Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Higgys 80 restor/project

That's some handy bendy work there Mike.. Impressive. The Ones I need to make up are the Two from the split to each rear wheel So lots of Bendy work along that rear axle..... No doubt there will be more as I make my way along.....

Another quick update, It was too bloody cold to be outside so I thought id tackle the broken and cracked front grill. So I cut some 5mm threaded bar (10 bits) and inserted them in the Vertical groove on the reverse side and fibre glassed them in.. Then clamped it all together.. it certainly made it a lot stiffer. And brought it all back to some kind of shape.. Il let it harden over night and chuck some paint at it Tomorrow... il let you know how it turned out.. Finally got the last locking wheel nut off, so was able to get the last spring and shock off ready for some attention and fresh paint...
DSCF9579.JPG
DSCF9580.JPG DSCF9581.JPG DSCF9582.JPG DSCF9583.JPG DSCF9584.JPG DSCF9585.JPG Sorry about the Blurry pics

Well i thought i was being clever this morning, and ended up causing my self a load of grief.. Decided to remove rear Axle locker Coz its shagged basically.. and something has dropped inside the axle tube,.I think my mistake was not having the drive shaft in the axle when i removed the diff lock.. When i look down the axle tube where the drive shaft was. It looks like some kind of sleeve or bush laying on its side, The wrong way round. If that makes sense. Definitely a strip down to get to it.... Bollox My own stupid fault

You might get it out with a telescope magnet. Mine is nearly a metre long and the magnet the size of a pound coin. I can get it to stick horizontally fully extended to a metal surface. very strong.

You might get it out with a telescope magnet. Mine is nearly a metre long and the magnet the size of a pound coin. I can get it to stick horizontally fully extended to a metal surface. very strong.
Wish it was that simple Frank.. No way it can come out.. I think its a strip down job.. Not even sure what it is thats stuck down there...

Bugger :doh:

@Chris or @karl webster may have some suggestions, or at least an insight into what’s dropped off.

I take it that whatever it is, it’s dropped into the bottom of the diff banjo?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It sounds like the locking fork. It should push back up. Or is it detached?

What ever it is its stopping the drivers side shaft from going back in. By about 2".. And where the diff locker shaft slides into the hole (behind the plate where ball bearing is, I assume the contact for dash indicator light). That wont line up so i cant get the locker shaft back through the hole .. Its all gone tits up.Il get wheel bearings /Hub assembly off today and try and retrieve what ever it is.. I wasnt planning on refitting the rear locker so i hope it does'nt have to go back in... If Iv got time...

Well, Dropped the axle off today trying to figure out whats stuck in there.. The Fork seems to be intact .. To me it looks like some kind of sleeve/ bearing.. could this have dropped off from somewhere when i took the drive shaft out... Its just laid on its side half way down the tube.. No way to get it out.. Im starting to think a replacement axle would be the best option.. I dont mind stripping it down its just all the Truing up and shimming etc when rebuilding.. Get it wrong and its game over anyway.... I even thought of cutting a hole in the bottom of the axle to retrieve what evers in there , Then weld it up... Someone Talk me out of it:lol:... Anyone got an idea of price for a good second hand Axle?

If you just pull the diff out as one there's nothing to set up just 're fit it as you took it out? An axle with decent diff In would be a small fortune at a guess

Well, Dropped the axle off today trying to figure out whats stuck in there.. The Fork seems to be intact .. To me it looks like some kind of sleeve/ bearing.. could this have dropped off from somewhere when i took the drive shaft out... Its just laid on its side half way down the tube.. No way to get it out.. Im starting to think a replacement axle would be the best option.. I dont mind stripping it down its just all the Truing up and shimming etc when rebuilding.. Get it wrong and its game over anyway.... I even thought of cutting a hole in the bottom of the axle to retrieve what evers in there , Then weld it up... Someone Talk me out of it:lol:... Anyone got an idea of price for a good second hand Axle?
that will be the dog gear. its held inside the fork and the half shaft slides inside it. when the rear locker engages the fork slides it towards the diff engaging in five notches iirc. hey presto your locked and loaded..
Its good to lock the actuator when removing the half shaft so it doesn't drop. its been a while since ive been in there so your testing my poor memory.
I have plenty of rear axles but you wont need one. in removing the diff you wont have to do any adjustments or shimming.

Bring it up with you when you come for the wheels and backplates and I'll sort it for you. If push comes to shove you can go home with a complete axle if you need to.

Thanks for the Help.. Il start pulling it apart soon and see how it Goes..If it all goes to hell Il drop it off with You Andy... :lol: I must get a decent Manual.. Im a Bugger for undoing things, without thinking of the outcome.. Mmm!' I wonder what will happen if i take this Off'.:angry-screaming:Doh!

DSCF9587.JPG
DSCF9588.JPG
DSCF9589.JPG
DSCF9590.JPG
DSCF9591.JPG
DSCF9592.JPG
Just a few pics of todays progress.. I thought while iv got the Axle off il just keep going..So a few more bits have come off.. I think this is going to end up like Haydens 60 Project.. A complete strip down..:thumbup:.… Ah well why not

Last edited:
It's really good to get the rear axle off, as now you can get to many more rusty areas. Bar taking the body off it's the best approach. This is how I did it with my 81 a good few years ago. The only thing is that with just removing the rear axle is that you can't get a good clean down on the top of the chassis and new coat of paint etc.

Good luck with the rear axle! Progress is progress. Good work man! :thumbup:

It's really good to get the rear axle off, as now you can get to many more rusty areas. Bar taking the body off it's the best approach. This is how I did it with my 81 a good few years ago. The only thing is that with just removing the rear axle is that you can't get a good clean down on the top of the chassis and new coat of paint etc.

Good luck with the rear axle! Progress is progress. Good work man! :thumbup:
Man Flu stopped play yesterday.. I was glad to get those Tie Rods off . sick of Banging me head on them.. And Yes it does Free up a load more space..I have Toyed with the Idea of a full body removal. But i must remember im on my own.. No one to help with anything...Ah! Well...... Am i right in thinking that once iv retrieved the bits from inside the Axle They Can be shelved Coz the rear locker will not be going back on.... Thanks

There is a large washer inside each end of the axle tube. Sometimes they get pushed and drop inside. Is it a tube or washer?

There is a large washer inside each end of the axle tube. Sometimes they get pushed and drop inside. Is it a tube or washer?
Dont know until i get inside Frank. The locker fork has dropped inside. and something else is in there... Can just see it.. Looks like some kind of bush /sleeve.. Dont know to be honest.. Till I pull it apart.. Like CG says it probably the Dog gear that sits inside the Fork...:think:

Last edited:
Managed to get a bit more done this morning... Dropped the fuel tank so i can give it the once over and get to re-new brake pipes that run down the chassis behind the tank... Surprised to find the Tank and bash plate are one unit.... Freed up lots more space to get in and make good and throw some paint about..

DSCF9611.JPG DSCF9613.JPG DSCF9614.JPG

There are a couple more photos but they wont upload,... The rear seats wont be going back in. So if anyone wants 'em' Free to collect.. There are also the third row seats...No rips just usual marks for 30yr old.... Shame to skip em... But im running out of room

Back