Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help please! 76 Series lost 2WD

BenH

Country Flag
england
Hello forum,

I am a complete newbie to the forum and relatively new to Land Cruisers. Please don't hold it against me but I've driven Defenders in previous years. I'm living in Russia at the moment and have been driving a 76 Series (HZJ76L-RKMNSV) built in 2011 for just over 6 months without any problems (truck only has 45,000 km). Great vehicle but I just pulled away from some stop lights and I lost all of 2WD. The truck pulled away fine but almost seemed to pop into neutral on the transfer case. The engine just rev'ed and I rolled to a stop in the middle of several lanes of traffic. My Defender would do this occasionally but could be fixed by knocking it back into gear on the transfer case. In the 76, however, I lost all power through the transmission and could only avoid the Russian rush hour by selecting 4 high. I drove home with no ill effects in 4 high - no transmission noises, no fluid losses.

Does anyone know what is going on? I am hoping it is some kind of selector issue. The transfer case control lever seems to engage into the H2 position but I get nothing just like the vehicle is in neutral. Hopefully I am doing something really stupid!

Really appreciate any insight the forum can provide. Cheers in advance,
Ben

Hi Ben and welcome.
Although I have no experience with a 76, it does sound to me to be a very similar problem to one a friend experienced on her Nissan Patrol. In that case we found a split bushing in the selector links, replaced it, problem solved. It does sound more like a linkage problem than a transfer box one.
No doubt there are members on here who can be much more helpful.
Regards,

Back