Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first Land Cruiser is on its way home TODAY! :)

Jamsy

Country Flag
scotland
Hello folks,
Im new to the forum, came on here as I am thinking about buying an 80series LC.
I have just sold my Land Rover 90 v8 (fuel guzzler) as I need a family friendly 4x4 now. Im thinking the LC is the way forward.
Looking for something with as low a mileage as possible for around the 6k mark. Wouldn't say no to a few mods like wheels/tyres and a suspension lift.
Heard the 80series are the most robust and I like the old classics so it seems a good halfway between being older and also comfortable.
Cheers

Welcome James.

You won't go wrong with an 80. Finding a half ok one is quite hard work.
I wouldn't let the miles bother you too much.

Scotland? Is that another part of the eu no longer in UK? I hear import duty is going to be getting pretty steep so wouldn't buy anything that requires parts to be flown in over eu airspace. Mind you it could be the new Cuba and will be full of extinct vehicles in about 50 years time! Having said that though an 80 isn't going to require many parts...

Hi Jamsy,
The 80 is a great family vehicle. A manual gearbox may be more economical (10%) perhaps and many have 8 seats if you need them. Rust and maintenance record is more important than miles on the clock. A 200k miler thats been well maintained should be in budget but not easy to find. Good luck

Welcome aboard Jamsy, suggest you get one from England, some from further north have worse rust issues due to winter salt.

Otherwise, all as above...

Hi Jamesy and welcome. Although I've been an 80 owner for the past 21 years and had a few variations from a 91 manual diesel to a 98 Amazon petrol and every variation in between I would say in the real world unless you are doing hardcore overlanding or towing max legal weights a 120 is far superior. It has the same power from its 3 litre engine, its more economical, has the same space with far better ergonomics, its quieter with a far better ride and less wind noise.
There are those who think the solid front axle is a plus point, again it may be in the roughest of terrain for hundreds of miles but the Toyota IFS is proven and very strong.
Regarding the "electrics" or lack of them on an 80 there is still plenty and in general all Toyota electrics are more reliable than most.

Finding a good LC80 these days is a real challenge and bargains are few and very far between, finding a "good" one not needing work is a near impossibility whereas finding a good 120 is a less difficult task ( I only had to look at 10 before finding a good one)

This is not an 80 bashing exercise, I still own one ( and love it) but it is 1980's technology and things always evolve for the better.

Just saying like.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the welcome and the reply folks. I would prefer a manual Ben but there seems to be less of them around. Theres a beautiful maroon 80 on ebay thats been resprayed and restored but its 10k which is out of my budget.
Theres a really nice one in the same maroon colour in Blackburn for sale which im tempted on, its got the lifted suspension and a few other bits and pieces but I can see from the photos its got rust under the back window, it still looks good though.
Thanks for all the info Andy,

Im not too keen on the newer stuff like the 120, I think I just prefer the look of the older stuff. Ive just got rid of my old Land Rover 90 V8 so im sure the 80 series will be a lot more comfortable and economical than that, although Ive never even been in one.

Im not too keen on the newer stuff like the 120, I think I just prefer the look of the older stuff. Ive just got rid of my old Land Rover 90 V8 so im sure the 80 series will be a lot more comfortable and economical than that, although Ive never even been in one.

I'd take my time and test drive all options. Compared with an 80, a 120 will be low maintenance form of transport. When I bought my first 80 its only competition was the P38 RR and the Collie had just come out. Now there are more options even within the Mr T marque for the money. Don't discount the Colorado, for the money they are very good and would give you a lot of change out of your budget. I've run one for the past 2 1/2 half years (a D4D LWB) and enjoyed every mile. Its all relative to price I suppose, the 120 cost me twice as much as the Collie cost but I know I wouldn't get an 80 series in the same condition as either for the 120 money. A good (£7K) 80 will soon turn into a £10K 80 when the remedial maintenance kicks in.

I'd take my time and test drive all options. Compared with an 80, a 120 will be low maintenance form of transport. When I bought my first 80 its only competition was the P38 RR and the Collie had just come out. Now there are more options even within the Mr T marque for the money. Don't discount the Colorado, for the money they are very good and would give you a lot of change out of your budget. I've run one for the past 2 1/2 half years (a D4D LWB) and enjoyed every mile. Its all relative to price I suppose, the 120 cost me twice as much as the Collie cost but I know I wouldn't get an 80 series in the same condition as either for the 120 money. A good (£7K) 80 will soon turn into a £10K 80 when the remedial maintenance kicks in.

Thanks for the info Andy, I plan to test drive the 80 and the 100 series Amazon. I think im sold on the look of the old 80 though, the big wheels, lifted suspension etc.
I just missed out on this one for 6.5k, 143k miles and FSH
IMG_7588.JPG

Thanks for the info Andy, I plan to test drive the 80 and the 100 series Amazon. I think im sold on the look of the old 80 though, the big wheels, lifted suspension etc.
I just missed out on this one for 6.5k, 143k miles and FSH
IMG_7588.JPG

Mmmmmn, saw it on your other post. Could have been good maybe? Whatever you get within your budget it will be an old truck. The 120 I've just bought I think of as being " nearly new" and "quite modern" and its 13 years old!! Most people nowadays would think buying such an old vehicle ridiculous and quite nonsensical.
BTW of all the Cruisers I've owned and still have the 100 series is the one I would keep/ sell last above all the others.

Yeah I think it could of been.
I agree about the 120 being 'nearly new', too modern for me though. If I was buying a new car as a daily I'd be looking at Mk2 Cortinas or Merc W123's!
I think the 80 series would be a happy medium, kind of old school but still comfortable?
Is it the comfort you like of the 100 series? I'd consider one if it was lifted with big wheels, winch etc but I still just dont think they look as cool as the 80.

Yeah I think it could of been.
I agree about the 120 being 'nearly new', too modern for me though. If I was buying a new car as a daily I'd be looking at Mk2 Cortinas or Merc W123's!
I think the 80 series would be a happy medium, kind of old school but still comfortable?
Is it the comfort you like of the 100 series? I'd consider one if it was lifted with big wheels, winch etc but I still just dont think they look as cool as the 80.

Yep. I know what you mean about the Merc 123 series. I had a 1983 300TD before I bought my first 80. I had it from 1990 till 97 so it was old when I bought a 2 year old 80 series. It was a great car providing comfortable ( but not fast) family transport. Do I wish I still had it? NO, things have moved on .

Yeah the w123's are cool.
Thinking of going to look at a 100 series, 148k miles, no service history though :grimacing:

"I think the 80 series would be a happy medium, kind of old school but still comfortable?"

Exactly one of the reasons i have an 80:thumbup:

Yeah the w123's are cool.
Thinking of going to look at a 100 series, 148k miles, no service history though :grimacing:

Take the 100 on face value if it has no service history, mine didn't but it didn't put me off and it turned out fine.
Check everything electrical works and the AHC too.
good luck.

My new (to me) Land Cruiser is on its way home!
My folks are driving it up from Newton-Le-Willows, currently stopped off in the Yorkshire Dales. If anyone sees a silver/grey 80 series heading North give them a wave :greetings-waveyell:
Exciting times :banana-dance:

My new (to me) Land Cruiser is on its way home!
My folks are driving it up from Newton-Le-Willows, currently stopped off in the Yorkshire Dales. If anyone sees a silver/grey 80 series heading North give them a wave :greetings-waveyell:
Exciting times :banana-dance:
Good luck with it Jamsy... if your not on the site for a while we'll assume all is ok:yum:

Back