Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heavy steering.

Thank you @Trevor. But would that be better named as a coupling that joins the front drive shaft to the rear drive shaft so as to provide drive to the front axle ? If it does engage a diff. lock somewhere then where is that diff. lock ? Surely a diff. lock locks a differential in which case which differential is it locking ?

Thank you @Trevor. But would that be better named as a coupling that joins the front drive shaft to the rear drive shaft so as to provide drive to the front axle ? If it does engage a diff. lock somewhere then where is that diff. lock ? Surely a diff. lock locks a differential in which case which differential is it locking ?
The centre diff lives in the transfer box and electrically engaged, essentially coupling both propshafts ensuring power reaches both axles on the loose stuff. Think of it like a 3rd axle running the length of the vehicle.

The centre diff lives in the transfer box and electrically engaged, essentially coupling both propshafts ensuring power reaches both axles on the loose stuff. Think of it like a 3rd axle running the length of the vehicle.
Thank you @Trevor. So therefore it is not a diff. lock. A differential lock, where it exists, has the ability to lock a differential. A differential is a housing on an axle that contains a crownwheel and the drive pinion (which is driven by a propshaft) and controls the drive to either, or, both half shafts. It can only drive both half shafts when the differential lock has been engaged.

I can't be bothered watching the vid but this probably will give you a greater understanding , it all happens in the transfer box which is mated to your gearbox and drives a propshaft to both axles .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't be bothered watching the vid but this probably will give you a greater understanding , it all happens in the transfer box which is mated to your gearbox and drives a propshaft to both axles .

Thank you @Shayne, I will watch the video later. What you have written is what I thought. But when each propshaft reaches the relevant axle they will then join up with the differential on whichever axle they are serving and if TRUE 4wd was available it would have to happen in these differentials by means of a differential lock.

Back