Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi

Allan M

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,
I've been driving a SWB Isuzu Bighorn for about 5 years. I also had a Ford Galaxy for when I needed more space. I decided to get rid of both cars and get something bigger. Always wanted a Landcruiser but didn't think I could ever afford one. This one came up at the right time at the right price. 180k on the clock so just run in. Bodywork is rust free and just has a few small dents. Chassis is rust free. I knew it needed some of the bushes replaced and there were a few oil leaks, but the price was right.
Now the bad bits. Oil leaks turned out to be power steering pump, transfer box output shaft and a rear half shaft seal. Had these done along with new rear shocks as they were starting to leak. Also driver side rear brake caliper which had seized, this resulted in new rear disks to go with a full set of pads.

A few weeks ago she started to loose power briefly. Advised it was probably the SCV's. It was getting more and more frequent so bit the bullet and ordered replacements. Today was the day to have a go at changing them.
Yes it is a bit fiddly, and the fixing bolts are very short, but after removing the airbox access isn't too bad. It took 1 1/4 hrs start to finish. Out for a test run and the difference is amazing. Smoother with a much cleaner throttle response and what feels like lots more power.

So that's the story so far.

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the club. Glad the SCVs turned out to be your problem. You’ve got a good one there, the bits you have done are mostly wear and tear (for a neglected cruiser as many are). A rust free 120 is a rare beast unfortunately as many are like a pier underneath. Might be worth a chat with Rob at Krown Uk in Dudley with a view to getting it Krown treated to keep it that way.

Post up some pics when you can.

Good to see you at Simex.

If you can get away, the meet ups at Lincomb, Stratford and Silverstone area are worth a visit. Listed under club functions.

Good to have you aboard. :)

Best wishes
Rich

Last edited:
Back