Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hedgehog - LC100 build thread

Have questioned the Black/Grey wheel carrier issue with the supplier......they can't exactly say I got it wrong as the truck was in front of their faces when we were scoping the job. I'm not really fussed as it will get painted at some stage as even the ARB grey is different from part to part, although I now think grey is the best colour to go with the silver and black elements of the truck....either that or black....but definitely not silver.

The 80 Series front/rear locker switch ordered today so should provide a nice OEM feel to the extra locker gubbins - plenty of Carling switch slots for the compressor switch - I want this to be able to be operated separately as it will be used to air up the tyres

Had another whinge at BOAB for not getting me the price and availability info for the drawers + stuff I would like....the response is glacial and I am in the market to spend some serious money.....at this rate I'll do a direct import: it will be quicker and probably cheaper given the exchange rates

Update: ARB say that they now ONLY supply that in black and have stopped supplying equipment in "Millennium Grey". So I'll spray the part in the nearest grey I can which won't be too difficult off the truck.

Having looked at it just spraying the new black swing out to match the existing swing out will be easiest and will look quite neat too. The old swing out is a metallic dark grey similar to my new BMW but I think it is powdercoat metallic? Are there any issues with spraying over powder-coat and do I need to use any specific primer?

Last edited:
So - have been looking at which winch to put on the front. My thinking is that as I will (hopefully) be using it infrequently AND I will be doing a lot of river crossings then a properly sealed winch would be of value. I know you can get the silicone sealant out and pull the winch apart etc every now and again to get the crud out......but I liked the sound of the Superwinch 9.5isr with IP67 sealed bits + synthetic. Not sure whether to go for the bridge version or not - have space for either - it is neater but a lot more money. Thoughts anyone? Won't be doing any challenge events - just needed to pull me out of trouble.

Most of the winch will be hiding behind the ARB bumper so accessibility is a key question - for the socket to the hand-held and the clutch handle

http://www.superwinch.com/p/talon-9-5i-sr-–-9-500-lbs-12v

Goldfish are supposed to work under water, but mine's a Superwinch. No mechanical probs, but the paint peels off.

Goldfish are supposed to work under water, but mine's a Superwinch. No mechanical probs, but the paint peels off.

I've got the non waterproof Goodwinch 9.5 but it has been submerged a number of times without any issues. The solenoid pack is mounted remotely up under the bonnet to keep it dry which I think helps.

Oh, and as with Clive's, the paint flakes off on this model as well.

I've got the non waterproof Goodwinch 9.5 but it has been submerged a number of times without any issues. The solenoid pack is mounted remotely up under the bonnet to keep it dry which I think helps.

Oh, and as with Clive's, the paint flakes off on this model as well.

Not so worried about the paint peeling off - remote solenoid a good idea - the bumper area is going to get the worst of the weather and road spray - perhaps a plastic lunch-box shroud to go around it? All the parts on the Talon design are IP67 and some bits have goretex seals

So - have been looking at which winch to put on the front. My thinking is that as I will (hopefully) be using it infrequently AND I will be doing a lot of river crossings then a properly sealed winch would be of value. I know you can get the silicone sealant out and pull the winch apart etc every now and again to get the crud out......but I liked the sound of the Superwinch 9.5isr with IP67 sealed bits + synthetic. Not sure whether to go for the bridge version or not - have space for either - it is neater but a lot more money. Thoughts anyone? Won't be doing any challenge events - just needed to pull me out of trouble.

Most of the winch will be hiding behind the ARB bumper so accessibility is a key question - for the socket to the hand-held and the clutch handle

http://www.superwinch.com/p/talon-9-5i-sr-–-9-500-lbs-12v

Looks like a good winch, I like it! :icon-biggrin:

Its quite easy to wire up a switch on the dash to control the winch in and out. I don't even bother with the remote anymore, I have one in out switch on the dash and another on the bullbar above the winch. :icon-ugeek:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Its quite easy to wire up a switch on the dash to control the winch in and out. I don't even bother with the remote anymore, I have one in out switch on the dash and another on the bullbar above the winch. :icon-ugeek:

I'm going to wait until they release their ROAM app for iPhone - then the phone can do the winch functions without any form of cable.....I hope it fails safe :shifty:

I want to wire mine up to the (now) unused 80 series electric aerial up/down switches, which I'm sure is simple, but I don't know where to start.

If anyone has an ejet's guide to do this that a true idiot can follow, I'd be very grateful...:think:

Probably be better for me to give someone else the job... :whistle:

Decided to remove the roof bars after all - put M8x25mm bolts in place to stop the water coming in. Actually M8x12 would be long enough and will get some tomorrow. I'd read that once the front and rear bolt pairs had been removed that the rail would need to be slid fore/aft to free the rail from its mounting. In my case the centre support had a single bolt to the roof and a lever-off cover (similar to the other fixing points) - good job I didn't hit it with the soft faced mallet too hard :?

