Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Chicagoland. 1977 fj40....

swenson18

Country Flag
united_states
First of all, I am no expert....I am a 55 year old general surgeon and not a mechanic......I have had this '77 Landcruiser throughout my childhood....my Dad bought it new in North Dakota at a Toyota dealership and I grew up with it........ Through the years I really put it to the test on several trips into the Beartooth Mountains in Montana. It is an amazing vehicle and anyone on this website will attest to that or they are deranged. Things I have done myself to the Landcruiser include: installing new springs and shocks with a 4.5 inch lift; then front and rear double cardon drive shafts to cure the vibration of the altered pinion angle (it really worked and my knowledge of the science of pinion angles is limited); a Warn winch and front bumper; spark plugs and a new rotor (couldn't unscrew the points and still struggling with that); installed a new intake manifold gasket (that was a bitch and it probably still leaks a little); screwed around with the stock carburetor but seems to run better now; new choke cable....which was aftermarket and sucked so got the original again online for way too much (unscrewing the cable from behind the dash really sucks)(have some bandaids and Neosporin ready for your hands); went after the brakes about a month ago (new calipers and pads in the front and then new shoes and pistons in the rear)….found that adjusting the rear drum brakes was key to having the right feel at the brake pedal; also put in a new master cylinder because it looked like something good to do. Clutch master cylinder also blew out one time and was replaced. I reupholstered the front seats.....and changed out the steering gearbox because it was leaking. I've almost made a career out of this Landcruiser. Maybe many of you have the same feeling. I have no disclosures and work for no companies so I'm not promoting anything. That said, because I am a physician I am always ready to give advice and will continue to do so if I truly know what I'm doing.

First of all, I am no expert....I am a 55 year old general surgeon and not a mechanic......I have had this '77 Landcruiser throughout my childhood....my Dad bought it new in North Dakota at a Toyota dealership and I grew up with it........ Through the years I really put it to the test on several trips into the Beartooth Mountains in Montana. It is an amazing vehicle and anyone on this website will attest to that or they are deranged. Things I have done myself to the Landcruiser include: installing new springs and shocks with a 4.5 inch lift; then front and rear double cardon drive shafts to cure the vibration of the altered pinion angle (it really worked and my knowledge of the science of pinion angles is limited); a Warn winch and front bumper; spark plugs and a new rotor (couldn't unscrew the points and still struggling with that); installed a new intake manifold gasket (that was a bitch and it probably still leaks a little); screwed around with the stock carburetor but seems to run better now; new choke cable....which was aftermarket and sucked so got the original again online for way too much (unscrewing the cable from behind the dash really sucks)(have some bandaids and Neosporin ready for your hands); went after the brakes about a month ago (new calipers and pads in the front and then new shoes and pistons in the rear)….found that adjusting the rear drum brakes was key to having the right feel at the brake pedal; also put in a new master cylinder because it looked like something good to do. Clutch master cylinder also blew out one time and was replaced. I reupholstered the front seats.....and changed out the steering gearbox because it was leaking. I've almost made a career out of this Landcruiser. Maybe many of you have the same feeling. I have no disclosures and work for no companies so I'm not promoting anything. That said, because I am a physician I am always ready to give advice and will continue to do so if I truly know what I'm doing.
Hi from England and welcome,

Sounds like you've had some fun with your Land Cruiser, if you wish to go through the 'initiation ceremony' and learn the 'secret hand shake' then you must supply some candid photos of you Land Cruiser, for perusal by the members. :laughing-rolling:

Only joking, photos would be good though,

Keep posting & Stay Safe. :thumbup: :icon-biggrin:

Hi from England and welcome,

Sounds like you've had some fun with your Land Cruiser, if you wish to go through the 'initiation ceremony' and learn the secret 'hand shake' then you must supply some candid photos of you Land Cruiser, for perusal by the members.

