Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from the Midlands (uk)

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
hi all

Picked up a 100series between Xmas and new year to convert for an overland trip.

4.2 d Auto
135k miles

Already have a few issues to resolve and fixed a few already. Hoping a hive mind here can help.
Cheers

Hi HMG and Welcome. You’ve come to the right place for friendly help and advice. Now, let’s have some photos of your new pride and joy. :)

Best wishes
Rich

Also what you planning, see if it gives me any ideas :)

Welcome aboard, I'll second the call for photos... :thumbup:

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yep, let us have some photos and tell us what your plans are.

N

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok, I will put some pics up this week.

Current plan. Strip out mid and rear seats, install power and water systems and rear drawers. Same level deck front to rear for harsh weather sleeping

Uprack roof rack (if tuff-trek ever bother to answer my calls and emails) roof tent with canopy, removal of Auto suspension 45mm lift. Steel wheels, front n rear bumpers winch kit. Accessory lighting rescue kit jack etc.....

A couple of local test trips Scotland, wales then drive south. Cross over at Gibraltar and head west. Not fully got route itinerary yet.

Ok, I will put some pics up this week.

Current plan. Strip out mid and rear seats, install power and water systems and rear drawers. Same level deck front to rear for harsh weather sleeping

Uprack roof rack (if tuff-trek ever bother to answer my calls and emails) roof tent with canopy, removal of Auto suspension 45mm lift. Steel wheels, front n rear bumpers winch kit. Accessory lighting rescue kit jack etc.....

A couple of local test trips Scotland, wales then drive south. Cross over at Gibraltar and head west. Not fully got route itinerary yet.
Crikey you have got a plan haven’t you. :lol: :thumbup:Nice one, looking forward to the pics of the build and the trip. :clap:

ay up.
where abouts in the midlands?

Welcome along! Sounds like a great start.

But steel wheels? Very heavy. Please don't tell us that you've been seduced by the old myth about hammering steel wheels back into shape because alloys break ....

Tuff Trek are nice people, but so are Patriot. They'll do you a fantastic rack. Roof tent and internal sleeping platform? Inside sleeping for harsh weather. A decent rooftent should be fine for that. Especially a hardshell like a James Baroud or Maggy.

Looking forward to reading more of your build. We do like a good build thread on here.

Glad you've found this place, lots of fantastic advice coming your way :) Very much looking forward to what you do with your 100.

Michael

Welcome HMG. Good to have another 100 project on here. What’s your timeframe for all this?

ay up.
where abouts in the midlands?

From Leicestershire.

Welcome along! Sounds like a great start.

But steel wheels? Very heavy. Please don't tell us that you've been seduced by the old myth about hammering steel wheels back into shape because alloys break ....

Tuff Trek are nice people, but so are Patriot.

Well partially, led to believe steel are stronger and can be repaired and as the weight is unsprung weight, keen to hear differing opinions on this. I want to fit a wider and more AT tyre than currently fitted. Saw some wider steel rims on eBay which would also remove the need for spacers..... but I think this can be a separate post.

Not heard of patriot so will give them a google bash. Cheers

It's unsprung sure, but you still have to spin them up and you have to slow them with the brakes. Genuine Toyota alloys are very high quality. Yes you can repair steel wheels in the field but in all my travels the only wheels I have seen that needed repair were in fact steel. It would be easier, lighter and cheaper to simply sling a spare plain rim on the roof.

With all the off roading activities we've done as a club over the years, wheel damage is something that almost unheard of. Decent tyres will protect the rims. Patriot are in Bedfordshire.

It's unsprung sure, but you still have to spin them up and you have to slow them with the brakes. Genuine Toyota alloys are very high quality. Yes you can repair steel wheels in the field but in all my travels the only wheels I have seen that needed repair were in fact steel. It would be easier, lighter and cheaper to simply sling a spare plain rim on the roof.

With all the off roading activities we've done as a club over the years, wheel damage is something that almost unheard of. Decent tyres will protect the rims. Patriot are in Bedfordshire.

My sentiments entirely. By the time you've carted half a blacksmiths shop round to straighten a steel wheel ( just in case) you could carry 4 spare alloys. BTW James S of here had 2 alloys crack on his last trip abroad but thats not to say steels wouldn't have given up in the same way given the punishment they took.

There's also quite a variance between the weight of steels.

My GX HZJ80 had genuine Toyota steels on when I had it and they were very heavy compared with the aftermarket steels I replaced them with.

Genuine 80 steels weigh an incredible 20kg, 80 alloys weigh 9.6 kg . I'm not sure how much after market steels weigh I'm afraid but I guess they vary from maker to maker and size to size.

Worth knowing that the majority of after market steels are very very thin and lightwieght. You can see them flex when you tighten them up. I'd rather have a genuine alloy than an aftermarket steel. But genuine steels are much stronger but then as Andy says, weigh 20kg.

hi all

Picked up a 100series between Xmas and new year to convert for an overland trip.

4.2 d Auto
135k miles

Already have a few issues to resolve and fixed a few already. Hoping a hive mind here can help.
Cheers
Hi and welcome's I'm in Leicestershire as well

Back