Hello from Brussels

leeloo Jul 31, 2018

1. Jacob100

Jacob100 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    Genuinely perplexing and chaotic patchwork of a city, Brussels.

Like everyone else I thought it was all grand boulevards and EU diplomats until I arrived on a Sunday morning when I was 19 and was promptly mugged with a Stanley knife in the Metro.

I’ll hopefully be passing through next month but I understand that foreign cars need to register for the low emission zone these days?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. leeloo

leeloo New Member I am in romania

Map
    I think the system is still on "trial", you will get a notification but no fine. In october it will be fully implemented. If your car is Euro 2 you should be fine for this year.
    more information here.
    https://lez.brussels/en/content/my-vehicle#tableaux

3. Jacob100

Jacob100 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    Thanks for that - will have a look.

4. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter Promoted Company I am in england

Map
    Will I be ok on this? 20180817_161622.jpg

5. leeloo

Map
  6. KriPa

KriPa Active Member I am in belgium

Map
    Hello from just outside of Brussels.

Did you do that tour meanwhike,? Because it says that the roads are not freely accessible, it looks like an organised tour?

7. leeloo

Map
    Indeed . that thing was posted in 2014 so the info was not up to date.
    Some parts are ok to go, but on the last part we had to turn and didn't do it.
    For short week-end trips will start going to France, where there are not so many rules and even wild camping is still possible.

8. MetalDonkey

MetalDonkey Active Member I am in uk

Map
    Welcome aboard Mihai nice to have you on this forum . There's a lot of helpful people on here. With regards to your Euro Category . I think they are wrong. Should be a Euro 4 . My reasons for saying this , last month I had to register my car so that I could drive through Belgium before and after returning from Germany. I was given a Euro 4 category. My vehicle Uk LC5 2007 model.

9. leeloo

Map
    Thank you .
    I got a certificate from Toyota and it was corected.
    But still paid 80 euro for the certificate than another 30 to corect it tough it was not my fault...
    Public administration sucks..

10. cruiserlive

cruiserlive New Member I am in turkey

Map
    Hi and welcome.

11. leeloo

Map
    So far so good, did about 7 k km and nothing major. I have 298k km on the ODO so the timing belt is due.
    I also plan to replace the front discs and pads. Since I plan to go back home in Romania for the winter holidays, I will do it there, the work bill will be probably something like 100 euro for this .. in Bruxelles, 600 easy..
    The only thing I noticed is a small clunk noise from the front when I go over small road imperfections. Probably some bushings that need to be replaced. Since I am sure that this car had not seen any offroad until me and it has all the original parts, it was to be expected. It will be taken care of when I take to the shop for the timing belt.
    Fuel consumptions between fill ups stays at about 11 l/100 km no matter what I do. I am happy with that.
    The power heat function works great in cold mornings, after 500 m already blows hot air, very good option to have.

I managed to find a some roof bars that bolt on the original holes on the roof, from Rhino Rack, rated at 100 kg., on a german site. The good thing is they can sell only 2, paid about 350 euro.
    The standard kit is 3 of them and is much more expensive,almost as the price for a full rack. SInce i need them to put a roof top tent, it does not makes sense to have 3 , plus it will block my moon roof.
    They just arrived, I will mount them in the week-end hopefully.
    I also bought a light bar, and I want to test if some H4 LED bulbs work instead of the halogen OEM bulbs, which are useless basically...

I can't wait this holiday, after the car will be in the shop, should not take more than 3 days , for 2 weeks I plan to roam at least half of the mountains in Romania.. :) should be plenty of snowed mountain tracks.. :) good fun :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    clivehorridge and Jacob100 like this.
  12. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Where do you plan getting work done in Romania leeloo, in Bucharest, or do you have a trusted workshop out of town?

13. leeloo

Map
    I am from a small town right where the Danube Delta starts, Tulcea. And I have a very good mechanic I know there, all major work I had done with the Subaru Forester I used to own was done there. I was very happy with the work and the price was fair.
    For the timing belt kit done on a boxer engine ( very complicated), front brake discs changed, change of all fluids including coolant, diffs and automatic gearbox paid like 300 euro.
    I am lucky because since almost each year I go home once, I can do major work on the cars there

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    clivehorridge likes this.
  14. lccihan

lccihan New Member I am in australia

Map
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter