Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ60 owner from Malvern area

dubyab

Country Flag
uk
Greetings fellow cruisers of the land!

full.jpg

A year ago I bought this HJ60 from a top guy called Mark, he did a tonne of welding and bodywork and I've continued working on it since, mainly mechanical stuff and its in pretty good order.
Its a 2H and is running 33's , a snorkel, mix and match of suspension and when I get chance to mod the bumper a husky winch.
Looking to do some green laning with it this year as I have some free time at last.
I'm pretty happy with it but I'd like to fit 4.11 gears and/or a turbo as the 33's have dented the performance somewhat...
Its good to see an active 60 series section on here!
Cheers, Will

Now that looks lovely and i like the 33’s too. Mines on 31’s which will have to stay while i commute to work but one day larger tyres will be fitted.
Welcome and thanks fir the pic

View attachment 146043

A year ago I bought this HJ60 from a top guy called Mark, he did a tonne of welding and bodywork and I've continued working on it since, mainly mechanical stuff and its in pretty good order.
Its a 2H and is running 33's , a snorkel, mix and match of suspension and when I get chance to mod the bumper a husky winch.
Looking to do some green laning with it this year as I have some free time at last.
I'm pretty happy with it but I'd like to fit 4.11 gears and/or a turbo as the 33's have dented the performance somewhat...
Cheers, Will
welcome indeed......................... magnificent rack!!

Welcome to the forum Will.

Another one of my old Cruisers. I had it for 3 years before Mark and it was a good runner. When he bought it I let him take salvageable bits of bodywork of one I was breaking to clone on to it. There is a build thread on here ( his namewas "Mark Overland") and he had it on the road in a very quick time. I also sold him the bumper and the springs (if they are the red ones).
BTW I have several Turbo conversions for the 2H engines squirreled away ( just saying like).
4.11 gears do a really good job of balancing the performance with bigger tyres as the 2H doesn't appreciate 33's and can be found on the automatic version of the 60/61 ( which are rare) You might get lucky and find an auto being broken or just have to buy new CW/P and have them installed. I've had several sets of 4.11's but they sell like billyo.
Nice to see it re surface, I saw it on Ebay when it was up for sale.

View attachment 146043

Cheers, Will
Welcome Will. that looks good , I had one back in the day, the best cruiser IMO, all the best with it . and again Welcome.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome to the world of pain that is 60 series ownership!!
I think it’s 4.1s I’ve got on mine now (Andy will confirm) and they make the Speedo over read by only about 3-4% on 235/85 x16s which will do for me

Welcome from France! I see a brown 60 most mornings, the owner really gives it some beans as it's usually flying along in the opposite direction!

Thanks all, a great welcome!
The pic was taken before the red leafs went in so it looks less lop sided now.
It seems the 60's world is a small one and its good to hear you know of its history Andy, I found Mark's thread about the resto he did - https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/rusty-hj60-restoration-and-overland-build.135019/
A very impressive task and one I'm glad he did rather than me, there's still a few holes here and there but these can only add character I think.
He included a spare front axle in the sale, fingers crossed its from an auto which leaves one less to find!
I'll message you about the turbo kit.

I've thought changing for an 80 for the extra power, coils and lockers but there's just something appealing about the basic and bombproof feeling of a 60 :sunglasses:

Thanks all, a great welcome!
The pic was taken before the red leafs went in so it looks less lop sided now.
It seems the 60's world is a small one and its good to hear you know of its history Andy, I found Mark's thread about the resto he did - https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/rusty-hj60-restoration-and-overland-build.135019/
A very impressive task and one I'm glad he did rather than me, there's still a few holes here and there but these can only add character I think.
He included a spare front axle in the sale, fingers crossed its from an auto which leaves one less to find!
I'll message you about the turbo kit.

I've thought changing for an 80 for the extra power, coils and lockers but there's just something appealing about the basic and bombproof feeling of a 60 :sunglasses:

Well Will to answer the Q about the front axle, he bought it from me and its deffo not an auto one. The red leaf springs he also bought from me and they stand every chance of being Iron Man ones.

Ah well thanks for letting me know, I may end up ordering new rings and pinions from the states, of course the temptation then is to add a detroit locker to the order...
Those springs are certainly firm, I changed the shocks for uprated ones which improved it a bit but its still pretty bouncy, the rears have lifted shackles which I think could be making things worse?

TBF 60's have bouncy suspension period. The best springs are Toyota's own But Old man Emu ones are pretty much a copy.

Now that looks lovely and i like the 33’s too. Mines on 31’s which will have to stay while i commute to work but one day larger tyres will be fitted.
Welcome and thanks fir the pic

Cheers Ben, yours looks great with the dark wheels, been meaning to do that to mine too. I think 31's would ideal on the standard gearing.

welcome indeed......................... magnificent rack!!
Its an creation by the previous owner made from pressurised airline tubing, seems very strong! Just need a roof tent to fit it now...

Welcome from France! I see a brown 60 most mornings, the owner really gives it some beans as it's usually flying along in the opposite direction!

I'm guessing its a turbo then? mine is definitely a plodder as opposed to a flyer although it does sound good doing so

TBF 60's have bouncy suspension period. The best springs are Toyota's own But Old man Emu ones are pretty much a copy.

OME or Toyota are off the cards for now due to cost but that's good to know, I have a mk3 Hilux on OME springs all round that handles great.
I don't seem able to message you about the turbo kit - perhaps I need to get to 20 posts first... cheers

Hi and welcome to the world of pain that is 60 series ownership!!
I think it’s 4.1s I’ve got on mine now (Andy will confirm) and they make the Speedo over read by only about 3-4% on 235/85 x16s which will do for me

Is yours a 2H moggy? 235/85/16 work out to be 31.73" so not far off my part worn 33's im sure.

Hi, welcome along. Nice truck and you're only a few miles away from me.

I also contemplating bigger tyres at the moment, like Moggy, 235/85R16. So would be interested to see how much your 33" are hindering performance.

You will find details of my 60-series in my garage section, on my profile page .

Cheers,

Nick.

Back