Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hj61 motor continues to run once ignition is switched off

maddog632

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I have been having issues with my hj61 landcruiser it has a 12ht and lately it has been running after I turn the ignition off.
It will run real rough and blow smoke a lot.
If I turn the back to the on position it will fire back up and run fine and then if I wait for a while it will turn off fine.
All I need to know is if someone else has had this problem and if they were able to fix it themselves or if they got a mechanic to do it for them. Cheers

Check that your oil level isn't too high. It may not have been high to start with but can creep up if there is a fluid leak into the sump.

I would suggest that your choke valve isnt closing.

From the FSM

Close the air intake shutter (by hand). Its on the right hand side(from drivers position) of the engine on top of the inlet manifold.
You might want to check to see if the vacuum tubes are connected to the actuator(round object with a diapragm inside) from the vacumm solenoid valve (VSV).

good luck

Thought this was called 'dieseling' and can be caused by the fuel cut-off solenoid not doing it's thing and shutting down the fuel pump correctly? So that may be worth a check.

Here is an example of dieseling, starts at 0:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8cVCTvv-I

Petrol engines do it, if a diesel does it it means the combustion chamber is still getting fuel.
Could be worn rings allowing oil to be burnt, worst case, or the fuel shut off is not shutting off in which case the engine continues to run as if you have not switched it off.

Good luck finding the cause, please let us know what you find.

Last edited:
turbo diesel landrovers of old used to do this because they blew oil back up into the airfilter as the engines started to fail (after about 90000 miles believe it or not!!). when really bad the engine would just continue to accelerate, combusting on itself, until it blew up!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is a vacuum problem. You have problem with some small vacuum hose. Check small hoses around intake or 4x4 electric solenoid.
I also had this problem.I found that the vacuum hose leading to the solenoid coupling and decoupling 4x4 was broken.

Back