple of days, went on a short errand yesterday came back and 'thought this seems warmer in here'. Put on fans and tried different modes and now all operational. WTF.
Thanks for your input, although I have tried other methods with hosepipe on my 79, not done that one, I will remember that, thanks.

Interested to see this. My Colorado heating is really poor. Just doesn't get hot unless the blower is full pelt and they its mot great. Pipes into and out of the matrix are really hot so I'm confused. If the matrix was blocked surely the pipe coming out wouldn't be that hot??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there Buller, welcome to the forum, not sure of the set up in your 90, whether you have the d4d engine and digital controls or manual knobs, levers for heat control. I don't think there is a control valve on bulkhead under bonnet like 70s, that can sometimes get stuck, as cable operated.
If you go back in this thread Simon5030 gave an explanation how to resolve on his 120 with the later d4d engine, which may apply to yours.
A few more details, or if you're able, may get more answers from more people, especially in 90 series forum.

Many thanks for the welcome and getting back so quick. Its the old Colorado, pre D4D with manual controls. All controls look ok and operate no problem. Nothing broken from what I can see. I'll have a look around on the forum.

Ok Buller, I see you have posted in 90 series, so hopefully you will get some response there.
Meanwhile as you have said, do a search on there. Its bloody miserable when its freezing and you cant get enough heat. Good luck.

Back