Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ 60 .1984. HJ60RG-K .2H. Power Steering Pump

Abdul Raqeeb

Country Flag
india
Hello,
My power steering oil was leaking which I fixed by replacing a seal within and it worked fine when i had put power steering oil ,turned it on and gave it a bit of a wheel turning session,unfortunately the pump for the power steering quickly stopped working and it was no longer pumping oil into the power steering when idle.very minimal pumping when giving it gas .Am currently working on opening up the power steering pump and seeing whatsup. So I need help in sourcing a new reliable Power steering pump incase of worst case scenario .If uhve faced a similar scenario please help .thanks.

Going to ask a few obvious questions first:
Did you re-adjust the belt tensioner and re-tighten the lock nut? If not locked up the belt will instantly slacken - meaning no pump drive.
'A few turns' Did you go lock to lock with the wheels off the ground to bleed the system and therefore the pump? Sometimes they can take a bit of bleeding so it may be worth doing that before you tear it all apart.

Toyota do not have pre-1985 PS pumps and the later ones do not fit. Finding a good pre-owned one is the only option available, if you end up needing to replace it.

IMO it is worth getting the belt tension right (with a good non-shiny belt) and then properly bleeding the system with the wheels off the ground.

Regards,

Rodger

Going to ask a few obvious questions first:
Did you re-adjust the belt tensioner and re-tighten the lock nut? If not locked up the belt will instantly slacken - meaning no pump drive.
'A few turns' Did you go lock to lock with the wheels off the ground to bleed the system and therefore the pump? Sometimes they can take a bit of bleeding so it may be worth doing that before you tear it all apart.

Toyota do not have pre-1985 PS pumps and the later ones do not fit. Finding a good pre-owned one is the only option available, if you end up needing to replace it.

IMO it is worth getting the belt tension right (with a good non-shiny belt) and then properly bleeding the system with the wheels off the ground.

Regards,

Rodger
Well my mechanic did those things -_- so I assume he must have done it how it's done on every other car + he has experience in working on classic cars .anyway the pump has been removed and is being cleaned up (cleaning it fixes most of the problems most of the time)

It fixed the problem that I was facing and the car ran fine for roughly 2 hours .the next day however unfortunately the power steering box started to leak and all the fluid leaked out. It's a struggle ihve had with a seal inside the power steering which the car simply isint accepting any other similar seal close to the original. I Need the ag8907e Seal to fix the car. OR look at completely altering and changing up the power steering system all together so that it will be a reliable daily use car as the power steering is the only thing holding it back from achieving its former full glory.

Back