Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Japan

Don Lacer

Country Flag
united_states
My name is Don I currently live in Japan and have for the past 18 years. We have two young children that enjoy camping and I have been wanting a LandCruiser Troopy for a few years. I’m hoping that I can glean as much knowledge and experience from fellow members so that I can make the right decision. I would like to install an Alucab Hercules and and awning so that we don’t have to tent so much.

With that said, I’m currently looking for a used Troopy in Japan and there seem to be some available but they are fairly old so I don’t know what to look for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Don and welcome...

I have assumed that it is the 70 series troopy that you are looking for rather than the earlier 40 series. I don't have a 70 series so will leave it to others to advise but thought the following wiki article may help clarify the Troopy's evolution for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J70)

Regards,
Rodger

Hello Rodger,

Yes, I’m interested in the 70 series troopy. I've read the Wiki entry, but thanks for the link. I've also been looking at Andrew Saint Pierre White's Troopy on YouTube and I like what he has done so far.

The GXL and double cab Ute (pickup) are pretty easy to find here, but all newer ones are gasoline. I found a 2014 tan Troopy left-hand drive yesterday but it's listed as gasoline (?). I'd prefer diesel as I want to keep to eventually (slowly) upgrade it as an overland camper for the wife and I and maybe even take it overseas when the kids are old enough to take care of themselves. Incidentally, we currently live north of Tokyo in Saitama.

Last edited:
In Japan and looking for a landcruiser? Ummmm its maybe a longshot but the first place I would go is to the TOYOTA FACTORY OUTLET shop....

Hi Don and Welcome. You’ve come to the right place for help and advice. Good to have you aboard. Good luck with the search. Don’t worry too much about age or high mileage though the Shaken is your biggest enemy I believe.
My 81 came from Fukushima. Hope you are a long way away.

Best wishes

Richard

Thanks IRLGW. I’ll try to find it.

What makes shaken so expensive is the older the vehicle the more that has to be fixed or replaced. Shaken on my 2014 BMW R1200GSA last September was about $800 for two years but that included $150 for the rear brake pads. Shaken includes limited liability insurance for two years so it’s really not as bad if you take that into consideration.

We’re a long way from Fukushima.

I have found a few more recently, had to search in Japanese.

Don

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
C37D736F-BA05-4E9B-80F6-68016C2512A9.png I’ve been in Japan for almost 18 years and have never seen one on the road. I’ve seen a lot of Gelandewagens, but never a troopy.

I just found a brand new one, left-hand drive, that’s roughly $80,000 US. That seems like a lot of money!

I don’t know what the going price is overseas for a brand new one. Does anyone know how much they are going for in Australia, for example?

Hi Don & welcome. It may help to register with auctions there and therefore see what they have and get in often. Japan exports a lot of vehicles and a Troopy although rare may come up from time to time with a attractive price.

Take you time and get the right one it’s just gonna take more research to source.

All the best

Dervis

Dervis,

I'll see if it is possible to do so without having to be a dealer, etc.

I'll definitely take my time so that we get the best deal possible. We're not a hurry, I've also got to look into fitting it out and how we can do that living here.

I came across a blog Wanderlibre.com and really like how they have kitted it out for world travel.

Don

Dervis,

Thanks for the link. I searched today, but didn’t find a Troopy. I’ll keep an eye on the auction. Hopefully one that suits us will come along.

Back