Only joking, photos would be good though,

Keep posting & Stay Safe.
I will work on that.....for some reason they are all on my phone.....will get after it.

Ok here’s for the secret handshake

Attachments

• 4E22E7FD-7DCD-4504-A022-0581C85C6917.jpeg
    4E22E7FD-7DCD-4504-A022-0581C85C6917.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 1AF2B984-6A98-45C0-B70D-1B5BCEFF627F.jpeg
    1AF2B984-6A98-45C0-B70D-1B5BCEFF627F.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 46
  • D27C35A4-0169-44C9-85B7-BD00BF968304.jpeg
    D27C35A4-0169-44C9-85B7-BD00BF968304.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 45
  • A00FAFB7-B8CD-4695-8A2E-992D1488FF32.jpeg
    A00FAFB7-B8CD-4695-8A2E-992D1488FF32.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 38EC0968-CC3B-4A15-A946-2D3822094D28.jpeg
    38EC0968-CC3B-4A15-A946-2D3822094D28.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 474670A5-38A9-47C1-80DD-82BF1FA96121.jpeg
    474670A5-38A9-47C1-80DD-82BF1FA96121.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 46
  • F85654E5-3717-46E2-B063-EE667D5349D0.jpeg
    F85654E5-3717-46E2-B063-EE667D5349D0.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 41
  • D4B19BDC-8B5E-4C3B-B85E-8F01AAA12DEC.jpeg
    D4B19BDC-8B5E-4C3B-B85E-8F01AAA12DEC.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 9C4884E7-2873-45DC-9B79-D3157262DBA8.jpeg
    9C4884E7-2873-45DC-9B79-D3157262DBA8.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 46
  • 88EDC993-F37D-4258-B168-BE42669D1188.jpeg
    88EDC993-F37D-4258-B168-BE42669D1188.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 42EC9078-2096-4F55-A760-47FF42AD6EAA.jpeg
    42EC9078-2096-4F55-A760-47FF42AD6EAA.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 43
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello and welcome...

With your Dad buying the FJ new you obviously know its complete history which is amazing. I guess most of us would really like to know what had been done to our 40s once they left the factory and before they arrived in our ownership. Unlike most of us, you probably haven't had to unravel a previous owner's mess...

I was surprised to see discs on the front as I didn't think they were standard until the early 80s, unless it was an upgrade for the USA, or was it a modification at some point in its history?

How do you find the 4.5 inch lift? We have a 2.5 lift and find that reasonable for most of the off roading we do and any higher the good lady would need a ladder to get in.

Good looking truck.

Regards,

Rodger

Hello and welcome...

With your Dad buying the FJ new you obviously know its complete history which is amazing. I guess most of us would really like to know what had been done to our 40s once they left the factory and before they arrived in our ownership. Unlike most of us, you probably haven't had to unravel a previous owner's mess...

I was surprised to see discs on the front as I didn't think they were standard until the early 80s, unless it was an upgrade for the USA, or was it a modification at some point in its history?

How do you find the 4.5 inch lift? We have a 2.5 lift and find that reasonable for most of the off roading we do and any higher the good lady would need a ladder to get in.

Good looking truck.

Regards,

Rodger
Hello and welcome...

Good looking truck.

Regards,

Rodger
Yeah it would be challenging to unravel some of the surprises previous owners might bring you....the lift kit has been great and it leveled the rear end which was always an eyesore....the ride is surprisingly not too stiff. I had a 2.5 inch rancho kit put on by a company in Bismarck, ND in the early 80s with dual shocks in the back....the rancho springs were thick and only 3 leafs. Now that I’m older I appreciate a little softer ride. Thanks for the welcome....

I think they a;; suffer from saggy back end, we did my rear springs recently and now she sits level. Being an ex-winch race truck the rear springs were not from a 40 but were the correct width so we combined the top two and added the bottom three from the new (second hand) set. Made all the difference to the ride and the look.
Do you have any photos of the dual shock rear?

