Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ75 rear brake line spliter with... uhh.. what?

Sandmann

Country Flag
australia
OK so I got my mate's 'cruiser back from the mechanic today... new bushes, brakes all round, tie rod ends, bunch of other stuff. It's actually driveable now, so that's nice. I was trying to trace an electric problem in the rear lights (we have flashy disco lights whenever you use the brake and turn signal at the same time, but that's another story) and I noticed what looked like a fuel filter sticking out of the bad of the cab where the wiring harness comes out, connected to a rubber hose, that goes all the way back to the brake line splitter mounted on the rear axle. Then I realised the fuel filter was stuck into half an old fuse holder that was wired into the wiring for the tail light! Who's been working on this thing!? So now I have a fuel filter hanging in mid air behind the cab, attached to a rubber hose that for some reason connects to the brake line splitter and appears to be factory. I can't find any reference to it in the manual I've got, or anywhere else online. Anyone got any idea what it is I'm looking at here?

Oh and while I'm at it... any idea where I can get a new rear wiring harness for a reasonable price? This one's been chopped up, added to, had scotch-locks added in and pulled out etc and isn't worth saving.

I think a photo or two may be called for on this one Sandmann... :think:

I think a photo or two may be called for on this one Sandmann... :think:

Y'know Clive I was really hoping to avoid crawling round under a car in the middle of the night, but you're right... in this case there's no way round it. :)

The first pic shows the brake line splitter on the rear axle. The two greeen ovals are the lines to either hub, the blue is the flexible line to the proportional valve, and the red is the flexible line that wanders off to the front of the vehicle.

The following pictures show it as it loops up past the wheel/shock absorber with the very factory looking mounting bracket, and ending up at an old fuel filter just behind the cab. The fuel filter WAS stuck into a fuse holder that I've since removed.

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

Matt
20170913_202319.jpg
20170913_202406.jpg
20170913_202440.jpg

This is a bit of a long shot...
On my 60 series axle the breather is next to the splitter but I don't see it on yours so maybe the splitter and breather are incorporated into one piece and if so the tube going up (red circle) is the axle breather.

Regards,

Rodger

This is a bit of a long shot...
On my 60 series axle the breather is next to the splitter but I don't see it on yours so maybe the splitter and breather are incorporated into one piece and if so the tube going up (red circle) is the axle breather.

Regards,

Rodger

That's the best thought I've heard so far. So uhh... if it WERE the axle breather... where should it end up?

Matt

Now I'm really guessing but from your description of its path maybe between the cab and the front of the pick up bed. Are there signs of an old or broken clip somewhere around there?
As you say the location clips look to be factory so working from the last one you should be able to find it or its remains.
Hope that helps but it's all guesswork.

Regards,
Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now I'm really guessing but from your description of its path maybe between the cab and the front of the pick up bed. Are there signs of an old or broken clip somewhere around there?
As you say the location clips look to be factory so working from the last one you should be able to find it or its remains.
Hope that helps but it's all guesswork.

Regards,
Rodger

Good thinking... will check it out tomorrow in the day light. :) Can't drive it right now coz it's got no rear lights else I'd take it back to the mechanic and ask them.

Thanks much. :)
Matt

[edit] Just found a video showing how to extend the diff breathers on earlier Toyotas and it should a loop in the end of the hose. If you look in the last picture you'll see there's a loop in this one too, so that lends weight to your theory.

Last edited:
By Jove, I recon you've cracked it Rodger... :lol::thumbup:

Back