Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help please - tailgate stuck

Jacob100

Supporter
The tailgate on my ‘98 100 just packed up in Newcastle of all places.

Never had any issues with it. The remote locking works fine. No rust or damage. The key turns freely and the barrel clicks. Child lock and inside handle don’t do anything.

Couldn’t have happened at a worse time. Any ideas appreciated.

Long shot but if it's anything like the mech on the 80, just try moving the external release lever (under the tailgate lip) backwards. IE push it not pull it. I know that occasionally it doesn't go fully back and that stops it from resetting the release catch

Thank you Chris. No such luck. No movement at all in that direction. Will press on up to Scotland and try to get to the internal mechanism tomorrow.

Could be a rod dropped off in which case opening from inside by removing the door inner cover (door card) would probably be the only option if all else fails.

Could be a rod dropped off in which case opening from inside by removing the door inner cover (door card) would probably be the only option if all else fails.

Cheers Rich. It’s fully loaded for camping and it’s chucking it down up here so we may have to live with it until we get back home again...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Rich. It’s fully loaded for camping and it’s chucking it down up here so we may have to live with it until we get back home again...
How did I know this would be the case Jacob…?
The law of Sod knows no mercy. :(

Yes, and we’ll be able to squeeze ourselves and all the stuff through the back doors so it will just add to the cosy camper feel.

Back