Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello to all Land Cruiser fans .... advice on 1st cruiser please

Paulys

Country Flag
uk
Your name: Paul
Your Cruiser: waiting to purchase
Plans for your Cruiser: will be Layla used for moving the family and dogs between camping , beach and everyday use :
4x4 Experience: just sold a defender and now looking for something a little more comfortable but no less fun

I am looking to buy my first cruiser with a budget of 8k max. What would you advise to look out for when buying and best model.lversion tk go for. Needs to be 5 door and diesel. Any advice really appreciated. Thanks
Paul

Also, don't forget to put your cruiser details in your signature (in your Profile) so that people know what vehicle you have when you respond to posts! And also indicate in your profile where you're based :idea:

Hi Paul welcome and Happy New Year.

Have an 80 series auto 1995 in Cyprus. Good all truck for ten years now.

For £8000 you should with the help of the great members here get a good vehicle. Would be looking at 90 series, 120 series and the 80 series Landcruiser’s being harder to get a good used one.

Dervis Garup thanks for that and suggestions of models to consider and a Happy New year to you.

Dervis’ 80 is close to mint condition with the work he’s done on it. Of course, I can’t say an 80 wouldn’t be my first choice (I’m well biased) but you’d probably be happier with something newer than a 25 year old truck. As Dervis said, a 90 or a 120 would probably be somewhere to start.
Beware though, my experience is your first Land Cruiser may well end up as your last.... they have a habit of becoming a beloved member of the family, not just a vehicle... :lol:

I'd say test drive whichever models you can because they are all better than a Defender while at the same time they all have a pesonality of their own , my 80 ticks all the boxes my 90 doesn't but it doesn't tick any of the boxes my 90 does . I drove a 120 once and knew i'd never drive one again but maybe because its to posh for a roughneck like me :confusion-shrug:

Hi Paul - HNY I've got two 80 series and as Shayne said each has its own 'personality' albeit that both at 1991 's one is stock standard and the other is an overlander.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shayne
Thanks for the post. I have seen a 120 which seems fair condition but looking at MOT history it has had repeated failing 3 out of last 5 years for headlamps being too low /high so sounds like maybe it has an ongoing issue with the car that hasn’t been resolved. The older models although my idea of bliss having come from a defender may not pass the approval test for my other half . As you suggest maybe a case of test driving a few

Hi Clive
That’s the idea , buy it and keep it. The defender had to go as kids arrived big a LC will cater for everything we need it to carry (and more) whilst being a fun drive

Hi Paul - HNY I've got two 80 series and as Shayne said each has its own 'personality' albeit that both at 1991 's one is stock standard and the other is an overlander.
Hi
I aspire to having one for overland and one for daily use ....of I can get this one in the family then the second will be a natural progression

Good 80 series are getting hard to find and expensive now. I had a lwb Colorado for a while a few years back. I sold it to a mate who uses it shooting. I drove it again a week or 3 back and I have to say I was really surprised at just how good it was to drive. Seriously underrated trucks in my opinion
If you could find a good one now I think it would be a great truck for your requirements. Just my tuppence worth.

failing 3 out of last 5 years for headlamps being too low /high

I imagine it has a dash switch to raise and lower headlights so you can compensate while towing a heavy load or you want to see more while navigating off road , the same question has been raised at MOT time about all 3 of my trucks many garages get confused when you drive a proper 4x4 in :icon-rolleyes:

Cruisers always polish up well so get under it and look for rust .

Ah that makes sense.
I understand it’s the sills that need checking. Any other prime areas?

That’s the idea as you see so many high mileage and older vehicles still on the road. Will hopefully be a keeper if I can find the right one. I took about a year to find my defender as soon many are rust ridden abs poorly maintainer

Everything connected to your rear axle has an opposite end that could do with a paint unless rust has gone deep and its to late for paint .

Hi Paul,

I think you should be looking at an 2008 onwards 120 series for £8k.
Miles shouldn't be a problem.
My 2005 got sold with 275,000 on the clock, and sweet as they come.
I could temporarily remove the 3 rear seats, and I fitted a simple 25mm box frame, using the same outboard seat mounts. This had a 15mm ply board fitted to it, with nice grey carpet. To finish off, I had a table top fridge, a table top freezer, a microwave, all powered by a 2kW inverter. Proper home from home.
(3).jpg

Everything connected to your rear axle has an opposite end that could do with a paint unless rust has gone deep and its to late for paint .
Will have a good look around when I find one . Appreciate the advice

Sounds like the perfect truck . Just need to find a good one now. Cheers Paul

There are a few decent 100 series for just under 8 grand on ebay at the moment... Prices for 80 and 100 series are all over the place at the moment... I went to look at a 100 series the other day and it was as described, A decent Truck for the Money...... On the flip side.. I went to look at a 100 series for 13 grand and it was a heap of Rust.. Be prepared to crawl around underneath......... Let us know where you are ! Then folk can alert you to one near you..... Good luck

Higgy. Thanks for that. I suppose covid tax is kicking in for trucks at the moment hence the all over the place pricing.
I am down in Hampshire but happy to travel (when allowed) to have look at trucks.
cheers

Yes, go Hundy. The power, comfort, size and versatility make the 100 series the fun family hauler par excellance.

Back