Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help identifying bolts & flasher relay question...

Biscuit

Country Flag
france
Hey guys,

Finally getting towards the end of my build, it's taken far longer than expected, having a baby and restoring a house at the same time, but I digress...

I wanted to cover the hole above the fuel pump (where the rear heater would normally go) and I've fabricated something to match the contours of the floor pan, but I have no idea what bolts are needed - I've looked at the parts lists but can't see anything to match what is required - the bolt hole looks like a double-sided key hole. It's probably just a lack of experience on my part, but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

bolt.jpg

Second question - one of the arms in the flasher relay (81980-36070 - it's a 1983 BJ42) on my truck was burnt out. I've got the lights working again short term by soldering in a makeshift arm, and I've ordered a new relay for the long term, but I don't want to fit the new relay without diagnosing what caused the problem with the old one. Are there common causes for this I should look for or is this just something that happens to old flasher relays?

Cheers in advance, hope you're all well

Hi Alex,

The bolt hole looks like it would accept some sort of Dzus clip but I'm guessing as I have never seen how the rear heater is secured. Perhaps a member who has a rear heater in their 40 may be able to give you more accurate information.

Regarding the flasher unit, it would be worth testing the circuit first as IMO the unit has had some sort of spike fed back to it. Hopefully others, who know more about electrics, will advise you.

Glad the truck build is progressing as well as the house and congrats on the baby.

regards,

Rodger

It depends on the type of burn on your flasher relay. It’s an odd one really, burns usually happen due to poor connections that are carrying a current for long periods. They get hot and take the temper out of the spring contact they are plugged into so the connection gets worse and corrosion sets in adding to the mix. Indicators on the other hand are not on for long and don’t draw huge currents. The other possibility is water sitting in the plug. This can make a mess of things. Unlikely to be a spike though as old school stuff like this is electro mechanical and liable to generate spikes rather than be susceptible to them.

A photo, close up of the ‘burned’ pin and where it plugs in might help.

Congratulations btw

Back