Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

This iconic picture of St Paul's Cathedral standing, undamaged among the smoke was taken on this day in 1940.

26165642_1978803135726766_3384847704551230199_n.jpg

Nothing changes, and down here there wasn't masses of it

29 Dec 2000:
Freezing Britain grinds to a halt
A blanket of snow descends on the country as Arctic conditions disrupt travel.

29 Dec 1170
Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury is assassinated inside Canterbury Cathedral by followers of King Henry II; subsequently martryed

Very useful at this moment I think :icon-biggrin:

29 Dec 1766
Charles Macintosh, Scottish chemist and inventor of waterproof clothing (i.e. the Macintosh or simply Mac), was born, in Glasgow. For his various chemical discoveries he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1823.

29 Dec 1860
HMS Warrior, Britain's first seagoing iron-clad warship, was launched. She froze to the slipway when she was launched during London's coldest winter for 50 years and six tugs were required to haul her into the river. In later years Warrior was saved from being scrapped by the efforts of the Maritime Trust. The restoration took 8 years. Today, the ship is used as a venue for special events, and can be privately hired as a wedding venue.

Remember getting the Bluebird model out of the cereal packet, wish I had kept those models

31 Dec 1964
Campbell speeds to double record
Donald Campbell breaks the world water speed record, the only man to break both land and water speed records in the same year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:occasion-balloons::obscene-drinkingbe::occasion-balloons::obscene-drinkingbe:
31 Dec 1999
UK prepares to celebrate millennium
Britain gears up to join a global party with a spectacular array of revelries to welcome in the third millennium

Can't remember what's supposed to happen on a Blue Moon..........sex? :occasion-balloons::occasion-balloons::lol::lol::lol:

31 Dec 2009
Both a Blue Moon and a Lunar Eclipse occur

Did he think his brew was going to very popular by any chance :obscene-drinkingbe::obscene-drinkingbe::obscene-drinkingbe::lol::lol:

31 Dec 1759
Arthur Guinness signs a 9000 year lease at £45 per annum and starts brewing Guinness at the St. James's Gate Brewery, Dublin. Ten years later Guinness exported his ale for the first time, when six and a half barrels were shipped to Britain

Reactions: Pat
Hats of to this man, balls of steel, a true boys own hero

31 Dec 1948
Malcolm Campbell, British racing driver, died, after a series of strokes. He was one of the few land speed record holders of his era to die of natural causes. Campbell broke nine land speed records between 1924 and 1935. He set his final land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah on 3rd September 1935, becoming the first person to drive an automobile at more than 300mph.

Remember I could buy 4 chews for 1d, 2 for 1/2d, " eee wen I wer a lad" :lol::lol:
31 Dec 1960
The British coin, the farthing, in use in Britain since the 13th Century, ceased to be legal tender at midnight.

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:
31 Dec 2014
Neil Brittlebank (from Redditch) and Kevin Beresford (from East Ardsley in Yorkshire) won the dubious honour of being two of the dullest men of the year, as awarded by the Dull Men's Club. Mr Beresford produces books and calendars about roundabouts, while Mr Brittlebank, collects bricks.

January 1st 1981 Greece is 10th country to join European Economic Community

:occasion-balloons::obscene-drinkingbe::occasion-balloons::obscene-drinkingbe:
31 Dec 1999
UK prepares to celebrate millennium
Britain gears up to join a global party with a spectacular array of revelries to welcome in the third millennium
The third millennium didn't actually start until 1st January 2001.
The start of the 1st millennium was at zero so the second YEAR started at o1, same with milleniums.

Well, I never knew that!!

2 Jan 1788
clear.gif

Named after King George II, Georgia becomes the fourth state of the U.S.A.

England swings like a pendulum do, bobbys on bicycle's 2x2

2 Jan 1938
clear.gif

David Bailey, English photographer, was born. Along with photographers Terence Donovan and Brian Duffy, he captured and helped create the 'Swinging London' of the 1960s.

She was a BIG girl :lol:

2 Jan 1982
clear.gif

Erica Rowe became the first sports 'streaker' when she ran across the Twickenham ground at the England v Australia rugby match waving her bra in the air. She was arrested, with policemen covering her 40" breasts with their woefully undersized helmets.

Reactions: Pat
Today 3rd January would have been John Thaw’s 76th birthday. Gone but never forgotten

I had one, Morris Minot Traveller with the wood round the outside, great little motor, would love to still have it
I always thought Sir Alec was an Italian

3 Jan 1961
clear.gif

The production of the millionth Morris Minor, designed by the Greek born Sir Alec Issigonis. He considered the Morris Minor to be a vehicle that combined many of the luxuries and conveniences of a good motor car, but at a price suitable for the working classes. (see
bb_s.gif
picture of a 1969 Morris Minor van at Hull's Streetlife Museum).

I had one, Morris Minot Traveller with the wood round the outside, great little motor, would love to still have it
I always thought Sir Alec was an Italian

3 Jan 1961View attachment 138858
The production of the millionth Morris Minor, designed by the Greek born Sir Alec Issigonis. He considered the Morris Minor to be a vehicle that combined many of the luxuries and conveniences of a good motor car, but at a price suitable for the working classes. (see View attachment 138859 picture of a 1969 Morris Minor van at Hull's Streetlife Museum).
I've had five, two convertables, a two door, a four door and my last one was a Traveller. Great little cars.

Back