Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help please with harsh knock / rattle 100 series

Mikeharris1992

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Someone please help

my 100 series has a really harsh rattle / knock from the front. Can feel it though the floor / pedals !

but then at random it won’t do it at all for a whole journey

Above 25mph, you hit a bump and the rattle start. Doesn’t change the faster you go, hit another bump it may stop or just for a millisecond then start up again.

I would describe it like the wheel / tyre rubbing on something, but there not

It’s had new anti roll bar drop links, there is no play in the roll bar mounts.

There is no play the wheel bearings.

very Slight inner rack joint play

very slight lift in b bottom ball joints

front diff bushes have very slight movement

please any help would be great or advice

Mike

Last edited:
Dry joints in the prop shafts try greasing up all movable parts a cheap fix if it works and check for excessive play check for movement on front diff mount and drive shafts if you have a split in front shaft boots the grease can escape and have dry cvs easy fix again few quids for boots if other members know anything else they will let you know

Yeh I’ve tried all that too

Took the prop off checked the joints and the slider all ok

Slight play in diff bushes but this noise is only harsh some of the time

Hi Mike, what mileage has the vehicle got? What are the shock /ahc ram mounts like?

325,000 miles !

It’s got peddars ahc delete suspension

Il check the shock mounts tomrrow, it’s like so thing is loose, but then it goes silent.

Like a rubbing noise, like a tyre rubbing something, doesn’t change pitch with speed, always the same noise, never louder or quieter !

Found it, near side front drive shaft spindle is worn, there must be a brass bush or something that support the rear section of the cv joint.

need to try and find a replacement

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So done that, and there is still a rattle, it’s like the undertrays are loose, I took them off and the rattle is still there, it’s coming from the front in the middle, really running out of ideas !

Do you have catalytic converters they can work loose inside. Just a thought

It’s literally like something is loose, I’m now wondering if it’s like a panel, or a worn body mount or something. Really really strange noise !

It’s literally like something is loose, I’m now wondering if it’s like a panel, or a worn body mount or something. Really really strange noise !
Sometimes almost impossible to find , I’m convinced my exhaust knocks sometimes but can’t find evidence is yours v8 or diesel

MikeHarris 1992 did you find the cause of the rattle, i have something similar. 4.2 diesel 100

Back