Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy springs for a heavy bus

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
After using my car for the past few weekends all seems well apart from a slight niggle. The rear springs just aren't stiff enough for the weight of the car how it is now. It's not a daily driver so I leave most of the camping stuff in and shelf system etc. It's currently got suplex 2 inch lift but the back end is sitting lower than the front and it feels a bit soft. I've just spoke to West coast as they're the only people I can see that sell extra load springs, but they can't get any till the new year which is a bit long to wait! Anyone have any ideas where else I can get some? Thanks chaps

20171008_091649.jpg

I've a heavy duty pair of rear OME's kicking around if you want to try them out. 10 min job to swap with a Toyota jack and ramp and then see.

Are they alright to handle extra weight all the time Karl? And also are them springs 2 inch lift do you know Andy? Cheers

I’ve just replaced my heavy duty ome’s that still performed well after several years of constant overloading with efs springs & shocks that I got from mp4x4 in Poland
Good service
http://www.mp4x4.pl/

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And I reccomend air bags too!

Done a lot of research on this recently. Airbags is definitely the way to go, especially if your weight inst constant. No one seems to rate progressive springs. And if you get it wrong, constant weight springs are a pain the the proverbial arse.

Are they alright to handle extra weight all the time Karl? And also are them springs 2 inch lift do you know Andy? Cheers

Deffo 2" lift and heavy duty OME, you could always go down the airbag route after you get the springs you want cos then you will know how long the air bags need to be.
I've them on the 80 manual outside my door Josh, as you have seen but they are standard length.

Well mines constantly heavy so that's why I was thinking more heavy springs. I agree that air bags are good for someone who changes the load often. Thanks for the link Andy will take a look

I can only speak from my experience. For me, the springs alone just didn't cut it. The air bags take it to a whole new level. I'm using second hand springs though and I don't know what work they have done previously

If it’s just ride height you’re after, a pair of 30mm spring top spacers will do the trick.

Of course it won’t alter the “springing” only the height.

Tell me more about these airbags guys. 18 foot triaxle trailer soon puts her ass closer to the tar.

I personally would say from my experience match the springs to the vehicle weight, if then you still think it’s necessary fit air bags for when you carry extra weight or your fuel and water tanks are full.

I want to be able to adjust accordingly for weight am pulling. Not keen on heavy duty springs, she would be as uncomfortable as hell unloaded imo.

Air bags and springs on rear end EVERY time for added weight and towing. Tried all sorts of "stiffer" varieties, pedders, OME, Dobinsons. Trouble is the stiff springs knock your ride comfort about and still don't provide the cushioning effect of air. As Karl says they are a different league get a set fitted you will never look back.

I have heavy duty springs at the back and wish I'd gone for lighter ones and fitted airbags. The only time I get a comfortable ride is when fully laden - 2 x spares, roof tent, etc. May well change mine out.

The uprated Suplex coils from RoughTrax were good on my last truck - http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/suplex-rear-coil-springs-45mm-uprated.html
These suplex ones are what I've currently got fitted. As you can see from the pic it sits on its arse-this is how it's weighted all the time

Terrible picture i know but that is on Ironmam D spec springs, has a lot of weight in the rear of said 80, it's fully loaded there sat at the docks, rear bumper with twin swing outs, 2 x spare wheels, additional 80l fuel tank, water tank, the back is kitted out with all the usual, sits at a good height and rides well

image.png

Terrible picture i know but that is on Ironmam D spec springs, has a lot of weight in the rear of said 80, it's fully loaded there sat at the docks, rear bumper with twin swing outs, 2 x spare wheels, additional 80l fuel tank, water tank, the back is kitted out with all the usual, sits at a good height and rides well

View attachment 135219
Thanks for that, that's roughly what mine is loaded like. Are the d rated springs the 400-500kg constant loads?

Back