Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day in 1982 Up to 50 British servicemen die in an Argentine air attack on two supply ships - Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram - in the Falklands

ON THIS DATE (46 YEARS AGO)
June 6, 1972 – David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is released.

On this day in 1982 Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher announces a ceasefire between UK and Argentine forces on the Falkland Islands.

On this day in 1916 between 1 July and 18 November on both sides of the upper reaches of the River Somme in France. More than three million men fought in this battle and one million men were wounded or killed, making it one of the bloodiest battles in human history

On this day in 2001 Barry George is sentenced to life in prison for murdering TV presenter Jill Dando

On this day in 1916 between 1 July and 18 November on both sides of the upper reaches of the River Somme in France. More than three million men fought in this battle and one million men were wounded or killed, making it one of the bloodiest battles in human history
It was a trade war that should never have been fought.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It was all about colonialism

And nationalism, strategic alliances and the Haber process, which meant that explosives could be more readily manufactured, so Germany no longer had to rely on imports of nitrates, which would have been vulnerable to naval blockades. Plus the Kaiser didn't get on too well with the British and Russian royals (BBC Royal Cousins at War).

Last edited:
When my son asked me what caused WW1 my response was, 'well, it's complicated!!!'

So many reasons, most of them just feeble political posturing and bollocks.
So pointless, such a waste of life, and made WW2 inevitable as well

When my son asked me what caused WW1 my response was, 'well, it's complicated!!!'

So many reasons, most of them just feeble political posturing and bollocks.
So pointless, such a waste of life, and made WW2 inevitable as well
Make the politicians be the first in the field.

On this day in 1955 Convicted murderer Ruth Ellis is hanged at Holloway Prison, London - the last woman to be executed in England.

On this day in 2003 Dr David Kelly - the scientist at the centre of a row between the government and the BBC about the use of intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq War - is found dead

On this day in 1978 The birth of the world's first "test tube baby" - Louise Brown - is announced in Manchester.

On this day 2018 EU President Juncker gave USA President Trump oral sex :laughing-rolling:

On this day in 2003 Comedian and actor Bob Hope dies, two months after celebrating his 100th birthday.

On this day in 1966 England won the football World Cup

On this day in 1945 A US plane drops the first atomic bomb - nicknamed "Little Boy" - on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.

Back