Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hj 45 2h mods

Toy45

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys new here

Just picked up a 1980 hj 45 in aus, has the 2h 4speed manual in it, few mods i would like to do and all the help and info would be appreciated

1. Powersteering wat to use?
2. Install automatic transmission wat to use?
3. Turbo kit? Engine has been rebuilt.

Guys if u can help please get back to me cheers

Hi and welcome love the old 40s l have a fJ45 and fj40 with hj60 running gear in them and love them have a lot of fun with it from Tony.

Hi Toy45 and welcome, although I've only had 1 45 it had the 2H engine fitted with 4.1 diffs and the 5 speed box. In this guise it went very well and I didn't feel the need to add a turbo kit. However I have had several 60's with after market turbo kits and they do go very well indeed putting about 140 bhp out and giving the ability to climb all hills in top gear and cruise at 70 -80 mph all day. None of my turbo 60's ever suffered by being turbocharged and I would recommend it.
I would guess you have 4.11 diffs in yours, fit 3.7's out of a 60 if you keep the 4 speed and add the turbo.
If you want to go auto I guess your best bet is to buy an automatic 60 and transpose the stuff over, this will give you the power steering and front disc brakes too.

This was my 45 when I had it.

DSC00332.jpg

Hope this helps

Andy

Tha
Hi Toy45 and welcome, although I've only had 1 45 it had the 2H engine fitted with 4.1 diffs and the 5 speed box. In this guise it went very well and I didn't feel the need to add a turbo kit. However I have had several 60's with after market turbo kits and they do go very well indeed putting about 140 bhp out and giving the ability to climb all hills in top gear and cruise at 70 -80 mph all day. None of my turbo 60's ever suffered by being turbocharged and I would recommend it.
I would guess you have 4.11 diffs in yours, fit 3.7's out of a 60 if you keep the 4 speed and add the turbo.
If you want to go auto I guess your best bet is to buy an automatic 60 and transpose the stuff over, this will give you the power steering and front disc brakes too.

This was my 45 when I had it.

View attachment 101736

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks guys for the advice so your saying the 60 series stuff should fit in?

Hi Toy45,
A remarkable amount of the parts are interchangeable &/or marry up. Mr T, unlike many other manufacturers, seems to work on the principle that 'if it's not broke - don't fix it' improve it - yes.
You could use 60 or 70 power steering or if you wanted to keep the original set up a Corolla electric assist would work. If you have or intend to fit a PTO winch then the last option is (probably) the only option as both 60 & 70 series will require modified track rods.
I have no experience of turbo charging but, if I remember there was a thread on here where Iwan turbo charged a 60 series.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Ye
Hi Toy45,
A remarkable amount of the parts are interchangeable &/or marry up. Mr T, unlike many other manufacturers, seems to work on the principle that 'if it's not broke - don't fix it' improve it - yes.
You could use 60 or 70 power steering or if you wanted to keep the original set up a Corolla electric assist would work. If you have or intend to fit a PTO winch then the last option is (probably) the only option as both 60 & 70 series will require modified track rods.
I have no experience of turbo charging but, if I remember there was a thread on here where Iwan turbo charged a 60 series.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Thanks for replying
Still curious on an auto gearbox if anyone knows any information on that

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry mate, I have no experience with the auto box for a 2H but logically it should be a straight swop - crank end to transfer box. As you are in Oz it maybe worth contacting Chris at F'n'B.

Cheers

Sorry mate, I have no experience with the auto box for a 2H but logically it should be a straight swop - crank end to transfer box. As you are in Oz it maybe worth contacting Chris at F'n'B.

Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me roger. Im sure its been done before

F n b ? More info buddy

FNB contact details are in the Promoted Companies section of this forum. Good people.

Cheers

Back