Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello everyone from sunny South Africa

John.Thome.2BWild

Country Flag
south_africa
Your name: (especially if you're using an alias :roll: )

Gretings from me, John Thom
é, and my wife Viv. We are passionate about overland travel, wildlife, especially our Rhino, and of course Cruisers.

Your Cruiser: (Model, age, mileage etc)

I drive a 1988 FJ62, 3F, bought in 2008 specifically as "low tech" for long distance and remote bush work.
PIC TO FOLLOW

Mods on your Cruiser:

Ummmmm.... chronogically it's been a long process: diff breathers, electronic ignition, 2x electric fuel pumps, Detroit locker on the front, dual (triple) batteries - including a huge cadmium battery, 80 wat solar panel, roof rack + 4x 20L jerry cans, 2x spares, Maxxis mud tyres, OME suspension, OEM winch, drawer system, 1x 40L Engel fridge/freezer, 1x 40L Waeco fridge/freezer - fully self sufficient.

Plans for your Cruiser: (what does it want to be when it grows up :mrgreen: A family hauler, overlander, off-road monster truck? And what mods do you plan to make to it?)

It's a grown up adult overlander. :icon-cool:

4x4 Experience:

Many trips around southern Africa, including Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe - and of course here at home in RSA to Kruger Park, Karoo National Park, and many more. Upcoming ON FRIDAY 26-12-2014 is the Mountain trip to the Wild Coast - trip report to follow.

Anything else you think is interesting or relevant:

Time and money [mostly lack of].

To share:
Many adventures of our own, current and historic, and looking forward to hearing of yours. As well as technical and operational information.

Hi and welcome John, have fun on the 'wild coast' hope you make down to the coast as I have fond memories of the excellent crayfish there....

Welcome John, and merry Christmas. Now we can post some flying pics here too :)

Hi John
Nice to hear from you again.
Val and I now settled in UK and unfortunately no more bush trips. I remember your 62 well and hauling those bloody jerry cans up onto your roof rack, and when our trucks were broken into in Namibia.
Happy days :)
Regards from Ken & Val

Thanks lc, Gary and Ken.
Ken great to hear from you again and pleased to hear you're settled there. We've done many trips since our Dorsland Trek (I still haven't heard of anyone else doing that route) - and I'll post some retro TRs here soon.
We still travel a lot with Retief and Johan Kriel, in fact doing Gonarezhou together again in July 2015.
Best regards to Val, merry Christmas, and we'll chat soon.

Welcome from me too, stuck in chilly southern france - our dream is to get to SA and see some Rhino in the wild if there are any left by the time we get there. Over 1116 poached as of December 10th this year alone :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
see some Rhino in the wild if there are any left by the time we get there. Over 1116 poached as of December 10th this year alone :(

:icon-eek: That's over three a day.

A few pics of my '62

IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_4773.jpg
IMG_7867.jpg
IMG_7868.jpg

Its a little different fun and beauty to see a land cruiser in action right in the wild and trails. You sure are so proud of yours!

Back