Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Sunny Suffolk. 80 Series 4.2 Manual

Nice pair of 80 's

Landy looks good too

John, it was lovely to meet you both. I'll thank you not to dwell on my injuries thank you. I am almost walking unaided now.
Well you are in the right place now that's for sure. Get to Lincomb or we'll terminate you membership. It's the law.
All you have to do it turn up. A Landcruiser guarantees entry. Quite a haul from Suffolk.

Chris

All gone pear shaped Chris! Eldest daughter turned up last night, which was lovely, even if it was a bit of a surprise.!!!
That along with, as mentioned, my lads 21st this weekend, I'd be lucky to manage half a day at Lincomb, if I was lucky!!
If it wasn't so far away from Suffolk, I'd do it anyway, because I could bloody do with a bit of time away! but it's just not feasible this time.
I will definitely make the next one, in the meantime, have a good weekend and thanks for the welcome.
Regards
John

Hi Chris,
Hope all's well...

Can I pick ya brain please...
Been a twat and tried to jump start my 80 via, what I now know is the wrong battery ( Mine didn't have the plastic battery cover with the warning printed on it.!!).
Anyway - can't seem to charge the batteries and even when there is a little bit of charge in them, the indicators flash constantly (at a fast rate) and if I try to start it does the usual clicking as though there's not enough juice to start it.

Could be that I've just #*%^'d the batteries! - don't know, but before I get an auto electrician in, just wondered whether you'd heard of any other issues/problems, jump starting off the wrong battery could normally cause?
'Needless to say' - I will be buying the plastic battery cover.!!

Cheers
John

Hmm, might need the 'Hive Brain' on this one. If you jump on the wrong battery, effectively you are getting a momentary burst of 24 volts. I would say that this is more hazardous for the donor vehicle than the recipient. Typically this could entails something like a loud bang, a flash and acid raining down on you followed my molten lead.

Indicators flashing at speed sounds like an alarm problem really. If it were your indicators or hazards they'd either not flash at all or flash at a normal rate. So it could be that you have upset the fairies that live in the alarm ecu.

The fact that you had to jump it means that there was something wrong with the batteries in the first place. Not least them being flat? How are you charging them? Battery damage is typically either catesprophic - or poor long term charging. You wouldn't usually get instant battery damage as such I don't think. So they are either officially screwed anyway or you aren't charging them correctly. I would start by taking all the connections off and charge each battery in turn with a high capacity charger - 10 amps or so. You cannot stuff charge into a dead batter with a trickle charger - say 4 amps. It won't work.

I think we need a process of elimination here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with you on this Chris. It sounds plausible one battery may have gone down and dragged the other down with it and be resisting charge as it's just too flat. As for jump starting on the wrong battery, it all depends where the leads were connected. If across the battery terminals, this would be fine. Less safe than the correct battery in as much as there's 24 possible volts on adjacent metalwork but other than that not a problem to either truck. The problems come when doing the right thing and connecting the last of the four jump lead clamps to somewhere remote from the battery, I.e the block for instance (which is advised to stop you igniting any hydrogen that may be floating around the battery with the spark at final connection). All would be well in this case until you went to start the cruiser. Not where I'd want to be and likely to be expensive and time consuming to fix especially for the donor vehicle if it had an ECU!!

You may well be in the clear John.

Last edited:
Yes terminal to terminal shouldn't really be an issue - which is what it sounds like you did. It's connecting the positive of one battery and the negative of the OTHER battery that's going to get you in trouble.

One of the issues with the twin battery set up on either the 12 volt or 24 volt set up is that you essentially have one large battery and any poorly parts bring down the whole system. It's largely why I went to a 12v starter.

It's connecting the positive of one battery and the negative of the OTHER battery that's going to get you in trouble.

Even then it's 50/50 as to how much damage you do. One way ends up dead short circuit on the donor car, the other puts the donor car's 12v system across a possible 24v depending on the state of the cruiser's batteries.

You don't want to be doing either!

