Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Home made drawer/storage system ideas? Materials, layout, etc?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
The more I develop my requirements the more I begin to feel that a pair of built-in, sliding drawers for the rear of my 80 are going to be a useful addition for our planned trips. One will be pretty much solely for food, the other for regularly used items such as cooking equipment, cutlery/crockery, washing kit, etc. Recovery gear and the like will be used less often (I hope) and have its owns Wolf case.

Anyway, I cannot justify the immense expense of some of these off-the-shelf kits, no matter how well developed they are, and I am yet to find anything sensibly priced, so DIY is the only way. Having been inspired by the drawer slides from GSF (found in this thread, FYI: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/54782-Drawer-slide-supplier-recommendations) I feel this is the way to go.

What I want to know is, what material(s) would people recommend using for construction? I am keen to keep weight down, so the idea of using 12-15mm MDF everywhere doesn't sounds like a great idea. I don't want to get into welding something up either really, but are there any metal fabrications (lengths of L-shaped drilled plate?) that can be used for a frame in conjunction with something else perhaps? I've heard of hexboard before, but no idea how workable it is, where to get it from or how much it is?

Any suggestions and ideally photographs of your builds would be greatly appreciated :)

Have a look at Andy Cooks Hilux build, he used some sort of metal for the draw frames

Panels could be bolted/screwed on or these sections of tube could be used to have a panel flush with the frame

1411.jpg

I wouldn't want to put much load on them using this system though.

Drawer slides would take a bit more thought, my plans for a new system is based around not having drawers so I've not looked into this much. I plan to use euro containers with a base which slides out on low friction plastic runners rather than use proper slides.

Linky to a build using a similar system but with slides

http://www.overland.co.za/Packing_Systems/Peter_Levey/01_Frame_Closed.html

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sam, Andy and Ben all did a sterling job of making them from conduit.

I saw a picture of the AO one being installed into a 100 series and just thought, hang on. Where have I seen that before....

Drawers.JPG

I actually have a very detailed photo file that someone sent me of the complete build Mike. It's worth seeing. I have quite a bit of stuff on drawers. In the end though a set came up for £750 and I got there before anyone else.

Cable tray is the way forward, cost about £180 to make mine with all the bolts etc etc.

Sam, Andy and Ben all did a sterling job of making them from conduit.

I saw a picture of the AO one being installed into a 100 series and just thought, hang on. Where have I seen that before....

View attachment 19072

I actually have a very detailed photo file that someone sent me of the complete build Mike. It's worth seeing. I have quite a bit of stuff on drawers. In the end though a set came up for £750 and I got there before anyone else.
Same thing here. I've tried a few DIY 'till I came across AO for Hilux double cab for a fraction of its cost. I got them and resize to fit in an 80. They are build strong and simple, No welding, just bolt on. And resizing was so simple. Have a good look at those if you have a chance and copy them.Here's a diagram with some measurements for an 80.

Attachments

• drawerDIAG.jpg
    drawerDIAG.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,530
Used 18mm waterproof ply for the outside, heavy but solid, screwed and glued.
I have started to cut out sections to make it lighter.
Shelves and slide are 12mm, all the draw slides are from GSF and looking back should have got the locking variant.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431081251.375212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431081263.772347.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431081374.425869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutlery tray is an inspiration. Handy replacing the space you lose when you open the fridge, with a worktop area too

Mike / Mark - what route did you take? Are new drawers built ? Will read through above links … lightweight, no welding, strong ...

Last edited:
No not yet, other projects got in the way this year like dealing with some rust issues. A new build is on the cards at some point in the future though

Keen to see what builds are out there with cable tray or the square tubing ?

Same thing here. I've tried a few DIY 'till I came across AO for Hilux double cab for a fraction of its cost. I got them and resize to fit in an 80. They are build strong and simple, No welding, just bolt on. And resizing was so simple. Have a good look at those if you have a chance and copy them.Here's a diagram with some measurements for an 80.

Hi George
Do you happen to have any other drawings that show the overall dimensions for 80 drawers (length/width) ?

Rather liking the drawer within a drawer within a drawer idea. Nice design that.

Hi George
Do you happen to have any other drawings that show the overall dimensions for 80 drawers (length/width) ?
Ooops! Just read your post. Well better late reply, than no reply:) I dont have any other drawings and dont even remember where did I got them from. The reason I have it is because my "African Outback"drawers were originaly in my double cab Toyota Hilux pickup truck, made for the truck at 153cm. long. I cut them to fit my 80. Used the diagrams as a reference

Last edited:
Back