Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

15 Dec 1974
New speed limit to curb fuel use

British drivers must adhere to reduced speed limits from midnight tonight as the government tries to save fuel.
Speed limits on motorways will remain 70mph (112kph), but on dual carriageways they will become 60mph (96kph), and on all other roads 50mph (80kph).
Motorists could previously drive up to a limit of 70mph.
Anyone breaking the new restrictions will be reported, though not necessarily summoned.
The maximum penalty for speeding has been doubled to £100.
Publicity campaign
Police patrols in unmarked cars will be looking for drivers not observing the new restrictions and will also be using speed traps.
A major publicity campaign informing drivers of the new restrictions was launched last week and so road signs will not be changed.
Police expect the new speed restrictions to lead to a rise in the number of speeding offences but a fall in the number of road accidents.
The measures have been introduced indefinitely by Energy Secretary, Eric Varley, as part of a 12-point package of energy conservation measures aimed at saving £700m in imports annually.
Oil prices fluctuate
The Ministry of Transport said even a speed reduction of 5mph would save about £10m a year in fuel costs.
Mr Varley unveiled the package six days ago to the House of Commons as the landed price of imported oil is now five times higher than a year ago.
Prices rose after the Middle East oil embargo during the Arab-Israeli war last year.
The plan includes restrictions on heating levels and on the use of electricity for outdoor display and advertising.
There will also be loans to industry for energy-saving investment and a doubling of the standards of thermal insulation for new homes.
The strict controls on energy consumption will form the British way of life for the foreseeable future, he said.
Last November petrol ration coupons were introduced and in February 1972 a three-day working week was imposed on British industry to conserve power supplies due to the coal miners' strike.

15 Dec 1906
The opening of the Piccadilly tube line on London's Underground. It was the longest underground line at the time, running from Finsbury Park to Hammersmith.

Robin Hood Robin riding through the glen :lol:
What about some 'erbert shooting arrows into it :icon-biggrin:

15 Dec 1982
Reputed to be Robin Hood's tree, the 'Major Oak' in Sherwood Forest, was fitted with a fire alarm.

15 Dec 1942
The birth, in Tottenham, of Dave Clark, English musician with 'The Dave Clark Five'. Their single 'Glad All Over' knocked The Beatles' 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' off the top of the UK singles charts in January 1964. They had 12 Top 40 UK hits between 1964 and 1967 and disbanded in late 1970. I still have their 1978 vinyl LP (see
bb_s.gif
picture). In 2008, marking the 50th anniversary of the founding of the band, The Dave Clark Five was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, located on the shore of Lake Erie in the United States.

On this day 16 December 2017, the Romanian King Mihai I (Michael I) was laid to rest (well he will be in an hour or so).

Ceremonies have been going on all day, even Prince Charles attended, they were cousins.

There’s a potted history of his reign here for anyone remotely interested...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
16 Dec 1773
Boston tea party incident - Sons of Liberty protesters throw tea shipments into Boston harbour in protest against British imposed Tea Act

Another turning point in our history

16 Dec 1689
English Parliament passes Bill of Rights establishing limits on crown powers and requirement for regular elections

Could do with him in Oz right now :disappointed:

1882 Sir Jack Hobbs, renowned cricketer and the first of his sport to be knighted, was born. He played for Surrey from 1905 to 1934 and for England in 61 Test matches from 1908 to 1930. Hobbs is widely regarded as cricket's greatest-ever opening batsman and holds world records in first-class cricket for scoring the most runs and the most centuries.

So who was a Cub and or Scout ( me both)

1916, A public display of Baden Powell's new book 'The Wolf Cub's Handbook' was held at Caxton Hall, Westminster, nine years after the foundation of his Boy Scouts Association.

16 Dec 1944
The Battle of the Bulge began in the Ardennes. By 21st January, the Germans had been pushed back to their original line, having lost some 120,000 men in the offensive

On this day 16 December 2017, the Romanian King Mihai I (Michael I) was laid to rest (well he will be in an hour or so).

Ceremonies have been going on all day, even Prince Charles attended, they were cousins.

There’s a potted history of his reign here for anyone remotely interested...
I was in hospital with a bloke name of carol Hoff.I reckoned he was a cross between the Rumanian King Carol and the Hoff league player who played for Queensland and Australia

On December 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright made four brief flights at Kitty Hawk with their first powered aircraft. The Wright brothers had invented the first successful airplane.

First flight.jpg

Didn't realise you had a Monarchy over there Clive

Every days a School day!!

We don't any more, he was the last! Technically, his eldest daughter is now entitled to be Queen, but I don't think she'll be crowned...

17 Dec 1778
The birth, in Penzance, of Sir Humphrey Davy, English inventor of the safety lamp for miners which allowed miners to work safely in the presence of flammable gases. Davy refused to patent the lamp, and its invention led to him being awarded the Rumford medal in 1816. The medal has been awarded every alternate year since 1800 by the Royal Society for outstandingly important discoveries by a scientist working in Europe.

Good timing, right in time for the Christmas rush :lol:

17 Dec 1843
A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, was published

Top hole ol boy, What! TAXI

17 Dec 1849
Thomas and William Bowler, felt hat makers, sold their first 'bowler' to William Coke, which he purchased at James Lock & Co. in London.

:icon-cry::icon-cry::icon-cry::icon-cry:

17 Dec 1925
The death of Albert Neilson Hornby (A. N. Hornby), one of the best known sportsmen in England during the 19th century. Hornby was the first of only two men to captain the country at both rugby and cricket. He is also remembered as the England cricket captain whose side lost the Test match at home against the Australians in 1882 which gave rise to the Ashes (Quote: - English cricket has died, and the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.) He is buried in Acton churchyard in Cheshire (see
bb_s.gif
picture)

On this day

1984 UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher signs an agreement to return the colony of Hong Kong to China in 1997.

Wonder if they had their Jacobs Crackers ready :)
24 Dec 1968
The First Astronauts orbit the Moon
The Apollo 8 spacecraft and its crew of three astronauts become the first manned space mission to orbit the Moon

Back