Last edited:
I agree absolutely with the physics of that - but in the real world, you are effectively dealing with two flat batteries. Not two fully charged raring to go batteries. You could connect terminal to terminal and run the donor vehicle putting charge into one battery, move the croc clips and put some into the other. Then disconnect and start the car. 24v only exists if you series the batteries with the jump leads OR turn the key. If one battery was duff but the other one OK (as is so often the case) the right thing is NOT to connect to the pass battery and turn the key. We know that, but if done innocently, my point is that you'll probably survive. What I am wondering is, if the DS battery is OK and the Pass battery duff, when you connect to the DS battery to jump it, just how effective is that? Genuine question. All you are doing is putting MORE 12v into the good battery. You aren't generating 24v are you. Will it start? I would be tempted to jump some feed into the Pass battery just as if I were mimicking the alternator, then disconnect and turn the key.

No?

What I am wondering is, if the DS battery is OK and the Pass battery duff, when you connect to the DS battery to jump it, just how effective is that? Genuine question. All you are doing is putting MORE 12v into the good battery. You aren't generating 24v are you. Will it start? I would be tempted to jump some feed into the Pass battery just as if I were mimicking the alternator, then disconnect and turn the key.

No?

I was in that exact position in France a couple of years ago, tried jumping on the DS battery from a Defender and it wouldn't start, we called a recovery service who tried his portable power pack on DS battery, no go, so he tried it on PS battery although I said it should only be jumped from the other one and the truck started (Which was how we found out the PS one was toast) no damage seemed to have been done to my 80 and a new battery was obtained from a French Halfords sort of place not the right size but it sufficed 'til I got back to the UK.

If I hadn't gone with the single battery start set up then I would have gone with Optimas in the front. They have a central battery post and can fit in either battery tray. Easy enough to whip out and swap round and jump start safely.

I agree with all of the above. The thing is to disconnect the batteries as Chris has said and charge them individually. Or bridging out the duff battery with a good one is also a good plan. However with two duff batteries still connected, jumper cable to the DS battery and leaving the donor vehicle connected to pump charge into the pair will then give enough generally to start if left long enough. It all depends on the state of the batteries and if any faults exist as to what will work best.

I think we are all on the same page here.

I agree with all of the above. The thing is to disconnect the batteries as Chris has said and charge them individually. Or bridging out the duff battery with a good one is also a good plan. However with two duff batteries still connected, jumper cable to the DS battery and leaving the donor vehicle connected to pump charge into the pair will then give enough generally to start if left long enough. It all depends on the state of the batteries and if any faults exist as to what will work best.

I think we are all on the same page here.

Guys thank you ALL very much for your input - Now looking to see if I can resolve the issues.
Many thanks
John

Guys thank you ALL very much for your input - Now looking to see if I can resolve the issues.
Many thanks
John

You're welcome. Don't forget to let us know how you get on. I battled failing batteries a couple of years ago. Turned out to be failed batteries…Unipart replaced them under 3yr warranty after testing them.

Hope it's still sunny in Suffolk!! [emoji4]

Welcome John! Pics as soon as you can please :)

Well..!!! It's taken a while, but kitted out inside now; Rear Bulkhead & Racked, Dual Leisure Charging, Inverter etc.. Minus 40 Fridge/Freezer. Outside; King Springs, Koni Raid Shocks, 35" BFG ATs on Steels. Lots & Lots still to do.... Not done the bumpers or under body protection yet, along with many other plans!!! But I'm getting there...... slowly.!!
20160630_073624.jpg

Welcome, looking forward to the pics.

Well..!!! It's taken a while, but kitted out inside now; Rear Bulkhead & Racked, Dual Leisure Charging, Inverter etc.. Minus 40 Fridge/Freezer. Outside; King Springs, Koni Raid Shocks, 35" BFG ATs on Steels. Lots & Lots still to do.... Not done the bumpers or under body protection yet, along with many other plans!!! But I'm getting there...... slowly.!!View attachment 105341

Back