Regards,

Rodger

This is all I have Rodger....the springs were the ones from CCOT. I've been happy with them. Took the extra shock off for now ….better for city driving
IMG_0136(1).JPG

Hello and welcome...

Good looking truck.

Regards,

Rodger
Is that your FJ Rodger?....it looks great. When we bought this 77 it was "Cygnus white".....always liked the white....shined up nice. I don't know why we painted it red. My college buddies called it "the menstrual mobile".....no respect. My roommate in college had a brother who owned a body shop in Minnesota and he painted it inside and out. I remember having to buy new gauges because he never disconnected battery and everything blew out....at least that's the theory. Had no gas gauge for a while which was tricky.

Yes, she is a 1975 BJ40 but has a 2H (3980cc straight 6) engine with a 5 speed box. All from an HJ60 plus the axles and PS. When we got her she was an ex winch race truck with no doors, no roof, plenty of rot and a full FIM roll cage. There is a thread on here - Evolution of my 40 - which you might find interesting. All 24 volt but with a dropper for the phone charger, CB and GPS.
She has been our daily driver for the last ten years and we OR in the Tabernas desert (where they made the spaghetti westerns) and the Gorafe desert. We live in Spain, not far from the deserts.
We have no information pre her race time other than she lived in London. Neither do we have any idea as to her mileage from new but the 2H is supposed to be the 'million mile' engine and since fitting headers she pulls really well. She was originally red but when we got her she had been painted inside and out in white so when we repainted her we stuck with the white but this time a Toyota white.
FJ/BJ40s were never officially imported (except for 2 for Toyota UK's use) but I had wanted one for years ever since I saw a picture in the 70s but it took until 2002 until I bought this one and the first few years were spent getting her sorted.

Some years ago I was trying to locate a carb plate for a chap in Chicago and he sent me a photo of inside Soldier Field as my daughter has been a Bears fan since Walter Payton was playing. we have followed the NFL since it was fiorst televised in the UK, around '86.

The red on your FJ is still very strong - red tends to go milky over time - and even though your cllege buddies showed no respect the painter must have use a good quality paint even if he omitted to disconnect the battery. I ws interested in the double shock mount merely to see how it was done so your photos were very informative. It is not something I'm planning to do but thank you for posting them.

Regards,

Rodger

Yes, she is a 1975 BJ40 but has a 2H (3980cc straight 6) engine with a 5 speed box. All from an HJ60 plus the axles and PS. When we got her she was an ex winch race truck with no doors, no roof, plenty of rot and a full FIM roll cage. There is a thread on here - Evolution of my 40 - which you might find interesting. All 24 volt but with a dropper for the phone charger, CB and GPS.
She has been our daily driver for the last ten years and we OR in the Tabernas desert (where they made the spaghetti westerns) and the Gorafe desert. We live in Spain, not far from the deserts.
We have no information pre her race time other than she lived in London. Neither do we have any idea as to her mileage from new but the 2H is supposed to be the 'million mile' engine and since fitting headers she pulls really well. She was originally red but when we got her she had been painted inside and out in white so when we repainted her we stuck with the white but this time a Toyota white.
FJ/BJ40s were never officially imported (except for 2 for Toyota UK's use) but I had wanted one for years ever since I saw a picture in the 70s but it took until 2002 until I bought this one and the first few years were spent getting her sorted.

Some years ago I was trying to locate a carb plate for a chap in Chicago and he sent me a photo of inside Soldier Field as my daughter has been a Bears fan since Walter Payton was playing. we have followed the NFL since it was fiorst televised in the UK, around '86.

The red on your FJ is still very strong - red tends to go milky over time - and even though your cllege buddies showed no respect the painter must have use a good quality paint even if he omitted to disconnect the battery. I ws interested in the double shock mount merely to see how it was done so your photos were very informative. It is not something I'm planning to do but thank you for posting them.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger for the history....I’ll look for the thread....

Back