1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Historic moments

Chas Oct 14, 2017

1. Brian S

Brian S Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    12 Jan 1895
    The National Trust was founded by three Victorian philanthropists - Miss Octavia Hill, Sir Robert Hunter and Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley. Octavia Hill was concerned about the poor availability of open spaces for poor people. She campaigned against development on existing suburban woodlands, and helped to save London's Hampstead Heath and Parliament Hill Fields from being built on. The National Trust is now the largest membership organisation in the United Kingdom, and one of the largest UK charities by both income and assets. Its aim is to preserve places of historic interest or natural beauty for the enjoyment of the British public. Its stately homes such as this one at Lyme Park (see bb_s.gif picture) are well know, but the National Trust also owns vast tracts of countryside (see bb_s.gif picture of Wast Water) and coastal areas including here - the Needles (see bb_s.gif picture).

2. Brian S

Map
    That is one hell of a feat, true heroes, on both counts

12 Jan 1899
    Unable to launch their lifeboat at Lynmouth (see bb_s.gif picture) because of heavy storms, the crew, horses and helpers dragged their 10 ton lifeboat Louisa and carriage, in the dark, the 15 miles overland to Porlock Weir. The 11 hour journey across Exmoor included a haul over Countisbury Hill (gradient 25% : 1 in 4) followed by descending another 1 in 4 hill down into Porlock where the corner of a househad to be demolished to gain access. Their rescue of the 18 crew from Forrest Hall was successful. The journey was re-enacted in daylight on 12th January 1999.

3. Brian S

Map
    "Enry's Ammer":violence-hammer:
    "Splash it on all over"

12 Jan 1959
    Henry Cooper defeated Brian London on points over 15 rounds, becoming British and European heavyweight boxing champion. Cooper was the first to win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award twice (in 1967 and 1970). He is the only British boxer to win three Lonsdale Belts outright and he was knighted in 2000.

Chas likes this.
  4. Brian S

Map
    Bloody Sat Navs :lol::lol: (before their time I know,:icon-biggrin:)

12 Jan 1982
    Mark Thatcher, son of the former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, went missing in the Sahara while taking part in the Paris-Dakar Rally. He was rescued two days later, and it turned out that he had lost his way. The incident provoked a tidal wave of jokes and cartoons making fun of his sense of direction.

Chas likes this.
  5. Brian S

Map
    Jeez that's a lot of people, and he's one lucky boy to be the only one to have survived

13 Jan 1842
    Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War is famous for being the only member of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 civilians to survive a massacre after the army's long retreat from Kabul. He safely reached the British sentry post at Jalalabad, Afghanistan 'On This Day'. The episode was made the subject of a famous painting by the Victorian artist Lady Butler, who portrayed an exhausted Dr. Brydon approaching the gates of the Jalalabad fort perched on his dying horse. The painting is titled Remnants of an Army.

6. Brian S

Map
    :lol::lol: "we'll see how it goes" jealous because they weren't signed up to them:icon-biggrin:

13 Jan 1964 Capital Records grudgingly released the first Beatles record, ‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand’, in the US to, as they said 'see how it goes’. It became their fastest selling single ever. Within only three weeks, a million copies had been sold.

7. Brian S

Map
    German Jet Fighter 1942 ? how come they didn't use it in The Battle of Britain ? Would of run rings round the Spitfire's and Hurricane's

13 Jan 1942
    First use of an aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 Jet fighter

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter