Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

help..auto gear not releasing from park

Seagull-russ

Country Flag
uk
hey all

couple days ago my car has started an issue with not releasing from park until an abs light comes on and then it seems to release after pressing back onto the brake. however today it did the same leaving work but when I got home and slipped back into park it has refused to budge out of it. the stick literally wont release. any suggestions? I was thinking abs wheel sensor but it didn't behave like this before.

thanks
russell

If the brake pedal switch is broken, you can't shift, becouse the system does not detect that the brake pedal is depressed. Check if you brake ligts work when you press the pedal.
If they don't that that is the most likely cause.
There is also a shift lock solenoid, not sure where it is located on the landcruiser. I think it has his own fuse as well.
There is way you can release it anyway, but it does not fix the issue, it is and overrride,
Near the lever you should have a small hole with a plastic cap. remove the cap and press the button there with a pencil or something...

+1 on that. Check your brake lights, fuse and switch. I managed to stop mine working (80) by backing a trailer and busting the light causing the brake light fuse to blow.

ok, breaking it down.
changed rear brake bulbs at the weekend, had leds previously. since then had the problem. I used 580 bulbs, as I couldn't remember and checked online. is that right bulb type?
checked fuses after posting and tail/stop fuses seem intact, took new bulbs out and rechecked all connected fine. then it worked.
went out after and just coming home, problem re-occurred but managed get going but brake lights not working at all, top or side. but I have no abs light warning.
im assuming the bulb is wrong type?

thanks
russell

the brake lights are only in the top cluster and not in bumper correct? double checking as I know some are just in bumper and later models had all in the upper clusters

I’ve no idea what’s what but the manual should show what bulbs you need.

One check, did the bulbs you took out have two solder blobs on the back and offset pegs sticking out the side of the cylindrical casing or did they have one contact and the pegs in the same place opposite one another? If the former, make certain the bulb is in the correct way round so that the pegs are held evenly by the hooks on the side of the lamp holder.

If you get stuck, put the LEDs back and see what happens.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
for some LED's to work instead of normal bulbs they need to have s small bit that simulates the normal power draw to fool the system it has normal bulbs.
You might need to remove that small bit if you go back to bulbs.

:text-goodpost:

It’s possible these load resistors have been added, maybe into the wiring close to the lampholder to stop the canbus thinking the bulb has blown.

its puzzling really, I had normal bulbs when 1st got car then added some leds, but since going back to bulb its played up, could the drawage have confused the ecu? iv managed get some new leds today but silly weather says no fitting atm. im really hoping its the bulbs as seems strange anything else would suddenly play up after the change,

its puzzling really, I had normal bulbs when 1st got car then added some leds, but since going back to bulb its played up, could the drawage have confused the ecu? iv managed get some new leds today but silly weather says no fitting atm. im really hoping its the bulbs as seems strange anything else would suddenly play up after the change,
I fitted led bulbs all around on my car after six months I noticed the stop/tail lights went very dim as did the front side lights and fog lights had started to flicker , but the stop/tail lights made no effect on the trans in p position , I put the original rear stop/tail lights back in , and put samsung led super bright 8w side lights and samsung 15w super bright fog lights , that was just over a year ago had no proms since , Led headlights led numberplate and all interior led lights have been working perfect since I fitted them 2 years ago .

well, managed swap the led brake lights in, and all working so far, went for a drive, parked up, switched off 20mins, and restarted all fine. fingers crossed sorted but puzzling

Back