Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hi y'all from sunny (makes a change) Belfast

aboynamedsioux

I've recently acquired an LJ78 against the occasional negative comment on some forums, but I had 'the want' and when that happens then nothing else matters. She's generally in very good order and only has 100K on the clock, but I'm in the market for a towbar/hitch as there's currently a towing eye as can be seen in the first photo, but I'd like something similar to the other image. I only intend pulling a motorbike trailer so don't plan on hauling any big loads. Suggestions or comments from any of you pros would be much appreciated, cheers

20180429_203557.jpg landcruiser tow bar.jpg

Welcome aboard Sioux :thumbup:.

I’m well out-of-date on rules and Regis in this regard, but i would be inclined to make a tour of some vehicle scrapyards and see if you can pick up a tow-ball and hitch bracket similar to the one in the second photo.

Technically, I think you need a bespoke manufactured and plated towing bar fitment to mount it on, but personally, I’d be tempted to mount it on the 4 bolting points provided on your truck, as you only intend a single bike type unbraked trailer.

If you go this way, check the mounting points on the truck for rust, sometimes the rear cross-member can be badly rotted, even though yours looks good in the photo.

thanks for the message Clive, I had been looking around ebay for a used example as you've suggested and also talked to Watlings Engineering who can only supply a full towbar, but just thought the bolt-on option would be neater and more cost effective, but I'll keep on hunting, thanks again

Hi Clive, further to my original post I took your advice and have managed to source a used towing hitch, but I've got a pal who fanices himself as a bit of a mechanic who has suggested that a full towbar would be needed because attaching anything to the rear 'bumper' could be an issue if involved in an accident whilst towing. I was wondering if you'd have any idea whether this should be a concern, cheers, Ian.

Back