Anyway that is another 4Kg off the GVW of the truck

Attachments

• IMG_1083 low res.jpg
    IMG_1083 low res.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 449
Looking good, what are your plans with a second battery ?
I ask because my conversion for a split charge was a mighty expensive one.
The guys on here were very helpful :)

Looking good, what are your plans with a second battery ?
I ask because my conversion for a split charge was a mighty expensive one.
The guys on here were very helpful :)

I haven't decided which specific unit to buy. I ran a Gensyz unit on my previous truck which worked pretty well, once that is, the early life failure of a bit of the unit was rectified. The IBS system seems bullet proof and well regarded by many. Whichever system I use I want it to have the manual parallel switch for winch assist and start assist. The thing I don't like about the IBS unit is all those bloody LEDs - I don't want to stare at those or have them in my field of view so Ill have to find a little corner to put it in.....passenger footwell for example. The batteries on the truck are pretty new but I will eventually swap them for a pair of Odyssey PCxxxx which have fantastic performance (used at -40C in Arctic and good to -60C) and can take a lot of abuse, sealed no gas no spill etc, don't need red top/yellow top as strong CCA combined with great discharge/recovery characteristics

Getting some mixed reports on this winch - not just the paint issue but actual failure of the winch - free spool seizure and the hand controls not working. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner in winches - a surprise really as they're essentially very simple devices. I guess I need to get more input from this audience - thoughts and experiences? I guess there is always going to be the Friday afternoon model from any manufacturer. I'm happy to spend the money IF it results in a better winch (reliability is key) but don't want to pay through the nose for rubbish

Yesterday ordered a piece of aluminium tread plate (cut to size and formed into an external channel to give it strength) to mount on the ball as a cheap imitation of a "step n tow". Will need some cutting and drilling to make it fit around the ball - the ball will hold it in place.

And also ordered some food grade stainless steel to put on the tailgate. It is cut to size but i'll need to do the profiling of the sheet to the curves of the tailgate to replace the carpet.

Both items arrive tomorrow - 2 days from Alco Engineering

Attachments

• IMG_1087 low res.jpg
    IMG_1087 low res.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1084 low res.jpg
    IMG_1084 low res.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 416
The thing I don't like about the IBS unit is all those bloody LEDs - I don't want to stare at those or have them in my field of view so Ill have to find a little corner to put it in.....passenger footwell for example.
If memory serves me correctly you can turn the LED display off.

If memory serves me correctly you can turn the LED display off.

I have one of the TMax ones, the lights turn themselves off after about 20 seconds.

Getting some mixed reports on this winch - not just the paint issue but actual failure of the winch - free spool seizure and the hand controls not working. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner in winches - a surprise really as they're essentially very simple devices. I guess I need to get more input from this audience - thoughts and experiences? I guess there is always going to be the Friday afternoon model from any manufacturer. I'm happy to spend the money IF it results in a better winch (reliability is key) but don't want to pay through the nose for rubbish

Best winch?

Got to be the Warn 8274 High Mount! :icon-cool:

The design has barely changed in 40 years!

They are strong, reliable, very fast (with a Warn 6HP motor upgrade) and last a life time as every part is readily available and the whole thing can be easily rebuilt if/when it needs it! :clap:

I also like how the motor isnt attached to the drum so the drum never gets hot which is good for running synthetic ropes.

They are used the world over in the competition scene with lots of companies making and selling upgrades for them to make them even stronger and faster! :icon-twisted:

ARB have for many years made and sold 2 types of bullbars for most 4x4's, one for low mount winches and one for the Warn 8274 high mount! :icon-cool:

And I guess that is the only down side to them for most people is the size of them versus low mounts. :think:

But I've managed to squeeze mine into my winch tray and with the bull bar fitted its completely concealed. :dance:

I've only had one for about 9-10 months now but there is no way I will ever go back to low mounts! :icon-biggrin:

Best winch?

Got to be the Warn 8274 High Mount! :icon-cool:

The design has barely changed in 40 years!

sorry ben your not 100% with the 40 years its longer the 8274 came out in 74 they had the m8000 before that. its only the brake really they changed.

I do love the 8274 best winch i have ever used to be fair. I have rebuilt the one on my LR so its a 8274-50 pretty much now. I am saving this for a silly build i have in mind.

For my 80 i brought a tds goldfish in the end as they are really good for the money. If your not likely to use it that much there is not much point in paying that much for it.
the talon was linked earlier in the post and have not used one but heard a few stories that they are not quiet up to superwinchs normal quailty.

stu

Stainless Steel sheet and formed aluminium tread-plate arrived today - everything nicely packed and in good condition. Weekend job to profile the pieces. Impressed with the service

Attachments

• IMG_1088 low res.jpg
    IMG_1088 low res.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 409
Looks good, I would recommend having it powder coated a colour or sprayed a colour as the glare on a hot summers day is going to be unbearable and you only going to have to sit on it once having left it in the sun for 5min to know you will not do that again as it will get bloody hot.

Looks good, I would recommend having it powder coated a colour or sprayed a colour as the glare on a hot summers day is going to be unbearable and you only going to have to sit on it once having left it in the sun for 5min to know you will not do that again as it will get bloody hot.

We're going to suck it and see before we make decisions about spraying the surface, if at all - but I can I can see what you're getting at. Ideally I want to keep it raw stainless steel surface

Back