Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! Landcruiser won't start

BexW

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, we have a land cruiser Colorado 1999 manual. It recently decided not to start. On turning the key in the ignition, all we get is 'CLICK'! Charged the batteries, checked and cleaned all connections and tried again 'CLICK'. Brought new batteries, tried again 'CLICK!' Someone on another forum suggested it may be the starter motor SO we Changed the starter motor and cable, fitted a brand new ones, put everything back together again, turned the key and.. 'CLICK!' It might be something really obvious but I honestly don't know where to start with electrics. Can anyone shed any light as to what they think it could be?

Last edited:
Sounds familiar to the starting problem I had a few years ago.

Try cleaning up all the connections in the cables that run to the starter and the Earth straps. Worked for me

Hi, we have a land cruiser Colorado 2000. It recently decided not to start. On turning the key in the ignition, all we get is 'CLICK'! Charged the batteries, tried again 'CLICK'. Someone on another forum suggested it may be the starter motor SO we Changed the starter motor, fitted a brand new one, put everything back together again, turned the key and 'CLICK!' Can anyone shed any light as to what they think it could be?
Could be a number of things, If your getting a click it means your getting power to the solenoid but I would double check all connections positive and negative. on the batteries and the starter. Is it auto or manual.. Im sure someone with a bigger brain than mine will be a long soon.

Sounds familiar to the starting problem I had a few years ago.

Try cleaning up all the connections in the cables that run to the starter and the Earth straps. Worked for me
Thank you, Tried that, turned the key.. 'click'
Could be a number of things, If your getting a click it means your getting power to the solenoid but I would double check all connections positive and negative. on the batteries and the starter. Is it auto or manual.. Im sure someone with a bigger brain than mine will be a long soon.
Thank you

Thank you, Tried that, turned the key.. 'click'

Thank you
You can try checking fuses and relays.. but if your getting power to the starter you would assume they would be ok... It may sound daft but if its an auto make sure its definitely in P.... Or try the old fashion way of thumping the starter while someone turns the key

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depends on the click. If it is a light click then it could be just an internal relay. If there is a heavier clunk then the solenoid is pulling in.

Things to try before you waste any more money.

If it’s an Auto, make sure your gear selector is in N or P.( I know but I’ve been caught out by this one! :icon-rolleyes:)

1) bridge across from the small contact on your starter motor to battery + , if the starter spins the starter motor is ok.
If the starter spins the battery is also ok.

2) check any relays are seated properly, try and find which one clicks and swap it with an identical one.

3) look for any damage to wiring or poorly mated connectors both in the engine bay and to the gearbox if it’s an Auto.

4) remove and check all fuses are intact using a multimeter set to Ohms. Or find and remove the one for the interior light and touch each other one in turn into this fuse socket looking to see if the light comes on before returning it to where it came from.

5) check Earth straps are connected and not broken.

6) check any immoboliser

Finally only replace something you have proven to be faulty. Buy a cheap (£20-£30) multimeter and learn how to use it (Youtoob), it would have saved you replacing batteries and starter motor which clearly were not the cause of the fault. If somebody tells you it might be something, prove it first before changing it only if necessary.

You can try using a jump lead from the battery negative to the engine, if it works then the earth to the engine could be broken. Thats a quick easy check.
Can you check the battery voltage, if not try switching on the headlights and see how bright, if dim the batteries could be low on voltage, try starting with the lights still on and see if they go dim, I'd look again at the starter. You can bridge the starter terminals quickly to see if its working, but if your not sure what your doing I'd be careful, and make sure your not in gear!
I wouldn't think it would be gear position circuit as it seems you are getting the starter solenoid energise

Cheers

It does sound exactly my non start, checked cables and earths, checked batterys new starter and still only a click. Checked all the cables again and cleaned the connectors and it started.

When the OP stated in the first sentence its a manual car, I'm not sure tips for autos are much help, but then I'm not a mechanic ;) :tearsofjoy:

When the OP stated in the first sentence its a manual car, I'm not sure tips for autos are much help, but then I'm not a mechanic ;) :tearsofjoy:
Fair cop.

I must read the post I must read the post
I must read the post

Bad massa cable ... or bad connection of massa cable (grounding) You tried a jumper cable directly from the neg. battery to the engine or starter motor chassis ?

Hello, have you sorted out the problem? I got a similar issue. I have rebuilt the starter, changed the starter relay, still the car won't start. Mine is an automatic D4D.
It is interesting because if I disassemble the starter relay and manually push it, to engage, the car would start immediately...
After the first "forced" start, it would start each time until next day morning. It is related to temperature and first start :)

Hello, have you sorted out the problem? I got a similar issue. I have rebuilt the starter, changed the starter relay, still the car won't start. Mine is an automatic D4D.
It is interesting because if I disassemble the starter relay and manually push it, to engage, the car would start immediately...
After the first "forced" start, it would start each time until next day morning. It is related to temperature and first start :)
Hi, yes we got the problem sorted thank you. She starts at the flick of the key, first time, every time now :) After cleaning all points and checking earth strap and all connections several times over, changing batteries, starter motor, leads Etc Etc Got 2 auto electricians to look her over, to no avail.. I fitted some brand new batterie terminals that we found, to the brand new batteries and Presto! first time starter! Now to sort the Diff casing and she will be in tip top condition (for her age) . Good luck

See post No7 above.
In addition, to find a bad connection, test across any connection you suspect may be faulty on Volts and if the connection is good you will see zero Volts. If it’s bad you will see a voltage. You need to have a load switched on to do this.

I've had that with battery terminal clamps in the past, one other indication is that they get overly hot when cranking.

I've had that with battery terminal clamps in the past, one other indication is that they get overly hot when cranking.

I just knew it would be something so simple. Was the First thing we checked, cleaned, made sure of a good clean contact to the battery etc. The clamps and leads looked to be in good nik but the problem continued.. if only id found the new clamps sooner! :rolleyes: Thank you for everyone's help and advice, you've been great

Back