Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Botswana

Craiglord

Country Flag
botswana
Howzit everyone,

Been lurking around the forum as a guest for a while but recently everything fell into place and I was finally able to purchase my 1970-1971, (from what I can deduce from the chassis #), FJ45 cruiser that I have been chasing for more than a year! Its totally stock running the thirsty 2F motor coupled to the 4 speed transmission with 29122km on the clock. From what I was able to find out about its history it was bought in South Africa and then imported into Botswana in 1990 where it has spent its life on a game reserve under one owner only being used once or twice a year for game drives which is likely the reason for the low mileage.

Im busy with the first stages of the rebuild and the ultimate goal of getting it back on the road as a daily drive and capable overlanding rig for me and the Mrs. This will require a powertrain swap at some stage in the future but for now the priority is to get it painted, fixed and back on the road so that we can enjoy it for a while as it was when it came out the factory.

Looking forward to contributing where I can to the forum and to learning from everyone on here.

Thanks and cheers
Craig

Attachments

• 20190425_173101[1].jpg
    20190425_173101[1].jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 26
Hello Craig and welcome....

That is a very low mileage truck and yes 2Fs are thirsty but very torquey. Did you get the windscreen, doors and the rest of the removable top?

I shall watch your progress with interest

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,
Thank you for the welcome!

Yes the vehicle is complete with doors, roof, winscreen and I would say about 75% of the original interior trimings. At the moment its been completely disasembled and I'm getting it ready for paint. I will start a build thread in the coming weeks. Unfortunatley, due to COVID we are cut off from 40 series parts suppliers vis South Africa so its at a bit of a stand still at the moment, very frustrating but we are thankful that its not as bad as in other places.

Cheers

Hi Craig,

With all the other parts that came with it, it is definitely a find and undoubtedly worth the wit to get it.

Yes, C-19 is changing life for all of us but none of have to look very far to see those worse off than ourselves.

Not sure of the numbers but I don't think that Mr T made many detachable top 45s.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

It would be very interesting to know how many detachable top 45s were made and where mine fits in. I have started a build thread and have posted the chassis # up there as someone may be able to give me a more accurate estimate of the year of manufacture, I may be completely wrong in my assumption of 1971.

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back