Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day in 1991 The UK's first astronaut, 27-year-old Helen Sharman from Sheffield, blasts into orbit.

On this day in 1991 The UK's first astronaut, 27-year-old Helen Sharman from Sheffield, blasts into orbit.
And hasn't she let us know about it ever since!

On this day in 1991: India's former prime minister, Rajiv Gandhi, is killed in a bomb attack in Tamil Nadu.

On this day in 1961 President John F Kennedy says the US will aim to get the first man on the Moon by the end of the decade.

On this day in 1961 President John F Kennedy says the US will aim to get the first man on the Moon by the end of the decade.

Can they try again, this time leaving Trump there?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On this day in 1953 New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Nepalese Sherpa Tenzing Norgay become the first climbers to reach the summit of Mount Everest.

Weren't they, is there some doubt?

Weren't they, is there some doubt?
Wasn’t it Mallory in 1924 and didn’t they find his body a few years ago with indications that he was on the way back.His climbing mate was Irvine who has not been found.

Wasn’t it Mallory in 1924 and didn’t they find his body a few years ago with indications that he was on the way back.His climbing mate was Irvine who has not been found.
Ah! I didn't know that. How did they figure whether he was going up or down?

“Mallory woz ere” at the summit was the give away i think...

Reactions: Pat
On this day in 1993 Two 10-year-old boys are charged with the abduction and murder of two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool.

On this day in 1963 Secretary of State for War John Profumo resigns, admitting he lied to Parliament about his relationship with a call girl

On this day in 1963 Secretary of State for War John Profumo resigns, admitting he lied to Parliament about his relationship with a call girl
He shouldn’t have got on a keeler after Ivanoff the Russian.

He shouldn’t have got on a keeler after Ivanoff the Russian.
Clive,out in the colonies we never got the full story,but is it true that the lady in question,in later life got a job in the railway workshops pulling off old buffers?

Clive,out in the colonies we never got the full story,but is it true that the lady in question,in later life got a job in the railway workshops pulling off old buffers?
You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment.

On this day in 1944 the D day landings started.
The Normandy landings were the landing operations on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 of the Allied invasion of Normandy in Operation Overlord during World War II. Codenamed Operation Neptune and often referred to as D-Day, it was the largest seaborne invasion in history.

One of my uncles was there, he was a naval officers bodyguard, to guard him all he had was a service revolver. There were bombs shells and bullets and all he had was a revolver?

Back