Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Brussels

Genuinely perplexing and chaotic patchwork of a city, Brussels.

Like everyone else I thought it was all grand boulevards and EU diplomats until I arrived on a Sunday morning when I was 19 and was promptly mugged with a Stanley knife in the Metro.

I’ll hopefully be passing through next month but I understand that foreign cars need to register for the low emission zone these days?

Last edited:
Will I be ok on this?
20180817_161622.jpg

Hello from just outside of Brussels.

Did you do that tour meanwhike,? Because it says that the roads are not freely accessible, it looks like an organised tour?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Indeed . that thing was posted in 2014 so the info was not up to date.
Some parts are ok to go, but on the last part we had to turn and didn't do it.
For short week-end trips will start going to France, where there are not so many rules and even wild camping is still possible.

The registration certificat came, and it is wrong, they put there Euro 3, which is impossible for a 2009 car.

The big issue - Euro 3 is banned from all Brussels at the end of 2019., this why I made an extra effort and bought a 2009 car...

I hope it will be possible to correct it, otherewise I will be forced to sell it..
I honestly don't remeber since I have been in this country for a car registration to go well. For the previous car, the certificate got lost it in the mail and after 2 weeks of calls with the car registration office here, they told me I have to go to the police to fille it as lost, pay for a copy etc etc...

This what I pay 900 euro/year tax on this car .and 300 euro on a bloody hybrid.... these... idiots.
Welcome aboard Mihai nice to have you on this forum . There's a lot of helpful people on here. With regards to your Euro Category . I think they are wrong. Should be a Euro 4 . My reasons for saying this , last month I had to register my car so that I could drive through Belgium before and after returning from Germany. I was given a Euro 4 category. My vehicle Uk LC5 2007 model.

Thank you .
I got a certificate from Toyota and it was corected.
But still paid 80 euro for the certificate than another 30 to corect it tough it was not my fault...
Public administration sucks..

So far so good, did about 7 k km and nothing major. I have 298k km on the ODO so the timing belt is due.
I also plan to replace the front discs and pads. Since I plan to go back home in Romania for the winter holidays, I will do it there, the work bill will be probably something like 100 euro for this .. in Bruxelles, 600 easy..
The only thing I noticed is a small clunk noise from the front when I go over small road imperfections. Probably some bushings that need to be replaced. Since I am sure that this car had not seen any offroad until me and it has all the original parts, it was to be expected. It will be taken care of when I take to the shop for the timing belt.
Fuel consumptions between fill ups stays at about 11 l/100 km no matter what I do. I am happy with that.
The power heat function works great in cold mornings, after 500 m already blows hot air, very good option to have.

I managed to find a some roof bars that bolt on the original holes on the roof, from Rhino Rack, rated at 100 kg., on a german site. The good thing is they can sell only 2, paid about 350 euro.
The standard kit is 3 of them and is much more expensive,almost as the price for a full rack. SInce i need them to put a roof top tent, it does not makes sense to have 3 , plus it will block my moon roof.
They just arrived, I will mount them in the week-end hopefully.
I also bought a light bar, and I want to test if some H4 LED bulbs work instead of the halogen OEM bulbs, which are useless basically...

I can't wait this holiday, after the car will be in the shop, should not take more than 3 days , for 2 weeks I plan to roam at least half of the mountains in Romania.. :) should be plenty of snowed mountain tracks.. :) good fun :)

Last edited:
Where do you plan getting work done in Romania leeloo, in Bucharest, or do you have a trusted workshop out of town?

I am from a small town right where the Danube Delta starts, Tulcea. And I have a very good mechanic I know there, all major work I had done with the Subaru Forester I used to own was done there. I was very happy with the work and the price was fair.
For the timing belt kit done on a boxer engine ( very complicated), front brake discs changed, change of all fluids including coolant, diffs and automatic gearbox paid like 300 euro.
I am lucky because since almost each year I go home once, I can do major work on the cars there

Last edited:
I managed to fit the rhino rack bars,
IMG-20181208-143657.jpg

At 2 am I will start the trip towards Romania, with a stop in Viena.
In Romania they announced some have snow so it will be fun :)

So I arrived safely, but with some adventures on the road. Both routes towards my home town were blocked by accidents, so the last leg was much longer than expected. It was snowing a lot some parts, but nothing the land cruiser could not handle easily. I also had an electrical issue, all the tail lights gone. This was serious. Since all of them were gone I suspected the fuse, which was burned. I replaced it with a spare but that one burned in like 5 min and also I smelled some burned plastic as well.
All the other lights were fine tough, so I turned on the tail fog lights . It was not nice for people staying on my back, but I could not do anything else at the time.
As it turned out, I had a lot of water in the small lamps for the back registration plate, and that caused a short.
I also replaced the timing belt kit, front disk brakes and pads, some bushing on the stabilising bar and some steering links. The car now is much more stable, no longer leans towards front when braking, and no more noises from the front end. I am very happy all is sorted.
In 2 days I am heading towards the mountains and the real holiday begins :)

So beautiful Mihai, I’ve driven the Transrarau, but only at Easter time, there were bits of snow around, but nothing like your photos, that’s Christmas Card stuff, or maybe the 2020 club calendar :lol: :thumbup:

4F35A301-B2F3-4B1D-80E2-E1FB3771BA03.png

Last edited:
I was very lucky, I got a as much as a cloud free day as you get in the winter in the mountains.. :)

Back